255-cal. Vegetarian Sweet Chili (Slow-Cooker)

Options
McKayMachina
McKayMachina Posts: 2,670 Member
I loveloveLOVE slow-cooker recipes and this one is easy as pie. Er. Chili.

Change up the ingredients to your liking. I just sort of combined a few different online recipes and then added some stuff that sounded awesome. I live in Georgia now and picked up some peaches from a roadside stand on the way home from the beach today so those went in the slow-cooker, too. haha Get creative!

Makes 8 total 2-cup servings. Macros will vary depending on what you add/change.

2 cups crushed tomatoes
2 cans black beans
2 cans pinto beans
1 can butter beans
2 red bell peppers
3 small peaches (or 1 medium sweet potato)
1/2 yellow onion
1/2 red onion
12 oz. nonfat greek yogurt, plain
8 oz. extra-sharp cheddar cheese
1 tsp. dried basil
1 tsp. dried parsley
1 tsp. dried oregano
bunch fresh cilantro
cayenne powder (or cayenne-based hot sauce), to taste
salt, to taste
cumin, to taste
dash cinnamon

1. Put all beans and veggies (except for the fresh cilantro and red onion) in the slow cooker. Salt a bit. Turn it on high for 5-7 hours. You can add the cumin and cayenne now. Stir it up and leave it alone.

2. In the last half hour of cooking, add the dried herbs and more salt if you need it.

3. Use the greek yogurt in place of sour cream (a dollop on top of each serving). Sprinkle with shredded cheese, cilantro leaves, diced red onion and a little more cayenne. It makes it look pretty.

Eat the **** out of it. Delishemz.

:drinker:

Replies

• Tamstar1985
    Tamstar1985 Posts: 334 Member
    Options
    oh! this looks lovely :D

do you think i should skin the peaches first? just so i don't end up with fuzzy chili...
  • MB_Positif
    MB_Positif Posts: 8,897 Member
    Options
    sounds excellent! thanks for sharing!
  • Charlottejogs
    Charlottejogs Posts: 351 Member
    Options
    interesting, sounds good
  • McKayMachina
    Options
    oh! this looks lovely :D

do you think i should skin the peaches first? just so i don't end up with fuzzy chili...

You totally could. I left them on because I like food sort of rustic. ;p Plus, the skin has an interesting bitterness and texture.
  • McKayMachina
    Options
    Just added half a bottle of beer, too. ;-p

MGD64 so not much caloric change. :)
  • ImNotThatBob
    ImNotThatBob Posts: 371 Member
    Options
    Bump so I can add to my favorite recipes.
  • SabKab16
    SabKab16 Posts: 114 Member
    Options
    Are u sure peaches will taste good? or will it make it too sweet?? I've never made chili....

And, what exactly does bump mean? lol
  • Raina27
    Raina27 Posts: 133
    Options
    I would think the sodium would be sky high with using all canned beans...but it sounds good!
  • FoodieGal09
    FoodieGal09 Posts: 198 Member
    Options
    Love sweet chilli, so will definitely try this. Thanks!
  • McKayMachina
    Options
    Are u sure peaches will taste good? or will it make it too sweet?? I've never made chili....

And, what exactly does bump mean? lol

I used three small peaches in place of one sweet potato and I definitely do not think it was "too" sweet. But it was sweet! All the red peppers, fresh tomatoes and onion were sweet enough on their own. The peaches added a really cool extra element. This is a sweet chili recipe (see title) but if you don't like sweet chili, skip them! :)
    I would think the sodium would be sky high with using all canned beans...but it sounds good!

Yup. About 1000 mg per serving. I wanted to use dried beans but bought the new slow-cooker late in the day and I wanted dinner to be ready for when my BF got home. ;) But, by all means, throw in dried beans! I love slow-cooker beans. You don't have to soak or pre-cook them. Just pick out any impurities and rinse well. Then toss them in with all the wet ingredients! :)

Good call.
  • cfaye01
    cfaye01 Posts: 20
    Options
    thanks for sharing! Cant wait to try this!
  • ChristineS_51
    ChristineS_51 Posts: 872 Member
    Options
    Yum - my son, daughter in law, & daughter's new boyfriend are all vegetarian so I like to collect recipes. I also love beans etc and could happily be vegetarian (we all were for about two years). Keeping this for later :-) I have a new slow cooker I have never used et!
  • BBoros
    BBoros Posts: 68 Member
    Options
    Sounds yummy, I am going to try it.
  • Punkedpoetess
    Punkedpoetess Posts: 633 Member
    Options
    Sounds interesting and yummy, I love the slow cooker and love homemade chili. I definately want to try this. :smile: