What can't I lose weight?

Options

Replies

• Gagaluvr
    Gagaluvr Posts: 73 Member
    Options
    BMR 1506.1 what's TDEE?? So whatever I burn in calories I HAVE to eat back?!
  • Gagaluvr
    Options
    TDEE is 2062, I put in light exercise since I can't workout much now due to surgery
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    Options
    BMR is 1506? Your net should never be below that. In other words: The number of calories you're left with after exercising shouldn't be below 1506.
  • CallMeCupcakeDammit
    CallMeCupcakeDammit Posts: 9,377 Member
    Options

So you don't want to eat below 1506. TDEE is total daily energy expenditure. It's how much you burn in a day doing daily activity. You should eat back most of your exercise calories. Another thread to read is In place of a roadmap! You'll have to do a search on the boards for that. It was coming up weird when I tried to get you the link.
  • Glucocorticoid
    Glucocorticoid Posts: 867 Member
    Options
    I weight 160 and I'm 5'10" I've weighed this weight forever and I just want to lose 10 lbs and have more definition. I know some days are blank but my breakfast past lunch are pretty much the same. Dinner varies. Now that I think about it I don't eat back my calories that I lose while working out. I do 30 min elliptical and 20 min treadmill. Then I switched it up. I started running, 3 min at 6.0 and fast walk 2 min. Did that 5-6 times. I want to start running and do 5K's in the future. But with this hernia operation its putting a hold on exercise which bums me out.

What is your daily macronutrient intake?

Don't eat back your exercise calories. I would eat at maintenance until you get healed up. Afterwards, begin a traditional resistance training routine and cut down on your cardio.
  • Glucocorticoid
    Options
    No, do not eat back your exercise calories. Don't even track them.

And do not equate your BMR to your daily maintenance intake. They are two different things.
  • Marge321
    Marge321 Posts: 131 Member
    Options
    Yes eat those exercise calories back! Your body need to repair and heal.

TDEE is the amount of calories your body burns in a day for normal activities: working, walking, cooking your meal, etc.
    Opposed to BMR which is the amount of calories you burn if you stay on a chair all day long or if you are in a coma...it's the calories your body need to make your heart beat, your brain to work as a minimum...

I'm 5f10 and from what I've been calculating, I need to eat around 1660 calories a day and I will lose a pound a week.

800 calories is really not enough and your body will keep all it can instead of losing. This is starvation...
  • firesoforion
    firesoforion Posts: 1,017 Member
    Options
    I've had this problem for a long while now. I've eaten more, eaten less, hit my macros, made my macros more intense. I wish I could tell you something, but my current guess is overtraining. Do you have a HRM? I just got one and was going well over my target (and probably even maximum) heart rate when exercising, and I did hit this point, right after my best exercising (running), that I could hardly do it anymore. Something to look into that I hadn't heard that much about, and it can stop you from losing weight, I read. Good luck!
  • Sarauk2sf
    Sarauk2sf Posts: 28,072 Member
    Options
    Its just math. You are eating more or the same as you are using. Either up your workout drastically, or stop eating so much. I think mfp overestimates how many calories most people need. Eat less, and you will weigh less. The less fat you have on your body the harder it is to come off too.. your body wants to hold on to the last little bit. MFP says I should eat 1200 but when I eat that much I gain weight- even with excerise. Eating around 800 and working out, thats the only way I can lose wight. Drop the cals :( Hang in there!

This is terrible advice. DO NOT drop your calories - you will mess up your metabolism even more.
  • MsMandyGrace
    Options
    I dunno why everyone just said what I said is unhealthy without knowing me. For me, its not. My dr and dance instructors know how much I eat and excersize, and say for my body it is healthy. I dont have any negative medical side effects from the way I eat. Everyones body is different.
  • Gagaluvr
    Options
    Ok what percentage is best 10 or 20% of caloric goal to lose weight? I'm so glad I posted this. Everyone is super helpful!! Thanks again :wink:
  • Glucocorticoid
    Options
    Ok what percentage is best 10 or 20% of caloric goal to lose weight? I'm so glad I posted this. Everyone is super helpful!! Thanks again :wink:

How do you plan on calculating the deficit when you do not know your maintenance intake?

But to answer your question, it depends.

Read this if you are interested in the pros and cons:

http://www.bodyrecomposition.com/fat-loss/setting-the-deficit-small-moderate-or-large.html
  • Gagaluvr
    Options
    When I'm at the gym I do cardio HARD! I don't know how I could up it any further?? I think 50 min is more than enuf especially since last year I was only doing 30 min and lifting.
  • CallMeCupcakeDammit
    CallMeCupcakeDammit Posts: 9,377 Member
    Options

Since you only have 10 lbs to lose, you shouldn't cut it too much, so 10-15% should be ok. I'm not saying this as a professional, just from all of the professional advice I've gotten. You should aim for .5 lb a week.
  • JadeRabbit08
    JadeRabbit08 Posts: 551 Member
    Options
    snip...

If someone is really small, 800 can be reasonable.
    ..snip

Yes if they are smaller than a 4 year old it would be reasonable
  • Sarauk2sf
    Sarauk2sf Posts: 28,072 Member
    Options
    I dunno why everyone just said what I said is unhealthy without knowing me. For me, its not. My dr and dance instructors know how much I eat and excersize, and say for my body it is healthy. I dont have any negative medical side effects from the way I eat. Everyones body is different.

We did were not talking about you, we were saying it was terrible advice to give to someone else (who by the way, YOU do not know). And since when is a dance instructor an expert on nutritian (which most doctors are not either). There is a reason that MFP gives a warning when you go below 1200 calories.
  • firesoforion
    firesoforion Posts: 1,017 Member
    Options
    When I'm at the gym I do cardio HARD! I don't know how I could up it any further?? I think 50 min is more than enuf especially since last year I was only doing 30 min and lifting.

If you're going really hard, maybe you do need to lessen it. At least for a while. Focus on something else, and go at a moderate pace.
  • Gagaluvr
    Options
    Thank u everyone for the awesome feedback!!
  • ladyjoie
    ladyjoie Posts: 165 Member
    Options
    Try incorporating some weight lifting into your routine - muscles burns more calories than fat and can assist loss. Alternatively, you'll lose inches but not weight. Still a good result!
  • Wisewoman888
    Wisewoman888 Posts: 72 Member
    Options
    See a naturopath! I went and found out I had a thyroid condition (too slow) and my pituitary gland needed a huge boost! Both of these things are barely noticeable in the scheme of things but can sabotage your efforts HUGELY and basically stop all weightloss efforts if not ADD pounds! So get yourself checked out. I did and I'll keep you posted on my progress. Add me if you like!