Thick thighs............not so bad after all

Options
ninerbuff
ninerbuff Posts: 48,692 Member
Thicker Thighs = Improved Health?
by Ryan Halvorson
... a world where thin is in, scientists are suggesting that thicker thighs could mean better health. A study published in the Harvard ...
In a world where thin is in, scientists are suggesting that thicker thighs could mean better health. A study published in the Harvard Men’s Health Watch newsletter (www.health.harvard.edu/newsletters/Harvard_Mens_Health_Watch/2012/January) involved 2,816 apparently healthy men and women aged 35–65. Each participant was measured for height and weight and for thigh, hip and waist circumference. Subjects were tracked for 12.5 years on average.
Rest of article reads: Participants with a measurement of 62cm of the thigh were determined to have a lower risk of heart disease and lower risk of premature death.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
IDEA Fitness member
Kickboxing Certified Instructor
Been in fitness for 28+ years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

Replies

• ishallnotwant
    ishallnotwant Posts: 1,210 Member
    Options
    I'm learning to love mine. Coupled with a smaller waist, it creates a nice curvy look. :happy:
  • DAM_Fine
    DAM_Fine Posts: 1,292 Member
    Options
    <
    Are these thick or not? I have no idea.
  • bjsquires
    bjsquires Posts: 72 Member
    Options
    I have thick thighs 24 1/2 inches...if i could get my flatten my tummy and tone the thighs, I would love it!!
  • nammer79
    nammer79 Posts: 707 Member
    Options
    I can get behind this topic as I don't have thin ones myself
  • tageekly
    tageekly Posts: 3,755 Member
    Options
    I needed to read this - I took updated measurements this weekend and my thighs grew! I know it's muscle because I've been doing more weight training, with heavier weights, the last few months, but I was shocked. I guess the muscle increase is a good thing though.
  • Fit4Evolution
    Fit4Evolution Posts: 375 Member
    Options
    all this endurance training is getting mine thicker.. and more solid .. thighs that is..lol
  • rudegyal_b
    rudegyal_b Posts: 593 Member
    Options
    check out all the chicks in turbofire, no stick thighs there
  • zoom2
    zoom2 Posts: 934 Member
    Options
    Ha, I just measured my thigh...mine are almost exactly the size recommended in the study. When I lose weight my thighs don't get much slimmer, but my waist, face, and arms do. I am an avid cyclist and runner, so my thighs are kinda badass...and I don't want to change that.
  • go_getter89
    go_getter89 Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    I love mine! Always have
  • Enigmatica
    Enigmatica Posts: 879 Member
    Options
    Well that's good news for me, lol. I have a small waist but have often longed for those long lean thighs that my body will not allow. Guess I'll just have to appreciate what I have!
  • brandiuntz
    brandiuntz Posts: 2,717 Member
    Options
    I like that I have strong legs. I naturally carry any extra weight in the the thighs/butt/lower abs. "Thick" thighs can do so much. :)
  • the_great_unknown
    the_great_unknown Posts: 194 Member
    Options
    Thanks for posting this. I think terrible thoughts about my thighs whenever I am shopping for pants, but I appreciate that I have a healthier shape than the alternative.
  • zoom2
    zoom2 Posts: 934 Member
    Options
    I should really be passive-aggressive and send that link to my MIL. She is 4.5" taller than me and has long, thin legs. She whines about being overweight when she weighs 5-10#s less than I do (she's actually at the ideal weight for her height, while I am a least 25#s over mine) and is nearly 30 years older than I am.

But she has high BP, high triglycerides, and mediocre cholesterol. My #s always make my PCP look twice, because they are so freaky good (last time I was checked my triglycerides were 35...yes, 35, not 135 and my HDL/LDL ratio was nearly 1:1. My BP is generally in the 110/60-70 range) and my exterior doesn't really reflect my internal health.
  • BerryH
    BerryH Posts: 4,698 Member
    Options
    Do you think ninerbuff has a wager on with a friend that he can get a dozen women to run for the tape measure and measure their thighs? :laugh:

62cm on the dot, can't say I have many other perfect measurements :wink:
  • Oishii
    Oishii Posts: 2,675 Member
    Options
    I just measured my thigh for the first time in my life! Only 52cm :cry:
  • chrisdavey
    chrisdavey Posts: 9,834 Member
    Options
    Jealous of all these measurements! I'm only 57cm :( (Hopefully more after I'm finished with this Smolov squat program! :devil: )
  • supertracylynn
    supertracylynn Posts: 1,338 Member
    Options
    My thighs maintained decent thickness over my journey. Mostly because I started jogging/running though. So the fat cells decreased and muscles for bigger :):)
  • snewsome7
    snewsome7 Posts: 189
    Options
    <
    Are these thick or not? I have no idea.

I'd have to say no :] But that is comparing them to mine. One of my thighs is both of yours put together lol.
  • forgtmenot
    forgtmenot Posts: 860 Member
    Options
    I hate my "thick thighs". I just measured mine and they are 58cm at the widest point and I only weigh 130lbs :/ If it means I'm healthier though I guess I can try to be happy about them! haha
  • flabulous4
    flabulous4 Posts: 599 Member
    Options
    I just measured my thigh for the first time in my life! Only 52cm :cry:

Cheer up, mine are 48. I feel inadequate. :sad:
    They're definitely more muscly than they were though!