Shin Splints. Enough said..

Options
Run through the pain or switch to swimming/biking? I've been soar before, this is different. My left shin hurts so bad I have trouble just walking. Any tips? I'm at the point where I actually enjoy running, I don't want want to stop now :(

Replies

• LaurenAOK
    LaurenAOK Posts: 2,475 Member
    Options
    Definitely give the running a break. I've had shin splints and they are nasty. You need to let them heal or you will be physically unable to run any more.

I found that when I bandaged mine it helped a little with everyday walking and such.
  • bobbyandthekid
    Options
    Treat it just like a sprain. It will take a good 4 weeks to heal. Keep walking but running my be out for a bit. A bike should be a great trade off. Nothing wrong with Ibuprofen 30 minutes before a work out.
  • wbgolden
    wbgolden Posts: 2,071 Member
    Options
  • marisol_cd
    Options
    Thanks! I've been looking at some supportive leg sleeves and athletic tape. Have you guys used any similar products? I normally try to avoid taking pain killers but this pain is killing me!
  • FORIANN
    FORIANN Posts: 273 Member
    Options
    .proper shoes.

.ice.

FOAM ROLLER...
  • Di3012
    Di3012 Posts: 2,250 Member
    Options
    Run through the pain or switch to swimming/biking? I've been soar before, this is different. My left shin hurts so bad I have trouble just walking. Any tips? I'm at the point where I actually enjoy running, I don't want want to stop now :(

You can't run through the pain in the end, it gets too bad - unfortunately it will not go away by running through it :(

Remove the insoles that are presently in your trainers and replace with Sorbothane Insoles, they have a 10 year lifespan and take away 80% of the shock caused by pounding the pavements.

Run on softer ground such as grass, sand or dirt-track, as this lessens the impact even more and you can happily continue to run.