1560 Not Enough for 6'4" 220lbs Male

If I want to lose 2lbs a week this is what was recommended by MFP. Should I not be using this number and eat more calories?

Replies

• robot_potato
    robot_potato Posts: 1,535 Member
    I would change it to lose one pound a week, and make sure all your information is correct. I'm a 5'7" 155 pound female, and i lose a pound a week steadily at 1520 calories.
  • trinitrate
    trinitrate Posts: 219 Member
    Sounds like it could be right if you expect 2 lbs / week.. If it's not enough food to 'feel full'... throw 300 - 500 calories of exercise into it and eat those calories back.. You'll raise your cardio health, enjoy your meals more and still loose 2 lbs a week.

Alt, lower it to 1 / week. At 6'4 I would assume you're not going too much lower.. As you approach your goal weight you might consider slowing your rate of loss..
  • Gordie580
    Gordie580 Posts: 154 Member
    do a search and find a calculator that will give you a fairly good idea on what your body needs to eat to maintain. I think 1560 is to low. I eat around 1900-2000 a day and I am 5-9 and now 205. but I was at 230, and I have lost an ave of about 2.5 on 1900-2000 a day
  • kdeaux1959
    kdeaux1959 Posts: 2,675 Member
    6'4" and 220.. What is your goal weight? Normal weight range tops out (according to BMI) only about 15 or so pounds lower... I am 6'3: and 291.8... My caloric allowance for a 2 lb loss per week is 2270 ... Of course as my weight goes down, this number will go down. Also realize that 1560 is not a lot... You do get to add your exercise calories in... So if you burn 1000 calories ... I do this regularly, you would be allowed 2560 calories for the day.. A lot more doable. This number seems a bit low but that near your target range.... it is not that bad...

Another thing is ... Perhaps rather than weight loss, maybe pushing weight training to build muscle mass... You are near a point where you would be healthy at the weight you are now if your muscle mass to fat ratio improved....
  • cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 34,319 Member
    At 6'4" 220 You really don't have that much to lose!!

Use the site as it is set up. Don't over-think this. Re-evaluate in a month. In the meantime, educate yourself. There are lots of conflicting ways to figure your calories. This site does a good job if you use it honestly and don't be too aggressive.

If you have 75+ lbs to lose 2 lbs/week is ideal,
    If you have 40-75 lbs to lose 1.5 lbs/week is ideal,
    If you have 25-40 lbs to lose 1 lbs/week is ideal,
    If you have 15 -25 lbs to lose 0.5 to 1.0 lbs/week is ideal, and
    If you have less than 15 lbs to lose 0.5 lbs/week is ideal.

From the MFP BMR calculator page:
    "Our calculator uses the Mifflin-St. Jeor equations to estimate your BMR which is believed to be more accurate than the more commonly used Harris-Benedict equation."

These are the Mifflin-St. Jeor equations (weight in kilograms, the height in centimeters, and the age in years):

Men
    10 x weight (kg) + 6.25 x height (cm) - 5 x age (y) + 5

Women
    10 x weight (kg) + 6.25 x height (cm) - 5 x age (y) - 161.

YOU are responsible for choosing an accurate activity rate. Don't try to speed up the process by choosing "Sedentary" just because it is an option.

Almost no one is Sedentary. If you care for children at home, or go to school or have ANY type of job, you are not Sedentary. Choose accordingly.

The reason this site, Myfitnesspal, uses the Mifflin-St. Jeor equations is because this site allows you more flexibility in your added exercise. In reality, some people will not get much if any real exercise, and MFPal gives you the option to add this in as needed.

That is why the Mifflin-St. Joer equation is a better tool than the more commonly used Harris-Benedict equation.
  • union410
    union410 Posts: 32
    Wow this website is awesome. My goal weight is 200. Then I will bulk up with muscle. I realize 220 is not much, but it's not my goal. I want to be 200 by July 1st. So 20 pounds in 2 1/2 months. I exercise every day for at least 30 minutes. On average, I burn 500 calories a day. So I eat at least 2,000 calories. And I actually feel great.
  • Helloitsdan
    Helloitsdan Posts: 5,564 Member
    Union!

PM me your:

Weight
    Body Fat%
    What lifting program you have chosen to change your life.

I'll help you get your numbers in line.