I NEEEEED UR SUPPORT!!!

Options
I am a 34yr. old mother of three.....Just had foot surgery in Dec. and am about 65lbs. over weight (killing my knees) the LARGEST I have ever been you look at my Name and you'll see what I weight....lol I need as many friends that will motivate me as possible and want to kick off this weight together. I started on the 11th keeping my food and exersiZe recorded and since then I have lost 5lbs......I have 60 more to goooooo. I am a single parent and am on a fixed budget only can grochery shop once a month...this doesn't help me in the fresh veggies/fruit catagory which I love because by the second week they are either gone or bad and I can't shop for another two weeks..... :( frustrating!! So some advice in healthy shoping on a budget would be much appreciated!!! Hope to see lots of you on my friends list :) Take care and good luck!!

Replies

• cash_money
    Options
    Good luck with your goal, i know that you will accomplish it, you are already on the right track!
  • HelpWanted220
    HelpWanted220 Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    Thanks Cash Money I appreciate it!! Yes I am excited and looking forward to my new family of friends and support :)
  • MsPeoples05
    Options
    I am single and my fresh fruits tend to go bad also. I started buying fruit in water. It is not fresh
    but it is better than the fruit in the syrup. I buy grapefruit, pineapple and oranges like that. These are
    normally found in the product section of the store. I LOVE grapefruit. For vegetables, I buy frozen instead me canned. I found that frozen vegetables don't have as much salt as the canned.

I hope that helps. Good luck on your journey.

Ms Peoples
  • bktibbetts
    bktibbetts Posts: 140
    Options
    Go ahead and add me! We ALL need support!
  • Gordie580
    Gordie580 Posts: 154 Member
    Options
    Good luck on your goal.
  • bobbyandthekid
    Options
    Living on my tiny island I know exactly what your saying about food going bad. Good Healthy and Cheap! Here are some great foods for times between shopping. All from Costco! Can last for months!

Breakfast: Old Fashioned Oats...Can be cooked with water if milk runs dry. Add Raisins, berries, apples, etc and Honey.
    Lunch: PB&J...the healthy way. Maranatha Almond Butter and Jelly. Alpine Valley Organic Whole Grain Bread. keep bread in freezer!
    Dinner: Boneless Skinless Chicken Breast, Broccoli and any other frozen veggie in mushroom soup. Yummo. Whole grain noodles work great if you have to hike the next morning!
  • HelpWanted220
    Options
    Thats awesome Bobby!! Thanks for the advice I will surely use it!! I am really excited right now ....lol I should be hitting the bed but instead I am up :) I'm gonna write those things down I don't have a costco/sams club card but I can get it from the local grocery store :)
  • HelpWanted220
    Options
    Thanks Gordie I appreciate the support!!
  • HelpWanted220
    Options
    Ms. Peoples thanks for the advice I am writing this allll down....lol :) this is awesome!! Thanks for the support!
  • TrishJimenez
    TrishJimenez Posts: 561 Member
    Options
    Congrats on your 5lb loss! Good Job! I am also like you in that I have a very limited food budget for my family. I buy a lot of frozen veggies when I buy groceries. And that holds us over when the fresh run out. Plus I hate throwing out food. And Frozen lasts a long time. You can also buy your fruit fresh and cut it up and prep it yourself and then freeze it bcuz frozen fruit is really expensive but since it seems like you and your kids love fruits and veggies you should go thru it fine before it gets freezer burned. One of my favorite treats when I was a kid in the summer was Popsicle made from cantaloupe. My mom just peeled the cantaloupe and cut it into crescents and laid it in a zip lock freezer bag then when we wanted a snack or Popsicle we just grabbed one and ate it frozen. That is just one idea I am sure you can think of many more. When ever we notice the bananas getting to ripe we just throw then in the freezer as they are. When we have a few we let them defrost and then peel them and make banana bread or cake or muffins. My daughter says the freezing of the banana breaks up the cells of the fruit and there is a better banana flavor in the breads and cakes. This way little goes to waste. You can also turn your fruits and veggies that are getting to ripe into smoothies for you and your kids for a nutritious snack. I recently found a lot of awesome recipes on skinnytaste.com Hope this helps and good luck
  • HelpWanted220
    Options
    Thanks Trish for this awesome advice I am writing fast....lol this is great I already love all the support :) Keep up the great work!! I love the frozen cantelope idea I LOVE thoses :) gonna do it tomorrow when the stores open back up!!
  • WifeNMama
    WifeNMama Posts: 2,876 Member
    Options
    Some tips I've acquired:
    Make sure to wash and completely dry fruit and veggies before putting them in the fridge. I put it all through 1 part vinegar 3 parts water, then rinse with cold. The vinegar kills the mold/bacteria (like the whitish film on grapes) and helps clean off any pesticides. Don't store it in the plastic bags they cone in because the plastic traps in moisture and makes things rot faster. Mushrooms should be covered so they don't wrinkle up so fast. Buy bananas in various stages of ripeness so they are ready to eat at different times, feel free to take apart the bunches if you have to. And don't put them in the fridge.

Also, freeze berries and grapes in a single layer on a cookie sheet, and once they're frozen, transfer them to a bag or container and throw them in the freezer. It keeps them good longer, and they taste great frozen. you can also slice up bananas or other fruit and do the same thing, for small chunks that blend easily into smoothies.
  • Laurej
    Laurej Posts: 227
    Options
    Wow That's a tough one! one thing to do with fruits / veggies that are at risk of going bad is to dry them in the oven at a very very low temperature. Drying directions for different things vary, but can easily be found online.

Are there any small local farms near you? lots of small local farms do whats called a weekly CSA ( community supported agriculture) box, for a set monthly price, you get a box of whatever produce is in season each week. A lot of times they will do a really good deal for those on a fixed or lower income, and may even be willing to reduce your cost for the boxes. They sometimes even allow work exchange for boxes.

That way you can get the fresh fruits veggies, even meats dairy etc depending on the farm, available to you weekly.

here's a link which could help you search for nearby farms that might be able to help :)

http://www.localharvest.org/
  • econut2000
    econut2000 Posts: 395 Member
    Options
    Congrats on your 5lbs! Off to a fabulous start :-)

Like others have said, frozen veggies!! Nothing wrong with that. Dried beans are a must in my house. I pretty much have cut out meat because it's cheaper to eat beans. I make a lot of soups - it makes things last longer! Just made a vegetarian chili using ~ half a bag of Goya 16 bean soup (it's a dry mix), a can of black beans, 1/2 of a red pepper, 1/2 a green pepper, 1 yellow squash, 1 green squash (you can always use frozen of course!), a whole sweet onion, 2 cans of diced tomatoes, and some seasonings. It's about 180 cals for a large bowl (it's very filling and I can eat A LOT) and makes about 6 servings. It's only me, so whatever doesn't get eaten gets frozen. There are 25 g of protein in this veg chili!!

Buy bread on the day old rack if your store has one and freeze it, clip coupons, shop the flyers if you can, buy in bulk, etc. There is a food co-op down the street from me that has bulk beans and grains - because it's not pre-packaged it's a lot cheaper to buy this way and you can buy only what you will use. I think Whole Foods has a section like that. I will also buy stuff at the dollar store (although sometimes you pay a little more than you would in the store so you have to be aware of prices) and there aren't too man healthy choices but you can find veggies usually and some other stuff.

Good luck!!
  • karen0214
    karen0214 Posts: 120 Member
    Options
    I am a 34yr. old mother of three.....Just had foot surgery in Dec. and am about 65lbs. over weight (killing my knees) the LARGEST I have ever been you look at my Name and you'll see what I weight....lol I need as many friends that will motivate me as possible and want to kick off this weight together. I started on the 11th keeping my food and exersiZe recorded and since then I have lost 5lbs......I have 60 more to goooooo. I am a single parent and am on a fixed budget only can grochery shop once a month...this doesn't help me in the fresh veggies/fruit catagory which I love because by the second week they are either gone or bad and I can't shop for another two weeks..... :( frustrating!! So some advice in healthy shoping on a budget would be much appreciated!!! Hope to see lots of you on my friends list :) Take care and good luck!!

Hey, I hope you'll add me as a friend -- I'm new here, too. I lost 2 lbs this past week -- now 93 more to go. But since getting on MFP, I feel confident that I can do it. Everyone here is so encouraging and helpful to one another.

One thought about fresh fruits and veggies. I know you said you were on a fixed income and can't buy fresh as the month goes on. Maybe you could only spend part of the grocery money during the first 2 weeks and then shop again for fresh during the last 2 weeks? I am a single mom of 6, fixed income as well. I just split my money up into 4 weeks and shop weekly.

Take care and hope you do well on this journey. You're off to a great start.

Karen
  • Laurej
    Laurej Posts: 227
    Options
    oh and I totally forgot about this

free fruit.. can't get better than this!!! plus it's fun, not sure where you live, but in a lot of places the law is that any fruit that grow on or over public land is fine to pick. Many places are starting to map where these fruit trees are, and of course it's seasonal. Here we get pears, blackberries, walnuts, pecans, cherries, mulberries that grow on public land and are free for the picking. Take the kidlets and a basket and have some fun! ( double check that your state/city allows this) but most do. I've even seen public fruit maps for other countries, (not sure where you live)

also there is some etiquette to this, never take more than you can carry, never pick a tree bare, take some leave some, and utilize alternative means of getting there, ie walk, bike, bus etc. :)

http://www.fallenfruit.org/index.php/about/
  • Ddubb94
    Ddubb94 Posts: 25
    Options
    Welcome! Feel free to add me as a friend.
  • HelpWanted220
    Options
    Thats awesome!!! thank you so much for the support and info. I will be taking it all in!!! Thanks bunches!!
  • 1shauna1
    1shauna1 Posts: 993 Member
    Options
    I know they're not as good, but how about frozen fruits/veggies? They would last that long, and I believe they're better than canned....I'll add you as a friend; you can never have too many!
  • determined2lose89
    determined2lose89 Posts: 342 Member
    Options
    Feel free to add me... I'm only 22 with no kids but live with my BF and like to stick to a low food budget while eating healthy. I have tons of budget friendly meals and ideas and am a very supportive MFP friend!