I don't know how many calories to eat :/

Options
2»

Replies

• Verity1111
    Verity1111 Posts: 3,309 Member
    Options
    First off, you've lost 4 pounds (congratulations on that!) so you're obviously doing something right.

Second, everything this site gives you is an estimate only, based on averages, but the averages are probably good for the majority of people on the site. I'd go with what the site recommends (work out, eat your exercise calories, try to follow the recommendations on protein/fat/carb balance for calories.

If you find yourself craving more food every day, up your exercise so you can eat what you want. Give your body a week or two to adapt to your new eating style. Chew strong-flavored gum (cinnamon is my favorite) to help with hunger. If the hungries persist for more than a couple of weeks, and especially if you start feeling tired a lot, you may actually be not eating enough and slowing your metabolism - add enough quality foods until you aren't hungry and/or you feel more energetic. See how that works for a couple of weeks.

If you find yourself satisfied every day, energetic, never went through any sort of transition where you felt temporarily hungry, and aren't losing weight, then you should probably lower your calorie intake a bit (or up your exercise and don't eat all the calorie credits). In that case, your metabolism is fine, you just need to start a calorie deficit and the site has overestimated your BMR.

This is a long-term thing you are undertaking - you're changing the way you'll eat for the rest of your life. Be patient if you and your body don't reach an understanding immediately. :)
    Thanks! For the most part I can starve myself okay LOL Jk but seriously I work well with hunger pains, except I feel bad because my husband refuses to eat without me sometimes!
  • Verity1111
    Options
    Thats a new one..lol The only issue is I don't agree with a lot of the "ideal" weight things because our body frames are all so different. I could use my goal weight I guess and it would be 1300 so thats similar to what one site said.

Tell me about it. I'm 6' 3" and the BMI index for my height has a "healthy low" weight of 148. I currently weigh 221 and I'm working my way down to 200 (which is the transition for my height from "overweight" to "high normal"), but when I was at 210 I was cycling 30 miles a day for my work commute and felt incredible, and was shopping for size 34 pants and having a struggle finding ones long enough. And that was when BMI was calling me fat.

Weight is a very poor measure of health. It's just a very easy one to measure.
    148 is RIDICULOUS for most people at 6'3"! I was THIN at 145 and I am only 5'4"! BMI = BS to me.
  • Verity1111
    Options
    Thanks Ill look at that a bit closer when I have more time! :] I appreciate it a lot!
  • Verity1111
    Options
    I have been using the MFP calculation. I also have a Fitbit and it tell me very close to the same calories. Go with what MFP is telling you and if you nned to adjust it you can. :happy:
    Sounds like a plan!