Quick yummy recipes???

Options
HealthyKt78
HealthyKt78 Posts: 439
As a college student short on time and cash (though that is a problem most people have these days) I'm at a loss of any creative things to do with cheap food. Anyone have any recipes that are pretty easy that they would like to share?

Replies

• landry1
    landry1 Posts: 58 Member
    Options
    lentils are great and cheap. i bring 4 cups of veggie or chicken broth to a boil add 1 cup of lentils and one cup of frozen mixed veggies and simmer for 40 minutes. serve 1 cup over 1/2 cup of brown rice and it's great or you can have it just like a soup.

lots of fiber, very filling and cheap and you can get quite a few meals out of it.:tongue:
  • Euphonasia
    Euphonasia Posts: 136
    Options
    College sucks.

Go to www.slim-fast.com and they have some pretty good recipes, as well as www.eatingwell.com, www.recipezaar.com, and www.sparkpeople.com
  • ChristyJade
    ChristyJade Posts: 186 Member
    Options
    something i made up while at uni was my peperoni dish...

3 discs of lower fat peperoni, (roughley cut up)
    1 tin of chopped tomatoes
    mushrooms
    peppers
    small amount of pasta

I just put the peperoni in a dry pan, the natural fat in it will melt, once it has, add the mushrooms and peppers. once they are cooked, add the tinned tomatoes and season as you wish....It really quick and tasty! I usually just have a small amount of pasta with it, pretty filling and very cheap! if i buy a pack of peperoni it will last for about 3-4 dishes worth :)

xx
  • courtney_love2001
    courtney_love2001 Posts: 1,468 Member
    Options
    Pasta is always fast. I am also a college student, though I have been making more time for cooking lately. But this is really fast...I just take some whole wheat pasta, roasted chicken breast, some veggies, olive oil, and herbs. Once you start cooking you realize it really doesn't take that long to make it. I throw a couple of chicken breasts in the oven while I'm studying and then store the leftovers for a quick grab. Sandwiches and salads are always fast too, and generally cheap!!

And be careful with those Lean Cuisines (love them!) but they have a ton of sodium in them.
  • creativefrugalmom
    creativefrugalmom Posts: 267 Member
    Options
    2 cups of rice with a can of reduced fat cream of chicken soup. If you want it thinner, add a little milk or chicken broth. Great flavor and this will make plenty and the leftovers freeze well if you are going to eat again within a few weeks. You can also add some peas or brocolli on the side for an extra filler.

210557.png
    Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Calorie Counter
  • TNYorker
    TNYorker Posts: 164
    Options
    When I'm looking for a quick snack towards the end of the day that's filling and will also take care of those last remaining calories - I get a Quaker chocolate crunch rice cake (60 cals), spread a tablespoon of chunky peanut butter, and top it off with fresh fruit (:heart: strawberries). It's quick, easy, filling, and not pricey at all. This is also a great dessert fix for me, chocolate, pb, and strawberries - yum! :love:
  • kroppo
    kroppo Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Spagetti squash, they aren't very expensive, low in calories and takes on the flavor of anything you add it to. Hardest part is cutting it in half, roast in the oven halfs down in water for about 30 mins. I use this in place of noodles and make meatballs with tomato sauce. I have also mixed it with grilled veggies and it is just filling. I have a friend to changes it up with olives, tomatos and feta or alfredo sauce. Like I said it takes on whatever flavors you add to it. Cuts down on carbs and fat and fills you up too.