Anyone have a Hybrid Bike?

2»

Replies

• mostaverage
    mostaverage Posts: 202 Member
    What is a cyclocross bike?

A Cyclo cross bike is halfway between a road racer (drop handlebars) and a mountainbike - it's got road gearing, higher ground clearance for mud, slightly wider nobblier tyres and sometimes disc brakes instead of the usual cantilever or caliper. They mostly get raced in the winter cross country before the road season starts up.
  • kyle4jem
    kyle4jem Posts: 1,400 Member
    I bought an Ammaco High-Ride hybrid bike last summer which kick-started my exercise and weight loss.

I'm not a cycle expert, but it's a nice bike. I had to get a special frame ordered as I'm a bit short in the leg and the standard frame available was just too big for me. I had a gel saddle fitted as extra as I was 250lbs (almost 18 st) at the time and it coped with my weight.
  • love2cycle
    love2cycle Posts: 448 Member
    I have a hybrid bike, and have had it for 18 years! It is just as fine after all this time, though the front fork needed to be replaced due to a stupid maneuver. It is a great bike, and at this point, I don't look to change.
  • I GOT ONE TWO WEEKS AGO LOVE IT LOL
  • DeniseChilver
    DeniseChilver Posts: 185 Member
    I love my Chris Boardman Hybrid :-)
  • scorpio516
    scorpio516 Posts: 955 Member
    What road bike are you looking at? General consensus is that shimano 105 is the lowest set you want.

what does that mean? lol

Shimano 105 is the mechanical equipment. It's entry level, but just above the cheap stuff.
    SRAM is also quite popular/good, but I don't know the equivalent model.

FWIW, I -can- ride my hybrid as fast as my road bike. I can keep a 20mph pace on it. I bet I could go twice as far on the road bike for the same effort.

OTOH, hybrids burn more calories. ;)

You might also consider a cyclocross bike.

I've been riding a Sora equipped bike for 4 years. It works just fine, but the 2 steps up to 105 is quite nice.

I was going to suggest a cross bike too. Much better off road than a hybrid. Much better on road too. Basically a road bike with easier gearing and clearance for large tires. You've got many more options in the UK and Europe for cross bikes though
  • obeserat
    obeserat Posts: 218 Member
    I have a hybrid with front suspension , I have used it on a fair number of terrains but I find it best suited to road. I did ride over a trail that was mostly broken bricks wasn't too bad but would have been easier on a mountain bike. I found it heavy going on gravel too , to be fair I was riding on a long gravel path with a slight up hill
  • ooOOooGravy
    ooOOooGravy Posts: 476 Member
    thanks for the infor all, I know my budget is already, and i should get my vouchers in next few days apperently so im going to have a good read up on each on my options.