Heart Rate while running?

Options
I really pay attention to my HRM while I am running. At a slow pace I usually stay in the 150s. I have been pushing myself and running harder. Tonight during my 5K I got up into the low 170s. I get nervous just looking at that number and it psyches me out! Just curious what others HR range is and where I should be? Thanks!

Replies

• naugustyniak
    naugustyniak Posts: 836 Member
    Options
    The highest mine running has been is 172 and I didn't feel like I was gonna die or anything:laugh: but I was jogging not running. It did get a little higher (not much 180) when I was riding my bike uphill into the wind (what was I thinking):noway: I am still pretty out of shape. I don't usually look at my HR when I am working out but when I get done and check my numbers.
  • hiddensecant
    hiddensecant Posts: 2,446 Member
    Options
  • dunhammj
    dunhammj Posts: 16
    Options
    During a rigorous work out, I am usually in the 170s. Sometimes I even get in the low 180s. If I see 150 I am (personally) not challenging myself and won't break much of a sweat. I think this is different for different people.
  • RunRideRay
    RunRideRay Posts: 1,536 Member
    Options
    Great job on your race today! It's a wonderful feeling having closure to a goal and accomplishment.

170 is high but nothing to panic about. It will rev up and down and eventually you will learn how to stabilize. IF you plan to train and race with an HRM the best thing to do is try to find where your lactate threshold is and stay close to this when you race. It's the point when your body goes anaerobic and your muscles don't get a constanst supply of oxygen. Hence, you basically "bonk".

3 miles no big deal if you routinely get into this lactic threshold, but longer gigs and you will really suffer.

As a reference point, I was:
    140bpm - steady jog (Run and chat)
    150-160bpm race pace (I was short of breath, but could crank this a long time)
    160+ I was in lactate threshold (I would become winded within about 2-3 minutes)

My training partner with exactly the same race times/fitness was roughly 20bpm higher across the board... so it will vary. I was very low, and he was high. You'll have your window too, but expect 170 you may be crossing the lactate threshold but 160-170 is likely a good race HRM.

Hope it helps...
    Raymond
  • singfree
    singfree Posts: 1,591 Member
    Options
    In 2 weeks I'll be 55 years old. On some hikes (Appalachian Tr. mountains) and biking, I can easily get in the 170s for a few minutes at a time. I am pretty fit for my age and I don't have much fat weight to lose. At your age, you should be able to handle 180+. As you become more fit you will notice your HR dropping somewhat during your runs.

BTW- I'm from Schuylkill Co., PA
  • 1Corinthians13
    1Corinthians13 Posts: 5,296 Member
    Options
    I generally stay in the 170's when I run, but sometimes, I hit the 190's if I'm doing intervals. I was concerned at first, but the doctor says I'm fine and what really matters is how quickly your HR goes back to normal after you stop exercising, and mine drops very quickly.
  • msarro
    msarro Posts: 2,748 Member
    Options
    I'm usually in the 160's-low 170's when I'm jogging. If I up my pace to real running, it'll usually go up to the high 180's... 187 is usually as high as it will go unless i'm doing something really rough like sprints.

Like 1Corinthians13, as soon as I stop it tends to drop like a rock, so I'm not worried. It didn't use to do that though :laugh:
  • 1Corinthians13
    1Corinthians13 Posts: 5,296 Member
    Options
    That's great msarro!! Show great progress...your :heart: is nice happy and healthy. :smile:
  • SHBoss1673
    SHBoss1673 Posts: 7,161 Member
    Options
    the other thing to remember too is that the numbers you are given, aren't exact. They are estimates. If you really want to know what your exact maximal heart rate is, you need to get tested. Your body may run as much as 10% higher then the average and still be perfectly healthy.
  • chrissyh
    chrissyh Posts: 8,235 Member
    Options
    I've been wondering the same thing....I've been doing Couch to 5k and in my longer jogs (over 2m) My Average heart rate is about 166 with a high of 178...when I see it get that high, I slow down but I do worry that staying that high for too long isn't good...

Mine takes a little while to drop - I stop running, do a cool down lap and stretch and its getting lower thru all of that so I guess it's dropping pretty quickly.
  • chrissyh
    Options
    Gustergirl- WAY TO GO ON YOUR FIRST 5K - HIGH FIVE!!
  • singfree
    singfree Posts: 1,591 Member
    Options
    Chrissyh- your latest pix looks great!! Keep up the good work!
  • chrissyh
    Options
    Chrissyh- your latest pix looks great!! Keep up the good work!

Thanks! Can't wait to post a 75 pound progress pic....so close...