5 week plateau -- have I messed up my metabolism?

Options
Hi everyone,

I'm so frustrated-- I've been stuck within the same couple of pounds for about 5 weeks now.

I am down about 23 total (most lost before joining MFP.) I'm 5'7", hovering around 187-188 (started at 209.) Eating about 1480 calories/day and exercising 3-4 times a week.

What can I do to jumpstart my metabolism? My fear is that from years and years and years of yo-yo dieting, my metabolism is shot. I don't know if I should up my calories, decrease them, or change something else. Any advice would be appreciated. Thanks!

Replies

• ntw25
    ntw25 Posts: 149 Member
    Options
    Looking forward to the answers on this one. Can't believe how hard I worked this week for a pound and a half on the scale. Very frustrated.
  • MaraDiaz
    MaraDiaz Posts: 4,604 Member
    Options
    If you're one of the ones lucky enough to have health insurance, you could get your metabolism checked.
  • Yanicka1
    Yanicka1 Posts: 4,564 Member
    Options
    1480 calories with or without your exercise calories?

what kind of exercise do you do?

You should open your diary.
  • chevy88grl
    chevy88grl Posts: 3,937 Member
    Options
    Do you know your BMR? How about TDEE? Both of those numbers are important in figuring out if your caloric intake is adequate or not. How much weight do you have to lose? And what is your weekly weight loss goal set at? Do you eat back at least some of the exercise calories you burn?

The biggest thing we see on the forums are people who don't eat enough. Your body won't be comfortable losing weight if you aren't giving it enough fuel (food) to function properly on. I know that for years it has been drilled into our heads to eat less, eat less, eat less.. but creating too large of a deficit is actually counterproductive to weight loss success.
  • melsinct
    melsinct Posts: 3,512 Member
    Options
    Hi, I am also 5'7" and about your age (FINE! I am 2 years older :tongue: ). I started MFP at 175 lbs. and am now at my goal weight of 145. I plateaued early because I was eating too little (1200) then upped it to set MFP at a 0.5 lb/week loss which gave me about 1400 calories. I ate that (plus I ate exercise calories) until the end of my weight loss. I had a second plateau in there that lasted 4 months. I was already eating at a small deficit (the 0.5 lb/week) plus eating my exercise calories so I couldn't eat any more and still lose. I got desperate and tried all of the tricks I read about, zig zagging calories, changing up exercise routines, etc. and nothing worked. For the month of December I ate at maintenance, ate exercise calories, and still no change up or down. In January I went back to the 0.5 lb./week loss and ate exercise calories and by the end of the month the plateau broke and I was at my goal weight.

From what I have experienced, it seems sometimes plateaus happen for obvious reasons, e.g. you aren't eating enough. Other times, like with mine, I think you just have to be very patient and wait it out. I would make sure you are counting calories accurately (weighing food, not by volume or eyeballing). Also, mess around with your exercise calories. Try eating them back, or if you are already eating them back, try only eating some of them. Unfortunately we all have to mess around with our numbers to see what our bodies respond best to. This is why I don't like to say "eat exercise calories" or "don't eat exercise calories" as a blanket rule.

One last thing...for every change you make, give your body two weeks to adjust to see if whatever you did works. Good luck, I know how frustrating this is!
  • pstaceyca
    pstaceyca Posts: 306 Member
    Options
    Do you eat back your exercise calories...if not you may want to try that. :smile:
  • fimary
    fimary Posts: 286 Member
    Options
    bump, i seem to lose 10lbs plateau for a few weeks, lose 10lbs and so on....
  • angieleighbyrd
    angieleighbyrd Posts: 989 Member
    Options
    You could try changing up your exorcise. Not necessarily adding more days, but doing a different routine every once in a while. You're body is said to get used to a routine after a while and it's good to change it up.
  • lambeas
    lambeas Posts: 229 Member
    Options
    Please don't be too frustrated because you are NOT gaining.. you are maintaining....so bravo to you!

I am also 5'7 and hover between 138-141 depending on the day. I don't think you have messed up your metabolism, rather I think you may need to shake things up. Try a different source of exercise. Up your strength training and resistance. Switch up the types of foods you are eating. Swap spinach for arugula or cabbage etc.. etc..Also, really really watch processed foods... even if they are "low cal" eat as clean as possible.. as that always factors in.

You are doing great... do NOT give up.!!!
  • Toddrific
    Toddrific Posts: 1,114 Member
    Options
    Take a week off eating less and eat maintenance.
  • jennifeffer
    jennifeffer Posts: 98 Member
    Options
    Bump.
  • Helloitsdan
    Helloitsdan Posts: 5,564 Member
    Options
    Weight loss and fat loss are 2 different things.
    My body fluctuated 5lbs daily.
    This is due to water, glycogen and waist.
    Throw your scale away and invest in calipers or a tape measurer.
  • eden2004
    eden2004 Posts: 34
    Options
    I do eat back my exercise calories -- not always all of them, but most.

I'm set for a 1 pound weight loss per week. My goal weight is around 150 lbs.

It's frustrating because I always have lost easily in the past. But I'm older this time around and have had two babies, so things are different now!
  • My1985Freckles
    My1985Freckles Posts: 1,039 Member
    Options
    Remember it may have more to do with WHAT you are eating than it does how many calories you are eating. I was on a 5 month long plateau that I was only able to end when I discovered that I am sugar sensitive. If I don't keep my sugar around the RDA of 24-30g's for a woman (on average), I won't lose weight. I watch my sugar and I do lose weight.... So, All calories are NOT created equal.
  • amculver1
    amculver1 Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    bump
  • chevy88grl
    chevy88grl Posts: 3,937 Member
    Options
    I started at 177-180lbs. I dropped the first 10 or so relatively easily and quite quickly. Then.. well, then weight loss came to a complete standstill for me. I couldn't figure out what I was doing wrong, I was working out 6-7 days a week (for 1 hour) and was eating healthy foods.

I was ready to throw in the towel, but decided to do some research first. After reading a ton of articles, blogs, etc I realized that I may not be eating enough. I upped my calories to 1800 - nothing. Didn't lose a single pound. Upped again to 1900 and I lost .5lb. I was getting more and more depressed. Decided to try upping it again to 2000. I lost 17lbs in 5 weeks by simply eating more. I realized that I was severely restricting my calories and my body wasn't happy about it. As soon as I started eating more, the weight fell off.

So, I would do some research and find out your BMR and TDEE - and go from there. You may find with as active as you are, the 1400 calories or so that MFP gives you is too low. MFP sets me WAY too low for everything - including maintenance. So, I have manually adjusted things.
  • AlsDonkBoxSquat
    AlsDonkBoxSquat Posts: 6,128 Member
    Options
    Hi everyone,

I'm so frustrated-- I've been stuck within the same couple of pounds for about 5 weeks now.

I am down about 23 total (most lost before joining MFP.) I'm 5'7", hovering around 187-188 (started at 209.) Eating about 1480 calories/day and exercising 3-4 times a week.

What can I do to jumpstart my metabolism? My fear is that from years and years and years of yo-yo dieting, my metabolism is shot. I don't know if I should up my calories, decrease them, or change something else. Any advice would be appreciated. Thanks!

is that 1480 net or gross? Are you strength training? do you have a heart rate monitor or a bodybugg?
  • leezera
    leezera Posts: 1
    Options
    Agree it may be the WHAT you are eating. Try some of these foods.
    http://www.shape.com/weight-loss/food-weight-loss/top-50-winter-foods-weight-loss?page=1

I switched to Greek Yogurt, incorporated more citrus foods, and have lost more after I reached a plateau as well. Also make sure you are switching up your exercise routine. Your body gets accustomed and needs a change. I changed from Precor to just walking and stairclimbing to jumpstart again.
  • CassieReannan
    CassieReannan Posts: 1,479 Member
    Options
    What is your TDEE set on on here? If you are exercising 4 -5 times a week you might be moderately active which means you need to eat more cals. :)
    Other than that.. Try to eat more and see how you go. Scales arent always the answer, try the tape measure for a few weeks and see if you get a difference!
  • Fit_Forever25
    Fit_Forever25 Posts: 313 Member
    Options
    I was stuck on my weight for about 6 weeks .. I tried eating more calories (was earlier 1200 now I am on 1410)
    and Drank loads and loads of water .. increased my fluid intake and also Green tea and changed the workout routine and tweaked my diet as well (not eating regular stuff every week..
    and Today I have seen a drop of 2.5 lbs .. after 6-7 weeks!!!
    so eventually it will happen.. keep up the good healthy routine and increase ur fluid intake and water and try green tea
    Good luck!
    Don't lose hopes Body needs a break .. so it will take its own time and will start getting reduced again.. just fool your body with some new changes.
    Also variable calorie intake like Mon Tues try 1200 Wed try 1400 Thusrday 1200 0r 1300 and so on and so forth .. Be under your weekly goal but try to change calorie intake every day...
    Hope it makes sense