Heart Rate Monitor/Calorie Counter?

Options
Hey Everyone,

I'm looking into getting a HRM/Calorie Counter, but would like some advice on a good one (that's inexpensive). I want something that can calculate my actual calorie count as I'm exercising (since I know that MFP is a little off). What do you think?

Replies

• thegoya
    thegoya Posts: 100 Member
    Options
    I'm curious too. And, if a strapless HRM is only a small percentage off over one with a strap, I'd prefer the strapless. Is there a monitor that continually reads the BPM?
  • tenunderfour
    tenunderfour Posts: 429 Member
    Options
    There are tons of threads on HRM. It seems like Polar is the brand people like the most around here. The ones that have the chest strap are more accurate than the others. I got a Polar FT7 for around $68 on Amazon.

Do a search for Polar or HRM in the search box... and you will find everything you want to know.
  • dad106
    dad106 Posts: 4,868 Member
    Options
    I'm curious too. And, if a strapless HRM is only a small percentage off over one with a strap, I'd prefer the strapless. Is there a monitor that continually reads the BPM?

A strapless on is not just a small percentage off of one with a strap.. it's a large percentage off. Think like sometimes only getting a 90 calorie reading with a strapless one VS a 300 calorie reading with one that has a strap. Ones that have a strap continually read BPM VS strapless that only get get the heart rate when you touch it.

To OP:
    Polar is best.. FT4, FT7, FT40 or FT60.

If you want inexpensive, then FT4 or FT7 is your best bet on Amazon.
  • allisonrozsa
    allisonrozsa Posts: 178 Member
    Options
    What about the ones that are in 'watch' form? Isn't that considered a "strap" instead of using a chest strap thing (that's just more cumbersome than I want).
  • dad106
    dad106 Posts: 4,868 Member
    Options
    What about the ones that are in 'watch' form? Isn't that considered a "strap" instead of using a chest strap thing (that's just more cumbersome than I want).

I repeat.. Watch only ones are not accurate.

You want accuracy then you need a chest strap.. if you don't want a chest strap, then don't buy an HRM.. that simple.
  • tenunderfour
    tenunderfour Posts: 429 Member
    Options
    the chest strap is what actually monitors your heart beat. It "talks to" the watch. You need to wear both. If you get a HRM without the chest strap your accuracy will be wayyyyy off.
  • susannahcooks
    susannahcooks Posts: 294 Member
    Options
    I have a polar with a chest strap and watch - the chest strap just goes around just under your chest, up under your bra - it's not at all cumbersome or uncomfortable - and the one I bought even fit me at my largest around 360 lbs. And if you work out on a treadmill/elliptical/bike that has the handles to read your heart rate from your hands, it will read it off the chest strap so you can get a constant reading hands-free. Of course the one I have is a bottom tier model - it only calculates HR; it doesn't calculate calories. Have been thinking of upgrading. I wish there was one that did HR, Calories, plus the sleep study that fitbit allows. Let me know which model you settle on!
  • thegoya
    thegoya Posts: 100 Member
    Options
    A chest strap is is...thanks for the input :)

That being said...
    what about a HRM with chest strap
    vs
    the FitBit?
  • susannahcooks
    susannahcooks Posts: 294 Member
    Options
    A chest strap is is...thanks for the input :)

That being said...
    what about a HRM with chest strap
    vs
    the FitBit?

They do different things. The fitbit tracks calories burned based on steps/movement - and is less accurate than a HRM - which tracks calories based on your actual heart rate. The fitbit is intended to be worn all day; the HRM is mostly during workouts (although no reason why you couldn't wear it all day). The fitbit does have that sleep study doo-dah thing that tells you how well you slept, and that's cool :)
  • Lmdaniels
    Lmdaniels Posts: 91 Member
    Options
    This was just the discussion I was looking for! HRM with chest strap it is.
  • acransom
    Options
    Thank you for the information
  • jaz050465
    jaz050465 Posts: 3,508 Member
    Options
    There is also the bodymediafit which tracks all day. Not cheap though.
  • aab9493
    Options
    Just the discussion I was looking for for today! thanks for all the valuable information!
  • eburrell
    eburrell Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Thanks! This is great information.
  • julisnodgrass
    Options
    Alright so.....I have a fitbit and I had an HRM with a watch and strap but I wanted a bluetooth HRM and an app that would record my heart rate and calories burned. I got the bluetooth HRM but the apps don't give you calories burned information. Does MFP have the ability to do that within the app?
  • kar328
    kar328 Posts: 4,157 Member
    Options
    I didn't want a HRM with a chest strap but after reading numerous threads here on the subject went with the Polar FT4. It's not expensive and the chest strap is extremely comfortable. It fits right under the girls and I find I sometimes forget to take it off after I'm done.
  • jasmineconley
    jasmineconley Posts: 438 Member
    Options
    I had two different strapless HRM's and they were not very accurate so I literally gave them away. I am however in LOVE with my Polar FT40. It has a chest strap but it's so easy to maintain and use. LOVE LOVE LOVE IT!
  • staceyadamz
    staceyadamz Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    sooooo glad i found this thread today. I'm new to walking/working out so i'm also willing to read as much as possible on a product for fear of purchasing the wrong thing.

Apparently, Polar is the best brand. But some people are saying the FT4 and others the FT40. I originally thought this was a typo but upon further research, those are two different watches. So....which one is better? Or is it just a matter of preference?

I'm looking for something that will count my calories and monitor my heart rate. I understand a chest strap is the best option, i just want to make sure i'm picking the right watch.
  • LehsyaR
    LehsyaR Posts: 3
    Options
    I was searching for a watch-like device myself to monitor my heart rate and count calories, without having some annoying band or strap across my chest; isn't a bra enough?! lol! Here's what I found (in no particular order):

The "Basis" health and hear trate monitor for wellness and fitness http://www.mybasis.com, "[The] Basis band contains the most advanced sensors on the market, continuously capturing heart rate patterns, motion, perspiration and skin temperature throughout the day and night." All this is withOUT the need of a chest-strap, which I would prefer NOT to wear. At $199 it may not fit the "inexpensive" criteria that you asked for, but given all it does, I think it is worth it... WHEN you are able to purchase it, seems they are out of stock, for now.

A similar device is the MIO Alpha http://www.alphaheartrate.com, which also offers strapless (no chest strap needed), continuous monitoring of your heart rate, which you can link to one of the many compatible apps to review detailed info of your activity. Also $199 and currently in stock.

There is also a similar device that is soon to be released, Amiigo http://amiigo.co, but it does not have a digital read out on the face, it is simply a band.
  • jaz050465
    jaz050465 Posts: 3,508 Member
    Options
    I've read about people sending the Basis back as HR monitoring isn't continuos. You will need to check that out though.