Turkey Meatloaf Help

Options
2»

Replies

• tammyopolin
    tammyopolin Posts: 98 Member
    Options
    Line your baking dish with a few slices of bread. They'll soak up any grease/moisture while the meatloaf is cooking, and you just throw them away when you take your meatloaf out.
  • NNAhuja
    NNAhuja Posts: 669 Member
    Options
    So you are trying to drain the fat right? If so, I picked up this product from Walgreens but you can pretty much get it anywhere.
    http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B005CVFEBM
    It drains all the fat, juices, drippings, etc from my meatloafs without making it super dry.
  • MrsLong1980
    MrsLong1980 Posts: 181 Member
    Options
    It's not fat, well there's a tiny amount of fat, it's just the cooking juices - if you leave the meatloaf in the tin to rest (10 minutes covered with kitchen foil or a tea towel) the loaf will soak up the juices and you will be left with a delivious, moist meat loaf - perfect accompanied with salad or assorted cooked veggies and leftovers for delicious sandwiches! :D
  • 123Linz
    123Linz Posts: 80
    Options
    Thanks all! I think I will look into a small rack for the bottom of the pan. Here is the recipe that I was using..

Turkey - Ground Turkey Lean 93/7 , 16 oz.
    Eggs - Whole, raw, 1 large
    Lipton - Recipe Secrets - Onion Soup, Mix, Dry, 0.5 container
    Sargento 80 Cal - Low Fat Shredded Cheddar Cheese, 1/8 cup
    Ketchup, 4 tbsp

Basically mix it all together and toss it in a loaf pan. Cover with marinara sauce the last few minutes of baking and serve.

Allabtim - Your MIL is very creative. Cool trick.
  • 123Linz
    123Linz Posts: 80
    Options
    Let me start by saying, I am not a cook. I don't even play one on T.V. , but I am trying. I tried following a Biggest Loser recipe for low carb meatloaf made with Jennie-O ground turkey (93/7), but after it cooked the pan was swimming with watery fat. So here's the question...can the turkey be browned, even a bit, in a pan to drain off some fat before adding other ingredients and turning it into a loaf? Or, can I keep pulling it out of the oven to drain it off while it's baking?

Told ya, I know ZERO about cooking :)

Are you sure it isn't some water coming from the marinara at the bottom, you are already using very lean lean I don't see how it would leave fat in the bottom
  • inkslady
    inkslady Posts: 5
    Options
    Mine usually has liquid in it.. but I drain it when it's done cooking... and I've never found it dry or bland.. even the next day..
  • wftiger
    wftiger Posts: 1,283 Member
    Options
    You can get a meatloaf pan that will drain all that out. Or in a pinch I have lined the bottom of the pan with a thick bread. That soaks up the fat then I just remove that part and eat the meatloaf. I usually do that when I'm making it in the crockpot as the pan won't fit in that. If it is a dense bread it works better to soak up the fat without falling apart.
  • pat6250
    pat6250 Posts: 90
    Options
    You are using a lean ground turkey. Let it rest for ten minutes before you cut it, and it will re-absorb the juices. Then cut and serve it. Also. I would not use the soup mix, as it is LOADED with salt. I would season it with a teaspoon of seasoned salt. If you use a fatty ground turkey, then you could pour the cooked out fat off before you serve it, but don't pour it down the drain, or it will clog it up as soon as cold water goes down the drain (that will turn the fat hard) :tongue:
  • rachelblank427
    rachelblank427 Posts: 180 Member
    Options
    You can get a rack to put over your pan or what ever dish your cooking it in so the meatloaf doesn't sit in the drippings. That's what I do. :)