Should I count regular activities as exercise?

Options
Hi, I have a question, hope you can help.

I walk to work every day, then back home at lunch, then back to work, and finally, back to my home when my work day ends. Each walk (from home to work, and viceversa) I do in about 15 minutes, walking at a brisk pace. So that sums 60 minutes a day walking...

That I have been doing for over 3 years now, so Im used to it, although lately I've been breaking a sweat doing that (but that's mainly cause it hot in here!!!, i think).

I've been working out 4 o 5 days per week, but when logging exercise I dont enter those walks, mainly because once I heard that after a while of doing the same activity the body adapts to it so it doesn't represent any challenge nor affects weight loss...

I've been in a plateau for 3 weeks now, so I'm trying to figure that out.
(i have 30 pound to lose)

Any ideas?

Replies

• TheJackyl
    TheJackyl Posts: 88
    Options
    When you started MFP you set your daily activity level, if you considered those walks when you set that activity level then I wouldn't count it.
  • lynniejones
    lynniejones Posts: 1,291 Member
    Options
    When you started MFP you set your daily activity level, if you considered those walks when you set that activity level then I wouldn't count it.

If it is something you do every day, and have done every day for a while..don't count it. It's normal activity for your body and like the poster above me said, should count in your daily activity level. Now, should you suddenly decide to SPRINT the distance, maybe then count it. Hehehe.
  • ildi007
    ildi007 Posts: 107
    Options
    I won't, if you are doing them for 3 years now. I would try to find a very different excersise to "wake up" my muscles. I'm a walker too; I just got a WII Active and boy, the inches are coming off and my body is in shock to what's happening! I see deffinition in my arms and abs and my pants fit again.
    Good luck and have fun finding what's working:flowerforyou: for you!
  • karlira
    karlira Posts: 100
    Options

No, I actually selected the sedentary level (I spend the rest of the day sitting in front of a computer)

I'll try and change it, see how my calorie intake is modified :glasses: