High protein meal/snack options

dlyeates
dlyeates Posts: 875 Member
Ok everyone.....I'm really trying to get more protein in my diet. My goal at the moment is about 109/day. I have 20 more to reach this for the day and it looks like that will be for my evening snack. I have 200 calories to play with. Give me suggestions please!!! (I'm over on fat by a little but I'm not tracking that as much and I'm already over on fiber which is really good).

Since I'm going to be starting with a trainer this week and starting a lifting program I know that protein is really important. Suggestions for high protein meals are also welcome. I'm not doing low fat/low carb/low anything really. Just trying to keep my protein and my fibers high!!!

Thanks for helping me out!!

Replies

• melaniecheeks
    melaniecheeks Posts: 6,349 Member
    I'd get a couple of rice cakes, pile some cottage cheese onto them and add a wafer thin slice of ham, or a few shrimp/ prawns.
  • jesss5885
    jesss5885 Posts: 187 Member
    sliced apple with peanut butter (or better than peanut butter)

almonds
  • autumnk921
    autumnk921 Posts: 1,374 Member
    Try this site....This page & many others on the site have tons of high protein foods/snacks, etc.....HTH!! :)

http://www.livestrong.com/article/243833-a-list-of-low-calorie-high-protein-foods/
  • lorraine311
    lorraine311 Posts: 127 Member
    Protein shakes!
  • monty619
    monty619 Posts: 1,308 Member
    chicken breast, cottage cheese, or a can of tuna will fit perfectly with ur desired goal for the day
  • schlange11b
    schlange11b Posts: 105 Member
    Tuna or beef jerky. :)
  • ElPumaMex
    ElPumaMex Posts: 367 Member
    A high protein snack that tastes good, has no preservatives or artificial ingredients:
    http://www.clifbar.com/food/products_builders/
  • Ok everyone.....I'm really trying to get more protein in my diet. My goal at the moment is about 109/day. I have 20 more to reach this for the day and it looks like that will be for my evening snack. I have 200 calories to play with. Give me suggestions please!!! (I'm over on fat by a little but I'm not tracking that as much and I'm already over on fiber which is really good).

Since I'm going to be starting with a trainer this week and starting a lifting program I know that protein is really important. Suggestions for high protein meals are also welcome. I'm not doing low fat/low carb/low anything really. Just trying to keep my protein and my fibers high!!!

Hello! a few ideas for you:

* 2 oatcakes/wholemeal rice cakes with bit of no added sugar peanut butter OR laughing cow light cheese OR ham/Low fat cheese

* 0% fat greek yog - just had this! with bit of no added sugar jam and some blueberries (and bit of peanut butter if you fancy)

* edameme beans - high protein, low carb/cals

* protein bar/shake

* 2 rice cakes with "choc" spread - made with half scoop protein powder & teaspoon of peanut butter mixed together with a bit of water..yummm

* apple/banana with peanut butter

hope that helps! xxx
  • sincereme
    sincereme Posts: 276
    I like protein shakes. THey are filling too.
  • sincereme
    Ok everyone.....I'm really trying to get more protein in my diet. My goal at the moment is about 109/day. I have 20 more to reach this for the day and it looks like that will be for my evening snack. I have 200 calories to play with. Give me suggestions please!!! (I'm over on fat by a little but I'm not tracking that as much and I'm already over on fiber which is really good).

* 2 oatcakes/wholemeal rice cakes with bit of no added sugar peanut butter OR laughing cow light cheese OR ham/Low fat cheese

* 0% fat greek yog - just had this! with bit of no added sugar jam and some blueberries (and bit of peanut butter if you fancy)

* protein bar/shake

* 2 rice cakes with "choc" spread - made with half scoop protein powder & teaspoon of peanut butter mixed together with a bit of water..yummm

hope that helps! xxx

I never thought of using Protein Powder and PB to make a spread. Good idea. Tx. SOunds yum!
  • Ok everyone.....I'm really trying to get more protein in my diet. My goal at the moment is about 109/day. I have 20 more to reach this for the day and it looks like that will be for my evening snack. I have 200 calories to play with. Give me suggestions please!!! (I'm over on fat by a little but I'm not tracking that as much and I'm already over on fiber which is really good).

* protein bar/shake

hope that helps! xxx

I never thought of using Protein Powder and PB to make a spread. Good idea. Tx. SOunds yum!

Seriously it is lovely!!! takes a few trys to get the consistency right....too much water and it's runny and too little water and its stodgy and hard to spread. So add in a bit of water, stir, then keep adding a bit at a time until the consistency is right. it's lovely!! and high protein/good fats too! xxx
  • Bradleyjah
    Bradleyjah Posts: 48 Member
    Hey all,

I'm also looking for a similar option that is high protein/lower carb/lower to add to my snacks. I keep finding that I'm about 250 calories short of my goal. I'd prefer not to have to cook something (I'm not much of a cooker, and I already pre-cook my week's lunches), and since I already have a protein shake in the morning and a protein bar as a late afternoon snack, I don't want to add too much more processed food.

Any suggestions would be really helpful. Thanks!
  • CoderGal
    CoderGal Posts: 6,800 Member
    bump because I fail at protein. I ate several chicken breasts, beef, pumpkin seeds, greek yogurt, bacon, an egg and other things that had protein in it yesterday...and still don't meet Canadian guidelines for recommended protein intake :\
  • sincereme

* protein bar/shake

hope that helps! xxx

Seriously it is lovely!!! takes a few trys to get the consistency right....too much water and it's runny and too little water and its stodgy and hard to spread. So add in a bit of water, stir, then keep adding a bit at a time until the consistency is right. it's lovely!! and high protein/good fats too! xxx

Def trying this out!
  • I discovered a great way to make cottage cheese into an exciting dessert -- blend it into jello.

Take a large-size box of sugar-free Jello and dissolve it in 1 cup of boiling water.

Put 2 cups plain cottage cheese and 1 cup of water in a blender. Blend it up, then pour in the hot dissolved jello while it's still blending until it's all mixed together. Pour it into a container and put it in the fridge for a few hours to firm up.

It tastes like really creamy jello, and of course it has essentially the same nutritional profile as plain cottage cheese.