Anyone got a placenta I can EAT?

Options

Replies

• billsica
    billsica Posts: 4,741 Member
    Options
    No, I would not do it. I have heard of it, and agree mammals do eat theirs. However, some of them also eat their young when they die, so I do not think that is a good enough reason. People are created in the image of God, so that makes us different than the animals. I have heard that this helps with ppd and has other health benefits as far as that goes, and it may, I do a lot of things for health, but this isn't one of them! Is is not for me!

I disagree. Some people do eat the dead. granted not her young, but I think the same could easily apply.
    http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2011/08/08/eating-husbands-ashes-helps-grieving-wife-mourn-his-death_n_921416.html
  • tenunderfour
    tenunderfour Posts: 429 Member
    Options
    I actually have 4 placentas in my freezer. But, no you can't have them. ;-)

I planned to bury them and plant a beautiful tree or bush on top..... but I never lived anywhere that I wanted to stay long term. Soooo.... they are in my freezer. LOL
  • TrailRunner61
    TrailRunner61 Posts: 2,505 Member
    Options
    It depends on what kind of placenta you want. I have a lot of friends, family who are farmers... haha
  • AlyRoseNYC
    AlyRoseNYC Posts: 1,075 Member
    Options
    This is far more common than you think !! the hormones & nutrients in it are really good for you ! you can now have it encapsule-ated so you dont have to eat it, I have never done it but know people who have, its super common in the area i live in !

it helps with iron levels and postpartum depression especially !!

YES! It's not like chewing on raw placenta. By the time it is ready to be consumed, it looks like a vitamin.
  • mdsjmom98
    mdsjmom98 Posts: 333 Member
    Options
    How about the celebrities that do the quirky things, like chew their children's food for them, or start potty training at 2 days old. Takes all kinds to make the world go round.....
  • lizzybethclaire
    lizzybethclaire Posts: 849 Member
    Options
    I saw this on the topic post list and I just had to respond with...EW EW EW EW EW!!!!! Seriously want to be sick right now. I was going to snack, but this worked as an appetite suppressant.
  • NYCDutchess
    NYCDutchess Posts: 622 Member
    Options
    My sister in law had her placenta turned into tablets for her son. It is supposed to help with transitions etc...
    At first I was like "what?" but you know what, she researched it and it's supposed to be great.
  • Rhea30
    Rhea30 Posts: 625 Member
    Options
    No, I would not do it. I have heard of it, and agree mammals do eat theirs. However, some of them also eat their young when they die, so I do not think that is a good enough reason. People are created in the image of God, so that makes us different than the animals. I have heard that this helps with ppd and has other health benefits as far as that goes, and it may, I do a lot of things for health, but this isn't one of them! Is is not for me!

God is against placenta eating?
  • jsapninz
    jsapninz Posts: 909 Member
    Options
    FIRST OF ALL:

Mammals do it for a reason, NOT because placenta is necessarily good for them. And that reason is to ward off predators. For example, if a cow has a calf in the field, it does not want to attract predators (wolves/coyotes, etc) that might harm its young, so it ingestes the placenta, which is basically rotting tissue and blood (a predator GOLD MINE). Also take into consideration that once an animal births, it is not going to move very far from that spot as the young are not capable of much travel. So what do you have if you don't eat your placenta? A big, rotting mass that attracts flies, disease, germs etc. festering near your newborns. NOT A GOOD IDEA. So you eat it.

Just because an ANIMAL does something, doesn't mean people should do it too. :noway:
  • AlyRoseNYC
    Options
    FIRST OF ALL:

Mammals do it for a reason, NOT because placenta is necessarily good for them. And that reason is to ward off predators. For example, if a cow has a calf in the field, it does not want to attract predators (wolves/coyotes, etc) that might harm its young, so it ingestes the placenta, which is basically rotting tissue and blood (a predator GOLD MINE). Also take into consideration that once an animal births, it is not going to move very far from that spot as the young are not capable of much travel. So what do you have if you don't eat your placenta? A big, rotting mass that attracts flies, disease, germs etc. festering near your newborns. NOT A GOOD IDEA. So you eat it.

Just because an ANIMAL does something, doesn't mean people should do it too. :noway:
    I'm going to do it anyway because I want to.
  • LavaDoll
    LavaDoll Posts: 595 Member
    Options
    <-- wondering how many placenta dishes have been served up alongside something worked up from the sperm cookbook.
    =^x^=
  • Rhea30
    Rhea30 Posts: 625 Member
    Options
    FIRST OF ALL:

The thing is, it is good for them. They may not be doing it because they are aware its good for them but it is.
  • farm_mamaX9
    Options
    Just because other mammals do it, does not make it something I would ever do. We live on a farm, whenever any of our animals give birth, if we are there, we take the placenta away as soon as possible. The reason mammals eat their placentas is to keep predators from smelling the birth. Also, the placenta is a filter to keep harmful substances from the baby, would you really want to eat a filter?

BTW- That's just gross!!! No way would I ever do it!
  • stephyy4632
    stephyy4632 Posts: 947 Member
    Options
    I have never done it myself but I know many women that have. This isn`t new its been around for a very long time.
  • 1546mel
    1546mel Posts: 191
    Options
    hey, txs for making me lose my apetite,especially the recipe, ugh! :) I have heard of it, i have seen my dog do it, but i could NEVER do it.
  • HeidiMightyRawr
    HeidiMightyRawr Posts: 3,343 Member
    Options
    I've heard about this before. You can eat it how it is, or dry it out and make it into capsules (supposed to be really beneficial for post-pregnancy health) It seems a bit odd to me, but what other people choose to do doesn't really bother me.

I would be open to having it in capsule form (no harm in trying) but not any other way - that grosses me out far too much to consider. Only my own as well, not anyone elses!
  • AlyRoseNYC
    Options
    Just because other mammals do it, does not make it something I would ever do. We live on a farm, whenever any of our animals give birth, if we are there, we take the placenta away as soon as possible. The reason mammals eat their placentas is to keep predators from smelling the birth. Also, the placenta is a filter to keep harmful substances from the baby, would you really want to eat a filter?

BTW- That's just gross!!! No way would I ever do it!

Yes it does sound gross. After going through a severe PPD that lasted almost two years, I will try anything to lessen my chances of that happening again. Maybe it's an old wives tale, who knows...but like I said, I'll try anything.
  • jg627
    jg627 Posts: 1,221 Member
    Options
    I'll be able to score one in a few more months. I have a paypal account if you want to do a little black market trade. Placenta with garlic and penne sounds pretty good though, I might just keep it for myself.
  • bfbooty
    bfbooty Posts: 189 Member
    Options
    apparently woman did this in the beginning it is full of nutrients and help restore blood supply and it would have helped woman recover from child birth when there was no medical knowledge and help but I really don;t see the need for it now and think it is really gross in fact I am not even convinced we ever did eat it in the passed it is guessed we did and people are coming back to it now saying it's normal and natural and that we are the ONLY mammals that don't eat it

my answer though is no way in hell would I eat it
  • darrensurrey
    darrensurrey Posts: 3,942 Member
    Options
    My Italian friend does it all the time. Oh, wait, "placenta".