Smith Machine

Options
Anyone here use a smith machine when squatting? I get that the smith machine kind of "helps" you, meaning you are not moving as much weight as you would if you lifted from a rack. But recently I read an article saying that smith machines aren't any good, you can get hurt, etc. I would assume you can get hurt squatting from a rack too (you know, crumbling to your knees with the bar on your back). I have never tried squats with any kind of weight (aside from holding dumbbells) outside of a smith machine. Does anyone have any opinions one way or another?

Replies

• wellbert
    wellbert Posts: 3,924 Member
    Options
    Smith machines force you into an unnatural movement which can contribute to injury. You're better off squatting in a squat rack and paying close attention to form.

A squat rack usually has bars that can be positioned for you to lower the weight on if you miss a rep. These bars should be set high enough you can lean down onto them, but low enough they don't come in contact with the weight bar when you go below parallel on your squat. (Butt below knees)

BTDT.
  • bizco
    bizco Posts: 1,949 Member
    Options
    Smith machines force you into an unnatural movement which can contribute to injury. You're better off squatting in a squat rack and paying close attention to form.
    ^This. Stay far away from the Smith machine.
  • gdunn55
    gdunn55 Posts: 363
    Options
    If you have no other options, I recommend using dumbbells.
  • js370
    js370 Posts: 140
    Options
    Smith machine won't allow you to move up and down naturally, hence you end up hurting your back or knees. If you find regular squats to difficult, you should try box squats. Pretty much the same as regular squats, except you end up sitting on something when in your lowered position. A short bench will work just fine. It's a better way of getting started then the smith machine.
  • Flippiefloppies
    Options
    Just like everyone else said. Smith machines do not allow you to use proper form and can actually cause you to hurt yourself. When I squat heavy I usually use the squat rack and have the side bars up to where I normaly stop when I can squatting so if something happened and I needed to drop the weight they would catch it. I also put a bench between my legs. I mainly use this to aid me in going down as far as I am supposed to. I do not stop, rest and sit on it but I go down until my butt touches the seat and bring myself back up. Another thing is if somethign happened and I stared to fall I would sit down directly on the seat.

I do use the smith machine but only for seated military press and other upper body workouts where it does not affect my form.