Late breakfasts

Options
Is there a negative to waiting to eat "breakfast" as a snack time around 10:00 instead of trying to fit it in before going to work? I'm really not hungry first thing in the morning, and time is always tight anyway.

Replies

• roxie17
    roxie17 Posts: 71
    Options
    I was told by a nutritionist to eat within 1 hour of waking up in the morning - this jump starts your metabolism. She told me you should be hungry when you wake up in the morning, if not that is a sign your metabolism is slow and you will have a harder time losing weight. :grumble:
  • TheMaidOfAstolat
    TheMaidOfAstolat Posts: 3,222 Member
    Options
    I eat about 1/2 hour after I get to work. I'm just now finishing my yogurt. I could never eat right after I wake up and I'm not going to change that now...as long as I eat before 9 I consider it to be breakfast.
  • Wishful
    Wishful Posts: 618 Member
    Options
    Well, I could eat something around 9:00 a.m. if that's better than 10:00!
  • TheMaidOfAstolat
    TheMaidOfAstolat Posts: 3,222 Member
    Options
    You do need to jumpstart your metabolism...and the earlier the better, I'm up at 7, at work by 8 and eating something by 9. I know it's a two hour window but I'm one of those I could hold out until noon to eat anything. But I know better and I try my best even if it's only a handful of nuts some days or a smoothie. If possible eat something in the car...nuts or grapes. Drink a smoothie that you made the night before...include protein powder if possible. I always have a snack that contains protein around 10:30...so I'll last until lunch without starving. Hope this helps.
  • SillySkittles
    SillySkittles Posts: 202 Member
    Options
    I don't eat breakfast before I go to work. I like to squeeze in more workout time. But what I DO do is eat breakfast at work. We're lucky enough to have a microwave in the break room, so all I did was I bought a microwave egg cooker and every morning I have a scrambled egg cooked with my egg cooker in the microwave, and two pieces of maple leaf ready crisp bacon (cooked in the microwave as well). It takes only a few minutes to cook both of them and I'll just go and eat that at my desk with a can of V8 vegetable shot. I usually eat this around 8:30 and I'm good until break time which is at 8:45.

If you are able to, maybe you can quickly prepare and eat breakfast AT work?

Hope that helps!!!
  • Sebidian
    Sebidian Posts: 199 Member
    Options
    I believe it is what works best for you.

That being said, I was never a breakfast eater, and am doing much better now that I am. If you are not hungry when you get up, it may be that you are eating too much or too late in the evening. From everything I have read, our bodies need more energy in the earlier part of the day, and less in the evening. "Saving" calories until later hampers your metabolism.
  • chgudnitz
    chgudnitz Posts: 4,079
    Options
    I eat a small (banana and yogurt) breakfast about 2.5 hours after I wake up, a medium sized lunch (about 300 - 400 calories) and 2 snacks, one mid moring and one mid afternoon. I "save" my calories until later in the day, since that is when I am hungry.

Everyones body is different and requires fuel at different times. The main point is not to skip a meal. There will be differing opinions on when to eat and what it does. I believe the "best" or ideal way to do it is to eat first thing, but it will not destroy you if you wait.

As far as it hampering your metabolism, this is how I eat and my metabolism is just on fire right now. Do what works for you, it is your lifestyle that you need to be able to live with for the rest of your life.

Good luck.
  • Wishful
    Options
    Thanks for the encouragement to find a time for breakfast. Maid, I can also hold out until lunch without a problem. (In fact, it seems as though if I eat something in the mornings, I want to eat all day long. Go figure!) Skittles, there are a few microwaves around the building, but all of my breaks are working breaks, so I usually don't take the time to walk there and back. Not a bad idea, though!
  • chgudnitz
    chgudnitz Posts: 4,079
    Options
    No. Do not try to hold out until lunch. A late (but still in the morning) breakfast, fine. Skipping it all together and waiting until lunch is something else.

I'm not one to usually be this blunt, but skipping breakfast will derail you like nothing else. Your body will slow the metabolism to a minimal point to try to save energy. When you then do eat, you will store a good portion of that away as fat very quickly since your body doesn't know if it will be eating again soon.

EAT BREAKFAST. Nothing about any of the replys you received said to skip breakfast, just some info on people that wait an hour or 2 to eat it.

EAT IT, GOT IT?
  • Wishful
    Options
    Got it! Late is better than nothing.