1st time using 30 day shred

Options
and I could only do 10 minutes of level one:( I can tell though once I get more used to this that its going to be awesome.

Anyone else not able to finish the first time?

Replies

• roxie17
    roxie17 Posts: 71
    Options
    You will work yourself up and be able to do the whole circuit. That is a TOUGH workout I was able to finish the whole circuit but there is room for improvement on my part. Do what you can each time and before you know it you will be able to finish it. :flowerforyou: :flowerforyou:
  • MissNova
    MissNova Posts: 563 Member
    Options
    Actually at times you need to warm your body up, if you have an elliptical do that for about 10 mins so you aren't just jumping into it. If you don't have an elliptical just run in place for about 2 mins...Trust me it helps out.
  • Euphonasia
    Euphonasia Posts: 136
    Options
    I finished on the first day, but I probably shouldn't have. God, I was ridiculously sore. Even if you can't finish, keep your feet moving to keep up your heart rate so you can get some decent cardio at least.

By the way, I always remembered Jumping Jacks to be easy when I was a kid. Now, my boobs hit me in the face. It's insane!
  • Kidvicious28
    Kidvicious28 Posts: 1,613 Member
    Options
    Today will be my 6th day doing the 30 day shred. I've been able to do the entire workout (level 1) every day. Whenever I feel like I can't do anymore I just push myself that much harder to finish the tape. I mean it's only 20ish mins which isn't that long. I just take Jillian Michaels advice, if you want results you have to follow her each day for 30 days with little to no breaks. It's given me a lot of motivation that's for sure! :happy:
    I've already lost 2 lbs, .5 inch in each arm, 1 inch in my waist and hips in 6 days from doing her workout and that's pretty darn exciting!
    Once you get going you'll start seeing the lbs and inches melt away :smile: Good luck everyone!
  • MissNova
    MissNova Posts: 563 Member
    Options
    By the way, I always remembered Jumping Jacks to be easy when I was a kid. Now, my boobs hit me in the face. It's insane!
    [/quote]

:laugh: I agree with that Euphonasia ...I have to put two sports bra sometimes :laugh:
  • sabes2631
    sabes2631 Posts: 403
    Options
    i did it for the first time this week... my quads are killing me and i didnt even put full effort in.
    i want to take my measurements too since you all seem to lose INCHES!

Also, i only have 8 pound hand weights. I struggle with those...
    what weight is everyone using?
  • connie96
    connie96 Posts: 22
    Options

:laugh: I agree with that Euphonasia ...I have to put two sports bra sometimes :laugh:
    [/quote]

Sorta off topic here, but I wanted to recommend a sports bra... www.enell.com. They're expensive but they're awesome!! I HATED running and all kinds of exercise before I got this bra. No more black eyes!! :tongue:
  • terraskye
    terraskye Posts: 370 Member
    Options
    I finished on the first day, but I probably shouldn't have. God, I was ridiculously sore. Even if you can't finish, keep your feet moving to keep up your heart rate so you can get some decent cardio at least.

I remember them being easy too...I didnt have my boobs bouncing but my belly fat was sure a'flopping...LOL thank goodness I was home alone:laugh:
  • terraskye
    Options
    i did it for the first time this week... my quads are killing me and i didnt even put full effort in.
    i want to take my measurements too since you all seem to lose INCHES!

Also, i only have 8 pound hand weights. I struggle with those...
    what weight is everyone using?

I'm using 1.5 lbs for now..lol....I'm a wimp:D
  • Kidvicious28
    Kidvicious28 Posts: 1,613 Member
    Options
    my friend doesn't have any hand weights when she does the video...she actually uses cans from the kitchen! :laugh:
    I have 5lb hand weights.
  • terraskye
    Options
    Today will be my 6th day doing the 30 day shred. I've been able to do the entire workout (level 1) every day. Whenever I feel like I can't do anymore I just push myself that much harder to finish the tape. I mean it's only 20ish mins which isn't that long. I just take Jillian Michaels advice, if you want results you have to follow her each day for 30 days with little to no breaks. It's given me a lot of motivation that's for sure! :happy:
    I've already lost 2 lbs, .5 inch in each arm, 1 inch in my waist and hips in 6 days from doing her workout and that's pretty darn exciting!
    Once you get going you'll start seeing the lbs and inches melt away :smile: Good luck everyone!

That is great.....I figure that in time I will be able to do the entire 20 minutes. I figure its not like she will come out through the screen and throttle me::shudder::: I am giving myself until Sunday to be able to get through the entire 20 minutes or die:)
  • michele73
    michele73 Posts: 102
    Options
    Don't be so hard on yourself. You should be giving yourself credit for taking the time to change your life. We all have to start somewhere. Before you no it, you will be able to finish the whole dvd and won't even remember not being able to finish. Maybe on days you are not doing the dvd you can add in the cardio and that will prepare you more for Jillian's tough work outs. You should be proud of yourself because I know people who watched it without even doing it and gave up before trying. Good Luck! You can do this!!!

Michele
  • terraskye
    Options
    Don't be so hard on yourself. You should be giving yourself credit for taking the time to change your life. We all have to start somewhere. Before you no it, you will be able to finish the whole dvd and won't even remember not being able to finish. Maybe on days you are not doing the dvd you can add in the cardio and that will prepare you more for Jillian's tough work outs. You should be proud of yourself because I know people who watched it without even doing it and gave up before trying. Good Luck! You can do this!!!

Michele

Michele:)

Thanks for those words...i do have a tendency to be pretty hard on myself.. I think I was mostly disappointed because I walk pretty much every day though I thought I'd be prepared...LOL well I'm not giving up and am even more excited to keep at it

Fi
  • Azdak
    Azdak Posts: 8,281 Member
    Options
    There are some built in issues that are common to all floor exercises--without machines, it is more difficult to achieve smaller gradations of intensity and resistance. So you have these disparities where some movements are too easy and some are too hard, which can be a challenged for deconditioned beginners. From what I have seen of the level 1 workout, if you can do the harder movements, most of the workout will be too easy, and if it is overall challenging, then some of the moves are too difficult for beginners.

Take jumping jacks, for instance. Anytime you do a jumping movement, it is a high-intensity exercise. There is no "low intensity" version. Jumping higher or faster doesn't increase the intensity as much. This is true for jumping jacks or skipping rope. Once both feet leave the ground, you are getting close to an intensity equivalent to a slow run.

The challenge with a floor routine is that just walking in place is not nearly hard enough, but it's a big step to go to jumping jacks. (This is why step aerobics was developed--the steps allow a more graduated increase in intensity). And she introduces them so early in the workout, most beginners will not be warmed up properly. Most people will adapt quickly enough, but it can be a bit of a shock.

Another example is push ups. That's a lot of resistance, especially for women, even the modified version.

Contrast those with the squat combos and the "boxing" moves, which most people will outgrow very quickly.

My advice for beginners: Someone mentioned doing a little extra warm up before starting the tape--that's a good idea. Instead of jumping jacks, you might start with marching in place, with a wider arm swing and higher steps. Or try a side to side hop.

For some of the strength movements, don't try to match the speed and number of reps in the tape right away. Concentrate on good form and quality reps. If that means you only do 3-5 push ups instead of 10, or squats or whatever--that's fine.

There is no reason to feel beat up when starting a workout program. I respect Michaels' approach of "you have to push yourself and work hard to get results", but that's not necessarily true if you are a beginner. Beating yourself up in the beginning doesn't get you into shape any faster--it just hurts more.

Just my $.02
  • Azdak
    Options

Michele

Michele:)

Thanks for those words...i do have a tendency to be pretty hard on myself.. I think I was mostly disappointed because I walk pretty much every day though I thought I'd be prepared...LOL well I'm not giving up and am even more excited to keep at it

Fi

As adults, we don't realize how routine our movements become (as opposed to when we were kids, doing different things all day long). Any new activity is going to require some adaptation, esp one with multiple movements like an exercise class. It doesn't necessarily mean you are "out of shape". Exercise training is very specific to the activity being performed, so walking--good as it is--does not condition you for a fitness class. I learned this very graphically when I was much younger--early twenties. At that time, I was really into running, training at a good pace, 40-60 miles/wk. One afternoon I played softball with some friends for 2-3 hours. Could barely move the next day--or two--or three.

I like to challenge myself as well, and it can be really hard to accept not being able to "keep up" the first time. But I also know a lot about how the body adapts to exercise--you're doing great.
  • Euphonasia
    Euphonasia Posts: 136
    Options

Sorta off topic here, but I wanted to recommend a sports bra... www.enell.com. They're expensive but they're awesome!! I HATED running and all kinds of exercise before I got this bra. No more black eyes!! :tongue:

Holy frick, those are like the Fort Knox of sports bras. I am so getting one. Thanks for the info!
  • terraskye
    Options
    There are some built in issues that are common to all floor exercises--without machines, it is more difficult to achieve smaller gradations of intensity and resistance. So you have these disparities where some movements are too easy and some are too hard, which can be a challenged for deconditioned beginners. From what I have seen of the level 1 workout, if you can do the harder movements, most of the workout will be too easy, and if it is overall challenging, then some of the moves are too difficult for beginners.

Take jumping jacks, for instance. Anytime you do a jumping movement, it is a high-intensity exercise. There is no "low intensity" version. Jumping higher or faster doesn't increase the intensity as much. This is true for jumping jacks or skipping rope. Once both feet leave the ground, you are getting close to an intensity equivalent to a slow run.

The challenge with a floor routine is that just walking in place is not nearly hard enough, but it's a big step to go to jumping jacks. (This is why step aerobics was developed--the steps allow a more graduated increase in intensity). And she introduces them so early in the workout, most beginners will not be warmed up properly. Most people will adapt quickly enough, but it can be a bit of a shock.

Another example is push ups. That's a lot of resistance, especially for women, even the modified version.

Contrast those with the squat combos and the "boxing" moves, which most people will outgrow very quickly.

My advice for beginners: Someone mentioned doing a little extra warm up before starting the tape--that's a good idea. Instead of jumping jacks, you might start with marching in place, with a wider arm swing and higher steps. Or try a side to side hop.

For some of the strength movements, don't try to match the speed and number of reps in the tape right away. Concentrate on good form and quality reps. If that means you only do 3-5 push ups instead of 10, or squats or whatever--that's fine.

There is no reason to feel beat up when starting a workout program. I respect Michaels' approach of "you have to push yourself and work hard to get results", but that's not necessarily true if you are a beginner. Beating yourself up in the beginning doesn't get you into shape any faster--it just hurts more.

Just my $.02

Thank you so much for posting this!! I'm going to do what you say and take it at my own pace.

You Rock!!:bigsmile:
  • Sparklene
    Sparklene Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    I take an aerobics class two nights a week where we do cardio/step, handweights, lost of scrunches, lunges, etc. I've read here and elsewhere one should skip a day between strength training. So it's ok to do the shred without resting inbetween days? I looked at Level 1 and parts of Level 2 and we already do a lot of that in my class, so I'm assuming I can handle the shred without a horrible, horrible struggle from scratch. But would I not be sabotagging (sp?) myself by overdoing it everyday along with my class and/or walking and/or Curves? Do I just quit all else and do nothing but the shred???
  • Azdak
    Options
    I take an aerobics class two nights a week where we do cardio/step, handweights, lost of scrunches, lunges, etc. I've read here and elsewhere one should skip a day between strength training. So it's ok to do the shred without resting inbetween days? I looked at Level 1 and parts of Level 2 and we already do a lot of that in my class, so I'm assuming I can handle the shred without a horrible, horrible struggle from scratch. But would I not be sabotagging (sp?) myself by overdoing it everyday along with my class and/or walking and/or Curves? Do I just quit all else and do nothing but the shred???

I would not say there is one single answer. The idea behind recovery days, especially for strength workouts, is that what happens during the recovery time is as important as what happens during the workout time--i.e. the workout stimulates a process that progresses during the recovery time.

However, that refers more to a traditional, heavier, weight lifting routine where you are often doing the same exercises during each workout. Most aerobic classes do not involve that much resistance and you are doing a variety of movements. Personally, I don't think the "shred" is good enough to justify giving up your other classes/routines. I would say go ahead and do it if you think it is something you will enjoy. If you feel you are getting into an overtraining situation--general chronic fatigue or fatigued muscles, difficulty sleeping, feeling withdrawn or edgy, rise in resting heart rate are some of the symptoms--then take a few days off or cut back on a class or two and just do a cardio machine or something that day.

Everybody is an experiment of one, so I would not want to say unequivocally "no". Just be aware of the signs of overtraining and make the necessary adjustments.
  • Learning2LoveMe
    Learning2LoveMe Posts: 1,430 Member
    Options

That is great.....I figure that in time I will be able to do the entire 20 minutes. I figure its not like she will come out through the screen and throttle me::shudder::: I am giving myself until Sunday to be able to get through the entire 20 minutes or die:)

I'm not on 30 day shred (saving that for my last 10-20) but I'm working on Banish fat, boost metabolism and I wish she would jump right out of the screen and start yelling and screaming at me LOL. I know I would work 200% harder if I had her yelling in the video :laugh: :laugh: