Can it be done without exercise?

Options
Hi everyone.
I am trying to lose weight, I need to lose weight, but I can not exercise right now. I am dealing with a whole host of health issues, and one of those issues is a medication that causes severe nausea and fatigue as a side effect. I can barely do my daily tasks as a mom, let alone exercise.
I'm hoping that the side effects fade over time, but in the mean time can I lose weight without exercise? Is it possible?

I'm not trying to use a cop out, as I would love to get outside and walk or jog, but walking up a flight of stairs has me ready for a nap. :(

Thanks.

Replies

• ladyace2078
    ladyace2078 Posts: 460 Member
    Options
    Yes it can be done. I was on exercise restriction due to a hernia and subsequent surgeries/recoveries. During that 4 months I lost 10 lbs just by changing my diet.
  • bethc370
    bethc370 Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    Thank you for your reply, and some hope!
  • Scorpioangel
    Scorpioangel Posts: 951 Member
    Options
    Yes it can be done! My boyfriend has lost all of his weight (25 pounds) except 2 pounds by watching what he eats on here. He will go running with me on occasion but it's nothing regular so yes it's possible :)
  • christina471
    Options
    Yes it is definitely possible! :flowerforyou: My dad has lost 70 pounds just by changing his eating habits, he has not exercised at all. You can do it!:smile:
  • Tink_889
    Tink_889 Posts: 244 Member
    Options
    Yes, it can definitely be done :)

Like you, I have health problems which make doing every day tasks difficult, let alone a lot of exercise so I will be relying a lot on my diet to get me through.
    I lost a lot of weight before (I must admit I did regain but not to do with exercise) without exercising so it can be done.

I hope you begin to at least feel a little better soon x
  • NaomiWhite77
    NaomiWhite77 Posts: 238 Member
    Options
    Yes, you can do this! I lost the first 40 lbs with diet and the same amount of walking that I always did.
  • bethc370
    bethc370 Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    Thank you everyone!
    So far I have lost 7 pounds, but I blame that on side effects as well, no appetite. Right now I'm counting calories to make sure I eat enough to stay out of starvation mode, but that side effect is supposed to be temporary. Hopefully I can be another success story. I have 80# to lose and I appreciate you all taking the time to reply. It really gives me hope that I can do this!
  • purpleipod
    purpleipod Posts: 1,147 Member
    Options
    By all means yes. Exercise if you feel like it but if not then don't. Creating a calorie deficit with diet alone will cause weight loss.
  • adamb83
    adamb83 Posts: 719 Member
    Options
    Though it's not the ideal way to lose weight, it can definitely be done and, based on your circumstances, sounds like the best option right now.

Getting a handle on your nutrition and monitoring your calorie intake will absolutely help - but, considering your medical issues, I would absolute recommend speaking to your doctor about the best way to pursue this right now.
  • gia54
    gia54 Posts: 7
    Options
    Hi I am in the same boat. I was told no exercise till futher notice from doctors. My heart rate will not stablize. I started on 4-30-12 on 1300 calories. Should we change our calories every so often to lose weight since we can not exercise. Anyone have any suggestions Thank You
  • pullipgirl
    pullipgirl Posts: 767 Member
    Options
    I lost the first 10 lbs just watching calories and walking the dog for 20 minutes each day around the block
  • nnylee
    nnylee Posts: 814 Member
    Options
    I lost the first 12lbs by just watching calories. So yes! :D
  • clockworkkarly
    Options
    I am living proof! i lost over 40 lbs since January just by changing my eating habits. amazing huh? :) you have to be very disciplined and willed though!
  • d2footballJRC
    d2footballJRC Posts: 2,684 Member
    Options
    Hi everyone.
    I am trying to lose weight, I need to lose weight, but I can not exercise right now. I am dealing with a whole host of health issues, and one of those issues is a medication that causes severe nausea and fatigue as a side effect. I can barely do my daily tasks as a mom, let alone exercise.
    I'm hoping that the side effects fade over time, but in the mean time can I lose weight without exercise? Is it possible?

I'm not trying to use a cop out, as I would love to get outside and walk or jog, but walking up a flight of stairs has me ready for a nap. :(

Thanks.

Yes it can be done! Losing weight is 80% diet, 20% working out. If you don't work out just hit your diet and you'll lose weight! Working out just speeds up the process, helps with keeping lean muscle, and toning.
  • sharleengc
    sharleengc Posts: 792 Member
    Options
    You definitely can! I exercise for a week or two then don't for like a month and my weight loss has stayed consistent as long as I log everything and weigh it out. I would recommend that you invest in a food scale so you're not just guessing.

Feel free to add me if you'd like!
  • dalgal26
    dalgal26 Posts: 781 Member
    Options
    Yes, yes, yes! :happy:

Wishing you success in your journey to a new you! :drinker:
  • BigDaddyBRC
    BigDaddyBRC Posts: 2,395 Member
    Options
    YEP. Very little workout and 40+ pounds down.

That being said, I need to move my *kitten* to get my goal when I want it.

Enjoy your journey...Be aware, make the right choices, and ACT upon them. You will succeed!
  • manderson27
    manderson27 Posts: 3,510 Member
    Options
    I have a back and knee problems that curtails my excercise but even so I have still lost 28 1lbs so yes it can be done. :flowerforyou:
  • Mindywhitley
    Mindywhitley Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    I lost about 46 pounds without exercising. Just now started with walking and have dropped a few more. Still not doing more than that, but am thinking of doing some strength training.
  • Losingweightforgood2019
    Options
    I believe so, my mom is in a wheel chair and she has lost weight.