Need help on weight lifting

Options
So....I am a 5'6'' male that is 26 yrs old and is weighing in at 180 lbs now. I have lost 64 lbs since October.

So my trainer which i dont have anymore...program is over....saw me and said I am looking awesome but it looks like I have lost alot of muscle. So basically I want to maintain this weight now and start bulking up as I want to burn calories as Muscle will do this for me :)

So I heard that I should start lifting heavier weights for one rep about 6-8 lifts...if that make sense. I am upset I have lost muscle and want to get it back.

Hopefully someone can help me? I dont even have a program to follow daily.

Replies

• Flippiefloppies
    Options
    I am not really up on mens fitness but bodybuilding.com have alot of workout programs. You just pick on according to your fitness goals.
  • mmapags
    mmapags Posts: 8,934 Member
    Options
    Take a look at Starting Strength and Stronglifts 5x5. I do Stronglifts and it's great. Also has a very helpful iPhone app to help track progress.
  • kneeki
    kneeki Posts: 347 Member
    Options
    Do SS (Starting Strength) routines; do /NOT/ follow it's diet plan.

http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=998224&page=1
  • banffkid
    banffkid Posts: 59
    Options
    Did you guys start using "SS" to get where you are now? I did see an app for it.
  • warmachinejt
    warmachinejt Posts: 2,167 Member
    Options
    I don't understand....do you want to maintain weight or bulk up? :ohwell:
  • banffkid
    Options
    Hey, I want to build more muscle as I am getting to skinny now. So bulking up would be the plan
  • kneeki
    kneeki Posts: 347 Member
    Options
    What's your bodyfat right now? And yes, I used the SS /ROUTINE/, not the diet plan.

loldrinkingagallonofmilkaday
  • thistimeismytime
    thistimeismytime Posts: 711 Member
    Options
    If you want to bulk up, you need to lift heavy. You could choose a split program where you train each bodypart 1x/week, or you can choose one of these newer programs--any lifting is good. But also, I took a look at your diary, and you are gonna have to get a LOT more protein in if you want to build muscles....more like 1.5 grams per lb of lean body mass. I'm a girl trying to lose weight/condition muscle and I eat about 150-170 gm/day. I know there's a lot of debate about this, but I'm telling you from experience, you have to bump up your protein. In my 20s, I lifted heavy, but ate very little protein--saw puny results...Now I've only been back in lifting for 3 1/2 months, and my results are much, much more noticable. I'm NOT low-carb at all, I eat tons of carbs--but protein is a must for building muscle. You may need to look at some protein shakes if it's too hard to get it all from regular food.

Get lots of good proteins, fats, and carbs + Lift Heavy = Results, baby. :drinker:
  • banffkid
    Options
    I am not sure on my bodyfat. I know I still have a bit of belly and chest needs to get more muscle.
  • banffkid
    Options
    I am also going to TRX class twice a week which is good for core work-out but I thought I should stay longer after and lift some heavy weights. I do have new zealand whey protein which is 25g of protein per scoop
  • thistimeismytime
    thistimeismytime Posts: 711 Member
    Options
    I am also going to TRX class twice a week which is good for core work-out but I thought I should stay longer after and lift some heavy weights. I do have new zealand whey protein which is 25g of protein per scoop

Sounds like you're making a lot of positive changes. You are 100% capable of accomplishing your goals...work hard and keep going! :flowerforyou: