Pain while walking

Options
Athijade
Athijade Posts: 3,249 Member
Hopefully someone here can give me a bit of advice.

Twice a week I go on a 40-50 minute walk. It never fails that about 10 minutes in I get a really bad pain in my outer ankles. It feels as if the tendons are super tight and not stretching any. This happens even if I try and stretch them out before starting. It keeps me from really being able to push myself.

Strangely, jogging doesn't hurt nearly as bad as walking.

Any suggestions on what it could be and what I can do to prevent it?

Replies

• wellbert
    wellbert Posts: 3,924 Member
    Options
    This sounds like a shoe problem. Have you tried different shoes?
  • parteegirl01
    Options
    I have no idea what causes this, but I have always had the same problem. Walking hurts my outer ankles, and abour halfway up the oustide of my leg. Jogging doesn't hurt nearly as bad. I've tried different shoes, nothing seems to make it any better. I think it's because I tend to put all my weight on the outside of my foot. I hope someone has an answer to what causes it, cause I would really like to know as well.
  • Athijade
    Athijade Posts: 3,249 Member
    Options
    This sounds like a shoe problem. Have you tried different shoes?

I have tried different shoes, but it seems to make no difference. Same pain in the same area.

It sounds odd, but could dehydration cause it?
  • ladyfingers39
    Options
    I am here to say, don't keep doing it if it it hurts! I kept walking through the pain a few years ago and heard a loud pop. Tore a tendon and still to this day I have to baby it.

Buy a ankle wrap, use it. Make sure your walking heal to toe. Start off slow and build your speed.
  • tomomatic
    tomomatic Posts: 1,794 Member
    Options
    Do you know if you have flat feet or not? If so, there's shoes for that. Visit a running store and look up "motion control" shoes. They're gonna be more rigid. RunningGuru.com has recommendations.

The other thing to look at is if you have plantar fascitis. There's a splint that you can wear at night (see Amazon.com). This will prevent your tendon from tightening up at night.
  • TexasGirl92
    TexasGirl92 Posts: 76 Member
    Options
    I have to agree with those that said try different shoes. Your best bet is to find a running store near you that can analyze you gait and help you select a shoe that will work best for you. It's not a certain brand or style some one can suggest for you with out seeing how you walk. I live in a small town and had to drive 2 hours to get fitted for a pair of running shoes but well worth it. No more shin split or other pain other that just being sore when I push myself. After you know what type you need you can always choose to purchase them online.