Ankle Tendonitis - need workout tips!

Options
I was recently diagonsed with ankle tendonitis (bummer!). I am in a wallking cast and was told I need to wear it for 2 weeks and then stay off of it for an additional 1-2 weeks. Well, my 2 weeks is almost up and I am almost certain I will need it longer and then probably those additional weeks after!

I was getting into a great workout routine which has now come to a halt.

Any suggestions on things I can do while in this "boot"? I know I can lift weights but I feel like I need to do something more.

Also, anyone have experience with inner ankle tendonitis? Any suggtions? Or advice?

Thanks in advance for your help. I am totally bummed!

Replies

• hbrittingham
    hbrittingham Posts: 2,518 Member
    Options
    I had ankle tendonitis back in February. I took a week off from all cardio and then did the arc trainer after that. During my week off, I did strength training. My biggest caution is to not push it. A month of not doing cardio is a lot better than blowing out the tendon and having to take a year off!
  • ladyace2078
    ladyace2078 Posts: 460 Member
    Options
    Take it very very slow. I had it, followed the recommended 2 weeks of boot, 2 weeks of rest. Then I jumped back in and basically had to start all over, but wear the boot for 4 weeks. You may still be able to do strength training for your upper body while in the boot, just be careful. Start with slow pace walking to introduce moving the ankle normally. A stationary bike may also get your ankle moving without the added risk of rolling it. My ankle was really weak after the second time with the boot. It took a couple months to 'rehabilitate' back to my normal activity level.
  • seebeachrun
    seebeachrun Posts: 221 Member
    Options
    Take it easy. The biggest relief for me came when I iced it on and off for a full weekend. It just takes time to heal. If you push it too hard too fast, it will only take longer to heal and you might do more permanent damage.

You can always do the arm bike. ;)

Swimming is a good option as well if you have access to a pool.
  • stingrayinfl
    stingrayinfl Posts: 284 Member
    Options
    cortisone shot helped me
  • bprague
    bprague Posts: 564 Member
    Options
    I changed my shoes to... no shoes. Only then did my tendonitis go away. I had it for about 6 months. I would get it really bad, stay off my foot until it healed, start running again, then get it again. It was all very frustrating.

I don't expect you to nix the shoes like I did, but it was the only thing that helped me. Anyway, in the mean time, just lift weights like a beast. My profile picture is from a couple months ago after I started lifting intensely.