HELP!! my arms are ruining my weight loss!!

Options
I have done a great job of getting myself started on this journey that I WILL finish this time. I have been "on it" since January and have almost hit 15 pounds down! With this I am starting to feel "normal" and not the fat girl. I love that I can wear nicer clothes and people notice the new me:) I am however not looking forward to summer clothes because of my arms.....which I call my bat wings. I am ok if i am not toned enough for a spaghetti strap tank BUT I want to look "ok" in a short sleeved or feel comfortable in a sleeveless shirt. I know it will take time and lifting.....

I am currently doing all the tricept things I know of with free weights, some resistance band stuff for fake "pull ups" (since I can not do real ones) and some reverse pushups and I do see SOME progress......anything else I can do??

AND I keep hearing that the lighter 5 and 8 pound weights I use will DO NOTHING...so how heavy do I go?? Do I have to do one bicept kick back a day with a 90 pound weight to see any results???

Replies

• Vespyr
    Vespyr Posts: 111 Member
    Options
    You'll hear lots of this. Keep going heavier, as heavy as you can go for 2 or 3 sets of 8-12 reps. Just all over weight loss will eventually make it to your arms. They's stubborn.
  • Sl1ghtly
    Sl1ghtly Posts: 855 Member
    Options
    It takes time and a reasonable calorie deficit. Lifting doesn't make things smaller.
  • superstarcassie
    superstarcassie Posts: 296 Member
    Options
    I have loose skin on my triceps from weight loss, but it is MUCH improved from lifting. When I lift, I try to go as heavy as I can for the amount of reps I'm going to be doing. For example, with shoulder press, I do 30 lb dumbbells in each arm....but only do 8 reps, 3 or 4 sets. Work your way up to heavier weights, start with as heavy as you think you can go. If its too heavy, grab a lighter weight. I would suggest the book the New Rules of Lifting for Women. I have seen some good results as I have just finished up stage 1. I can already tell I am so much stronger that when I started. It gives you a good plan for lifting.
  • thistimeismytime
    thistimeismytime Posts: 711 Member
    Options
    It takes time and a reasonable calorie deficit. Lifting doesn't make things smaller.

I have to respectfully disagree. The heavier I lift, the more my measurements go down...sure, my muscles are more noticeable and defined, but the actual measurements keep going down. You have to really challenge your muscles if you want to tighten up your body...I'm not where I want to be yet, but I'm a huge believer in lifting hard. Enjoy your journey! :flowerforyou:
  • cpiton
    cpiton Posts: 380 Member
    Options

I have to respectfully disagree. The heavier I lift, the more my measurements go down...sure, my muscles are more noticeable and defined, but the actual measurements keep going down. You have to really challenge your muscles if you want to tighten up your body...I'm not where I want to be yet, but I'm a huge believer in lifting hard. Enjoy your journey! :flowerforyou:

^^This! I lost a half inch in my upper arms in the first 4 weeks of lifting heavy. It most definitely makes them smaller and tighter. I know how you feel, though. It's my most stubborn body part.

Edit: I should add that I agree it takes time and good nutrition along with a healthy calorie deficit. :smile: