SOS - Abs!

Options
Ok, I am *almost* at my goal weight, so I am limiting the amount of cardio I was doing, and am incorporating more strength training. My issue is, every part of my body is really starting to get toned.. but I can't, for the life of me, get rid of this small band of fat on my belly. The abs are there! I have 2, but the remaining are under this stupid ball of fat. It looks so awkward because you can almost see my ribs and two abs, but the rest remain a mystery. I can't possibly do any more crunches/ab work-outs/roman chair reps.

My work-outs look like this: I do high-intensity zumba about 4 times a week, my weight training is maybe 3 days, and I do crunches and ab work just about everyday. I also run 2-3 times a week as well (depending on the weather).

I need some type of new tip, something I'm doing wrong.. something I can possibly ad, or maybe different food variations?

SOS!

Replies

• kjensen15
    kjensen15 Posts: 398 Member
    Options
    Abs are made in the kitchen! Its all about diet!
  • jennis82
    jennis82 Posts: 76
    Options
    ok? So what do you need to eat then??
  • Flippiefloppies
    Options
    Its all about the diet when it comes to abs. You need to eat clean healthy foods. Nothing processed. Avacadoes, almonds, eggs, veggies, jalapeanos, green tea, oat meal, olive oil, pork , salmon, tuna, turkey, chicken just to name a few. Doesn't matter how many ab workouts you do. They are not going to show unless you get rid of the layers of fat over them.
  • kjensen15
    kjensen15 Posts: 398 Member
    Options
    Its all about the diet when it comes to abs. You need to eat clean healthy foods. Nothing processed. Avacadoes, almonds, eggs, veggies, jalapeanos, green tea, oat meal, olive oil, pork , salmon, tuna, turkey, chicken just to name a few. Doesn't matter how many ab workouts you do. They are not going to show unless you get rid of the layers of fat over them.

Yep this ^^^!!
  • gxm17
    gxm17 Posts: 374
    Options
    If I'm reading your post right, it sounds like you might need to add more lower ab exercises to your workout. Have you tried pilates toe dips? I've found that yoga ab workouts can often do a good job of targeting the lower abs. Exhale's Core Fusion: Energy Flow Yoga has a really good ab section. Lolasana is (IMO) one of the best yoga poses for the lower abs and IIRC they show a modification using blocks.

I realize that a 6-pack is made in the kitchen but I was able to change the shape of my stomach using ab exercises. Still working on getting rid of the flab but my belly is the flattest it's ever been in my life.

You may also want to give your abs some rest days. There's conflicting opinions, some trainers say you can work them every day and other trainers say that it's best to give them a rest.

Good luck!
  • stingrayinfl
    stingrayinfl Posts: 284 Member
    Options
    go to topmilitary workouts...tells you how to get good abs, workouts , eating, etc. Also has great advice for women.
  • Testosterone
    Testosterone Posts: 236 Member
    Options
    abs dont require workouts at all. compound lifts such as squats and dead lifts work them perfectly. any exercise you can do standing, do. you burn more calories and work your core the entire time.
  • Il_DaniD_lI
    Il_DaniD_lI Posts: 1,593 Member
    Options
    bump for later
  • sapalee
    sapalee Posts: 409 Member
    Options
    I second the lower ab workout to help tighten everything in and eating clean. Sit-ups on an ab-mat (or folded up towel) really get my lower belly burning, all the way down to the pelvic bone.

You may want to consider cutting back on carbs from grains to help get rid of the "wheat belly". May no work for everyone but my hubby and I dropped inches from our waists when we went paleo/primal.
  • sapalee
    sapalee Posts: 409 Member
    Options
    abs dont require workouts at all. compound lifts such as squats and dead lifts work them perfectly. any exercise you can do standing, do. you burn more calories and work your core the entire time.

And this
  • Jessie__86
    Options
    Bump :)