Overweight spin instructor

Options

Replies

• katscoots
    katscoots Posts: 255 Member
    Options
    I personally don't consider it one way or the other. if the instructor can do the class and challenge me, then I will return to that class.
  • tara7302011
    tara7302011 Posts: 94 Member
    Options
    I think I might actually try a spin class if I wasn't the only overweight person there....Go for it!!
  • AZKristi
    AZKristi Posts: 1,801 Member
    Options
    I don't think it matters what you weigh if you can do the workout and have the ability to inspire people to do more than they thought they could. If the workout is fun and challenging, people will come back.
  • auticus
    auticus Posts: 1,051 Member
    Options
    My favorite personal story. Because it involves me.

So I'm helping people run to train for 5k and Warrior runs etc... last fall I was told that I was too fat to try to instruct. After all... how can a fat guy possibly run 5k.

;)

Being an endurance runner most of my life... I warm up with 5ks. Even as a fat guy. So yeah. Who the hell cares if they are overweight if they can train you and can do what they are preaching?
  • 00trayn
    00trayn Posts: 1,849 Member
    Options
    There's a spin instructor at my gym who is considerably overweight, but he's known for having a butt-kicking workout! Once you go once, you know he's legit and you'll have a good workout with him. That's really all that matters, I don't really care what the instructor of a class looks like, I just want to have fun and work up a sweat.
  • fanceegirl75
    fanceegirl75 Posts: 620 Member
    Options
    You would not be the first and certainly not the last. I say go for it. It will be great for you and you never know who you may encourage to jump on board!
  • saragato
    saragato Posts: 1,154
    Options
    As long as you have the knowledge you should and can do everything you would be teaching, I say go for it. It seems silly to expect every instructor to be a twig or someone that looks like they run marathons on the highway for fun. Many people would feel more comfortable with someone that's not intimidatingly thin/toned and some would find it unappealing, but at the end of the day so long as you're helping the people you're instructing, that's all that matters.
  • cPT_Helice
    cPT_Helice Posts: 403
    Options
    So, I was considering getting my spinning instructor certification in November but decided against it because I didn't think that people would want to take a class with an overweight instructor, but now I am considering it again.

Do you guys think that having an overweight instructor (who is capable of doing the workouts.... I do olympic distance triathlons for pete's sake!) would be motivating or the opposite?

Would you take a spin class with an overweight instructor if they were knowledgeable about cycling AND spinning, and were also

It depends how overweight. 10 pounds or so is fine. If someone is really overweight, I don't think they should be a fitness instructor or a personal trainer. A lot of gyms won't hire overweight instructors. It's like going to a hair stylist with really bad hair. I think it's a good motivator towards getting into better shape and then becoming an instructor.
  • lau444
    lau444 Posts: 120 Member
    Options
    I think the general consensus here is: GO FOR IT! You obviously have the stamina to lead a class, so why not? Gyms can be a very intimidating place for overweight people, so seeing you, someone who is heavier and full of endurance, can help a lot of people who otherwise would have never given spinning a try.
  • LaviMc
    LaviMc Posts: 355 Member
    Options
    I was also thinking of doing this. And although I'm overweight for now, I wasn't always and I kick *kitten* in the HARDEST of spinning classes. I don't think it would matter if you really know what you're doing. Plus, I hear that the training is so intense that you'll lose weight during the training anyway. Just because you may be a bit overweight, doesn't mean your health is completely in the toilet, because just like there are skinny, out of shape people, there are healthy, overweight people.

If it's your passion, I say go for it, full speed ahead! And let me know how it turns out. After all, I will be following in your footsteps in the future! :wink:
  • erosales0117
    Options
    As long as you feel good and want to teach you shouldn't let anybody hold you back! My boyfriend is a personal trainer and he had an amazing body, but he got hurt in the army so he had to get shoulder surgery. Well his shoulder was so bad they told him he couldn't lift weights for at least 6 months. Since he couldn't go any running or any activity he has gained about 40 pounds and has lost the shape of his muscle in his arms, but since he is training people often give a look "how are we suppose to follow him when he is fat" But that doesn't stop him from training. He doesn't care what people say. Either they do the excercise and follow instructions or they use you being "fat" as an excuse and not do anything. Don't let anything stop you and besides, what's better than working out and getting paid!! So I say go for it!!
  • erickirb
    erickirb Posts: 12,293 Member
    Options
    So, I was considering getting my spinning instructor certification in November but decided against it because I didn't think that people would want to take a class with an overweight instructor, but now I am considering it again.

Do you guys think that having an overweight instructor (who is capable of doing the workouts.... I do olympic distance triathlons for pete's sake!) would be motivating or the opposite?

Would you take a spin class with an overweight instructor if they were knowledgeable about cycling AND spinning, and were also

It depends how overweight. 10 pounds or so is fine. If someone is really overweight, I don't think they should be a fitness instructor or a personal trainer. A lot of gyms won't hire overweight instructors. It's like going to a hair stylist with really bad hair. I think it's a good motivator towards getting into better shape and then becoming an instructor.

What you are missing here is that spinning is great for fitness, but it is diet that controls weight (it is far easier to out eat a good exercise program, as you can easily eat or drink 500 cals in 5 minutes but it may take 45 minutes to burn that much). So as long of the instructor is fit, the amount of fat they have is irrelevant for cardio.
  • WhitneyAnnabelle
    WhitneyAnnabelle Posts: 724 Member
    Options
    I say go for it, but be prepared for possible rejection by employers because a lot of people DO believe that size is an indicator of fitness (I don't believe this for a second). There's no reason why you shouldn't be able to do it-- I would prefer a healthy, fit, overweight instructor to an unhealthy, unfit, thin instructor. Sure, the fit, overweight thing sounds counterintuitive, but I don't think it is in all cases.
  • Articeluvsmemphis
    Articeluvsmemphis Posts: 1,987 Member
    Options
    GO.FOR.IT

-I've seen heavier people teach Zumba and whatnot. When you are good, and fit, nothing else should matter. Obviously you're working on it, lol
  • godblessourhome
    godblessourhome Posts: 3,892 Member
    Options
    here is my favorite cycling teacher - http://breathedenver.wordpress.com/2011/10/05/im-just-titling-this-one-peggy-dyer/

she is a large woman, but she knows how to push us and how to keep the class fun. i love her!
    edited to add that her classes are always full and often have a waiting list.
  • kelleybelly35
    kelleybelly35 Posts: 73 Member
    Options
    I say go for it :)
    The best spin class I ever went to was taught by an instructor who was 8 months pregnant and she kicked our butts, this just goes to prove weight has nothing to do with fitness....I would take your class gladly :)
  • em9371
    em9371 Posts: 1,047 Member
    Options
    the weight / size of the instructor wouldn't bother me, more their ability to do the class. IMO, in order to teach a class properly an instructor should be able to demonstrate everything they exepct people in the class to do.
    I had a boxing instructor last week who wasnt overweight, pretty average size but he couldnt do 10 decent pressups....not a good example!
    If you do triathlons you obviously know a lot about cycling and i would come to your class :-)
  • varosalynn3
    varosalynn3 Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    Yes go for it! I had an overweight instructer, she worked me to death. She was in better shape then me. It encourage me not to give up.
  • Pappabacon
    Pappabacon Posts: 104 Member
    Options
    the more you spin, the less overweight you will be
  • rosied915
    rosied915 Posts: 799 Member
    Options
    here is my favorite cycling teacher - http://breathedenver.wordpress.com/2011/10/05/im-just-titling-this-one-peggy-dyer/

she is a large woman, but she knows how to push us and how to keep the class fun. i love her!
    edited to add that her classes are always full and often have a waiting list.

Wow! Checked out your link and she is amazing!! How lucky are you to have her as your instructor!!