Self-perception difficulties

I'm recently new to MFP. Love all the support and encouraging words from everyone. Looking for suggestions on how to improve my self-perception. I have lost 83 lbs total since I began my weightloss journey and 10.2 pounds since I began MFP. I still see myself as looking the same way I did 83 lbs heavier....not sure why....but would like to accept the new me and be proud of my accomplishment. Does anyone else have this problem with their self-perception? If so, how have you overcome this struggle?

Replies

• stellaskies
    stellaskies Posts: 161 Member
    Have you bought new clothes? I've heard people say that they needed a mini makeover before they accepted their new body. Maybe a change of hair color? Something to shock your brain into seeing the new you.

You may also have some kind of body dysmorphic disorder which might require a professional, unfortunately.
  • scribb
    scribb Posts: 3,659 Member
    Maybe it would help you to have someone help you with this. I know for me I could not do this alone. I did not like the way that I looked. I would not look at the mirror. I was also hiding behind bulky clothing. I thought everyone would want to cover their eyes if I was in anything other than bulky clothing. It to some persuasion and time, but I was able work thru this by just being around this person and having them not comment on how I look without the bulky clothing, but just to not make a big deal about it. It was a great feeling.