MFP App, BMR and TDEE Question

Options
If my BMR is 2184. And I choose moderately active and exercise 5 days a week, then my TDEE 3193. Should I be using the MFP app to calculate exercise? If I eat 2500 calories and burn 500, should I eat 500 more to get 2500 calories?

Replies

• union410
    union410 Posts: 32
    Options
    From what I've been reading, if I choose moderately active I should not track my exercise calories and just make sure I exercise 3-5x/week. So I never worry about putting calories back in and just eat 20% higher than my BMR? Is this correct?
  • boodlelibra
    boodlelibra Posts: 74 Member
    Options
    bump
  • ElizabethRoad
    ElizabethRoad Posts: 5,138 Member
    Options
    MFP is set up so that when you choose how active you are, you don't count your exercise. Then whatever you burn from exercise should be eaten on top of your normal daily allowance.

Or, you can give yourself a higher activity level, but then you should not eat your exercise calories because they've already been accounted for. This method seems less accurate to me, since the amount of exercise you do may not be consistent.
  • union410
    Options
    MFP is set up so that when you choose how active you are, you don't count your exercise. Then whatever you burn from exercise should be eaten on top of your normal daily allowance.

Or, you can give yourself a higher activity level, but then you should not eat your exercise calories because they've already been accounted for. This method seems less accurate to me, since the amount of exercise you do may not be consistent.

Yeah I guess that what is confusing me. I chose the lightest option because I have a desk job. So it put me at 1560 calories. My BMR is 2184 though. I always eat more than 1560 because I exercise everyday but sometimes I do not eat my 2184 (BMR). But according to a lot of people on this website I'm supposed to be eating at least my BMR. So that means the 1560 number is no good. So essentially, only use the MFP App to track calories and nevermind their suggestions?
  • 75Juniper
    75Juniper Posts: 376
    Options
    bump
  • ladyraven68
    ladyraven68 Posts: 2,003 Member
    Options

Yeah I guess that what is confusing me. I chose the lightest option because I have a desk job. So it put me at 1560 calories. My BMR is 2184 though. I always eat more than 1560 because I exercise everyday but sometimes I do not eat my 2184 (BMR). But according to a lot of people on this website I'm supposed to be eating at least my BMR. So that means the 1560 number is no good. So essentially, only use the MFP App to track calories and nevermind their suggestions?

MFP is a great tracking tool, and for some people the numbers it spits out for losses are perfect to enable them to lose fat healthily. BUt it is just a calculator, not a doctor or nutritionist, and it does not know your individual metabolism.

For me, when I first started it gave me 1200 calories to lose 1lb per week. I did not question it, I just went with it as I didn't know any better.

Then after a few weeks I was feeling lightheaded and dizzy, feeling cold, and discovered those were signs of undereating. I sought advice from MFP friends, increased my goal to 1600, (TDEE - 20%) and have lost steadily every week since then.

Like you, I actually think I am sedentary, but that setting gives me too low an allowance. It is actually impossible for MFP to give me an allowance of 1600 to lose 1lb a week, even when I chose the most active setting it gives me 1580, so yes I ignore MFP's settings after doing my own research.

It's all trial and error. I decided to try 1600 reduce if it didn't work, but thankfully it is working perfectly.

You just need to find your own sweet spot.
  • union410
    Options

MFP is a great tracking tool, and for some people the numbers it spits out for losses are perfect to enable them to lose fat healthily. BUt it is just a calculator, not a doctor or nutritionist, and it does not know your individual metabolism.

For me, when I first started it gave me 1200 calories to lose 1lb per week. I did not question it, I just went with it as I didn't know any better.

Then after a few weeks I was feeling lightheaded and dizzy, feeling cold, and discovered those were signs of undereating. I sought advice from MFP friends, increased my goal to 1600, (TDEE - 20%) and have lost steadily every week since then.

Like you, I actually think I am sedentary, but that setting gives me too low an allowance. It is actually impossible for MFP to give me an allowance of 1600 to lose 1lb a week, even when I chose the most active setting it gives me 1580, so yes I ignore MFP's settings after doing my own research.

It's all trial and error. I decided to try 1600 reduce if it didn't work, but thankfully it is working perfectly.

Can you tell me how you figured out your TDEE? And does it take into consideration your goal weight or how much you want to lose per week?
  • ladyraven68
    ladyraven68 Posts: 2,003 Member
    Options

Can you tell me how you figured out your TDEE? And does it take into consideration your goal weight or how much you want to lose per week?

I got my numbers ran by Helloitsdan , but both these sites give me the same number as the calculation he used.
    I went with lightly active as I try to run 3 times a week.

http://www.skinbodyfitness.com/bmr_bmi_bfp.htm - gives me 2008
    http://www.fat2fitradio.com/tools/bmr/ (put your current weight as your goal weight) gives me 2012

So, 20% from that gives me 1600.