"starvation mode"

Options
I know, I know, I should eat more, but the past 2 days I've eaten around 900 calories (along with 45 minutes of brisk walking each day) so I am really allowed 1700 or something (my set is 1270).

Anyway, I know it's not good, but does this put me in "starvation mode"?

I have a hard time not eating too much protein/carbs, so once I hit the limit I can't seem to find anything without carbs/protein to up my calories. What do you suggest? My yogurt and carrots and watermelon and oranges that I like adds protein...

Thanks.

Replies

• raincloud
    raincloud Posts: 405 Member
    Options
    I know, I know, I should eat more, but the past 2 days I've eaten around 900 calories (along with 45 minutes of brisk walking each day) so I am really allowed 1700 or something (my set is 1270).

Anyway, I know it's not good, but does this put me in "starvation mode"?

I have a hard time not eating too much protein/carbs, so once I hit the limit I can't seem to find anything without carbs/protein to up my calories. What do you suggest? My yogurt and carrots and watermelon and oranges that I like adds protein...

Thanks.
  • beanyspoon
    Options
    I struggle to eat 1200 calories too.

I think "starvation mode" depends on your own body and you will learn when you stop loosing weight from eating too little. Experiement a bit, but give it time. Maybe try eating 1200 a day for a while, if you can and see how it compares to eating what you are eating now - you may actually loose more weight.

I don't think it will hurt every once in a while to go below 1200, however I don't think it's good on a long term basis because of a lack of nutrition.
  • garimac
    garimac Posts: 174
    Options
    look under general discussion under the topic working out vs starvation mode
    its from earier today and their is some great advice.
  • avr1321
    Options
    the simple definition of someone who is anorexic is a person who eats fewer then 900 calories a day. you body needs at least 1000-1200 just to function all your organs. eating 900 or fewer calories will cause you body to "freak out" and stop burning up extra calories because it needs everything it has to survive. its really not safe to eat that little. and if your not THAT hungry but need that calories try a power bar, or a kashi bar, or something like that.
  • stephaniek
    Options
    yeah, I'm pretty sure that would put you into starvation mode. You really need to eat enough so that your basal metabolic rate is met (BMR) --- you can find it under the tools section and plug in your numbers to get it. Also, with your weight loss goals I am assuming you are not eating nearly enough which is just going to tell your body to hang onto everything it's got. If you see a dip on the scale it is probably water weight. What types of proteins and carbs are you eating? Most everything will have a little protein in it. Some good sources of protein are beans (hummus dip is great with carrots or other veggies), nut butters, fish (smoked salmon on half a mini bagel with a little cream cheese), lowfat cottage cheese...I'm not familiar with the things you like, but thought I'd throw out some ideas. Bottom line though is calories in vs. calories out...doesn't matter (for weight loss purposes) where they are coming from. Great for you for walking!!! Good luck:flowerforyou:
  • PixieDust2828
    Options
    Man I wish I had trouble eating all my calories. I have the hardest time not going over.:grumble:
  • luckycat240
    Options
    tell me about it
    i ate a pretty good amount of food
    cuz im not hungry right now!
    but i played basketball with some friends and it says i should eat 2,000 extra calories!
    my target is 1,700