Over net calories? What did you do?

Options
Hi there, thanks in advance for the support, guys, I REALLY need it today!

So last weekend AND the weekend before, my boyfriend's parents and my parents (Respectively) were in town. I don't know about last weekend, because I just didn't log the weekend, but this past weekend I did, and I was 2,867 (WITH exercise, if that's any indication of how much I ate). How much weight did I likely gain just based on this week over goal? I don't weigh myself to begin with, so even if I did weigh, I wouldn't know if I gained or not. I know, I know... I'm not going to start weighing myself though, it sabotages my efforts and makes me crazy. I definitely gained because clothes that were loose last week are all of a sudden tight this week.

Also, if you have gained weight from a bad weekend, etc. how long did it take you to lose it? Did you?

Also, my mom made the nice comment that I inherited her, "fat and cellulite-y thighs." I was feeling all okay about my thighs since I workout and run, now I feel all conscious and upset. Thanks, Ma!

any advice or support? I am feeling down on myself today.

Replies

• brand1m
    brand1m Posts: 4
    Options
    I'm sure someone will chime in that has more knowledge than I do but I always look at the math.

Theoretically, to gain 1 lb, you have to consume 3,500 calories more than you burn (water weight excluded - real lbs. here).

So if your daily burn is 2,000, you would have to consume 5,500 that day to be a true 1 lb heavier - again, according to the math.

My scale was up 5 lbs from last week thanks to a crazy weekend. My maintenance burn is around 2,400 calories so that means for three days I would've had to eat 7,200 (daily burn) plus 17,500 extra calories for that to be a true weight gain and not at least partially water. I didn't eat nearly 25,000 calories in three days, so I chalk the clothing changes up to maybe some weight gain but fluid retention mostly.

Again, there may be someone that will shoot holes all through my thinking, but that's how I interpret mine. I think the biggest thing is to just pick back up and continue on with your program and don't let a weekend turn into a week/month/year.
  • aviduser
    aviduser Posts: 208 Member
    Options
    My advice: weigh yourself regularly. I weigh daily and look at the trends (steady, down, up). Adjust accordingly for your plan (I am now in a small losing phase after being in a maintenance phase once I hit my goal). This is important because you cannot ignore the number staring up at you.

Second, the weekend is gone. Forget about it. Move on and focus on today. Tomorrow, focus on tomorrow. One day at a time. Get on track and stay on track. One or two bad days will not destroy your long term progress.

Third, next time you have the 'rents in town, focus on making the healthy choices. Work out on days you will be eating a big meal. Consider having a larger breakfast and skipping lunch. At the restaurant, make healthy choices--grilled fish instead of fried, sauce on the side. Vegetables, not french fries. Salad dressing on the side. You get the idea. Have a glass or two of wine, but don't have much more--too many calories! Oh, and feel free to have dessert, but try for the lighter dessert (fresh fruit, or whatever). LOG EVERYTHING!!!!

The next day, work out again. Be sure to stick to your limits.

Good luck. You can do this.
  • jpe71
    jpe71 Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    Agree with the others, there's little chance you ate enough to put on huge amounts of weight, every chance you gained water weight more than fat. Forgive yourself and figure out how you are going to do better next time. We all have lapses. If you dwell on it, you'll stress yourself out and may do something nonproductive to feel better. If you think about it just enough to decide what went wrong and what you're going to do next time, it becomes a positive experience.
  • brand1m
    brand1m Posts: 4
    Options
    My lesson learned from the weekend was to take stuff to make shakes with me to the lake house next time. I snacked on stuff that I normally wouldn't eat. If I have my stuff with me next time, I will go to that.
  • Seanb_us
    Seanb_us Posts: 322 Member
    Options
    I had a horrible weekend. Was out most of it, so not home to eat out of the cupboard. Soooo ... go forward today knowing I have to work harder at achieving my goal. The weekend cannot be taken back, so know what your goals are and double-down this week. Do not give up!

Cheers,

Sean
  • LetsDoThis103
    Options
    Thanks, everyone! I really needed the support yesterday! Sorry for the whining :)