How to stop snacking!

Options
Hi guys! I am new here and I have to eat a 1200 calorie diet to get to my goal weight. With all of my meals being under 400 calories, I can still only eat a couple snacks a day. My problem is that I can eat 1000 calories worth of snacks! I can eat fruit one hour and a 100 calorie pack the next hour and a yogurt the next hour and so on and so on. How do I stop myself from wanting to snack??? Suggestions please?

Replies

• fatzombiegirl
    Options
    Eat a snack that is high in fiber and protein as both of those macronutrients make you feel full longer. If you have a carb, always have a protein with it.

Example: Whole grain crackers with almonds.

0 fat greek yogurt with walnuts or flax seed mixed in.
  • shiseido_faerie
    shiseido_faerie Posts: 771 Member
    Options
    Agree with the higher protein/fiber
    Also, drink a glass of water and wait a few minutes before you snack, sometimes you're thirst....or sometimes you're even just bored! (I am currently wanting to snack but it's because work is very quiet today and i'm bored, i'm not hungry)
  • Rheaethan
    Rheaethan Posts: 16
    Options
    I eat fiber one bars on my off days because they make me fart. But when I'm working, like today, I don't want to fart around my co-workers and stink up the place. LoL

What about chocolate cravings?
  • fatzombiegirl
    Options
    The Fiber One brownies don't have the gassy effect that the bars do. And they taste good.
  • maryw222
    maryw222 Posts: 1
    Options
    I am also a snacker, but find that I need to eat to keep my stomach acids down. I have found that for myself, I must eat between 6-8 times a day, but keep the intake on calories down (especially fat and sugar calories). It has been a chore finding out what works best for me, so I can loose this extra weight. I love my 15 min. work-outs and need to do them a couple of times a day also to keep at that 1200 calorie balance. Hope you find what works best for you so you can loose and tone up :)
  • gamehen2
    gamehen2 Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    I've found that limiting my carb/sugar intake to just one meal a day really helps me control my cravings. It evens out my insulin response to keep the focus on protein and veggies most of the day. Keep the meals relatively small and you can feed yourself every couple hours and never go hungry. In fact, I have to force myself to eat sometimes because I'm not "feeling it", but keeping on a meal schedule really helps too.

The first 3 days were tough, but I now that I'm in the rhythm it's working great for me and I have tons of energy.
  • ladyfingers39
    Options
    I have found that a 1/4 cup of peanuts really fills me up. That and tuna. Good luck!
  • Brandicaloriecountess
    Brandicaloriecountess Posts: 2,126 Member
    Options
    I didn't stop snacking, I don't think I could have lost my weight without it :)
  • boggsmeister
    boggsmeister Posts: 292 Member
    Options
    Why are you eating 1200 calories? What is your weekly weight loss set to?
  • SwindonJogger
    SwindonJogger Posts: 325 Member
    Options
    Try snacking on chocolate with a very high cocoa percentage (85-90% ) or very strong cheddar. The flavour will satisfy your craving but be too strong to over indulge in.
  • cbeutler
    cbeutler Posts: 667 Member
    Options
    I couldn't control the snacking, so I had to stop cold turkey. I only eat three or four meals a day, no snacks. I know there is nothing wrong with snacking in and of itself but if you can't control it cut it off.

I do drink coffee, gum and hot water sometimes between meals or have a nite-cap but that doesn't trigger a binge for me.

Also pop and candy set me off on a snacking binge, I had to cut them completely out of my diet.

Play around with different things and figure out what works for you.

Ml,

Craig
  • SKHaz1
    SKHaz1 Posts: 145 Member
    Options
    I switch up my water by drinking flavored water. So it feels like a treat. I get the 0 calorie propel individual drink mix. So good, AND you're getting your water in.

If not I snack on walnuts and dried cranberries.
  • Rheaethan
    Rheaethan Posts: 16
    Options
    Thank you all for your comments!

Boggsmeister, I'm eating 1200 calories per day because that would have me lose 1 pound per week. I am 4'11" and currently weigh 156. I need to weigh 123 to not be considered overweight for my height. Oh and I'm 27 years old.
  • wells0707
    wells0707 Posts: 251 Member
    Options
    Maybe you could make your breakfast or lunch snack size..that would allow you to snack closer together throughout the day.
  • wells0707
    wells0707 Posts: 251 Member
    Options
    Also...do you work out? If you do then you have more than 1200 calories a day to play with. If you don't already try adding in a daily workout to add more calories that you can use for snacks if you want them.
  • Evette7
    Evette7 Posts: 156 Member
    Options
    Any chance it's thirst? I've read that the body will sense hunger before dehydration even though the dehydration is the issue.
  • marycmeadows
    marycmeadows Posts: 1,691 Member
    Options
    eat more filling meals -- I find that high fiber high protein meals keep me full for a long time. i.e. for breakfast today, I had sauteed cauliflower and a protein shake with black beans, white kidney beans (sounds weird but you can't taste them), protein, canned pumpkin, coco powder, instant coffee, ice, almond/coconut milk blend.... 302 calories, 4g fat, 34g carbs, 12g fiber, 39g protein.

I see you saying you eat 100 calorie packs and fiber bars. these are mostly sugar, so not great options. It's not as simple as calories in vs. calories out. It's also about how you feed your body, and those type of things (although ok once in a while) are not great choices.....
  • Dnsnyder
    Dnsnyder Posts: 263 Member
    Options
    Fresh veggies are lower in calories and fill me up (high in fiber). Try raw broccoli, baby carrots, celery sticks, etc. =)
  • jetabear10
    jetabear10 Posts: 375 Member
    Options
    Regarding the eating fiber one bars on days off...I never worry about gas at work...I just let it go and my coworkers can fend for themselves ;)
  • CMB1979
    CMB1979 Posts: 588 Member
    Options
    I don't like to think the whole "snack vs meal" thing. I think it's the wrong association.

I recently relabeled my diary because I was so hung-up on my snack being bigger than a meal and vice-verse. I relabeled my diary as 1st meal, 2nd meal .... 6th meal. If a early meal is higher in calories or fat or whatever...I'd have to adjust the later meals to compensate.

I think I tend to eat healthier if I think...ok... this is meal 3 time, if I have a high sugar Starbucks Caramel Macchiatto, that's it for then next 2-3 hours and my next meal will have to be mostly protein.

I'm still experimenting to see what works best for me..but this is the general direction in which I'm going.