Homemade salsa?

Options
Wishful
Wishful Posts: 618 Member
Does anyone have a great quick salsa recipe? It's an easy way for me to sneak in vegetables for the men in the family. I'm looking for something chunky.

Replies

• bbear
    bbear Posts: 96 Member
    Options
    My favorite is 3 jalapenos (remove seeds and stems), 1 white or yellow onion, 2-3 cloves fresh garlic, and a good handful of cilantro. Throw it all in a blender with either fresh tomatoes or a large can of whole tomatoes. Blend it the way you like it, chunky or not. Season it with a little salt and pepper to taste. Hope that helps.
  • ma9321
    ma9321 Posts: 227 Member
    Options
    My favorite is 3 jalapenos (remove seeds and stems), 1 white or yellow onion, 2-3 cloves fresh garlic, and a good handful of cilantro. Throw it all in a blender with either fresh tomatoes or a large can of whole tomatoes. Blend it the way you like it, chunky or not. Season it with a little salt and pepper to taste. Hope that helps.

Pretty much what I use... but I like fresh tomatoes boiled with the jalapenos first. If you don't like onion.. leave it out. It's still delicious. The garlic gives it a lot of flavor along with the cilantro.
  • rockchic9382
    Options
    OMG...my fiancee makes THE best homemade salsa!!! Seriously every time we go to a social gathering our friends always force him to bring it. I'm pretty sure the recipe is:
    2 cans mexican style diced tomatoes
    4 tomatoes, diced
    1 med-lg red onion, diced
    6-8 serrano peppers depending on how spicy you want it, plus you can add more or less seeds)
    cilantro, finely choppped
    2-3 limes
    1-2 package(s) concord foods salsa seasoning (usually found near the produce)
    2 cloves of garlic (minced)

put the 2 cans of diced tomatoes and garlic in a pot and simmer while chopping other vegetables. Chop all vegetables and blend in a bowl. Take some of the vegetable mixture and the canned tomato mixture and blend in a blender. Add this mixture to the rest of the vegetables. Add the salsa seasoning and mix all together. cut up limes and add the juice to your salsa and voila!!! You have some VERY yummy salsa. If you don't like it warm obvioulsy refrigerate for a bit. Enjoy!!
  • smagnan
    smagnan Posts: 53 Member
    Options
    can of diced tomatoes
    sugar
    diced green and red pepper
    garlic
    onion
    fresh chopped cilantro
    white, black, red pepper
    hot sauce
    jalepenos

my sister in law has been know to add in sauteed carrots and celery also

love it during hot summer days and it sneaks in some nutrients....:laugh:
  • Xannthippe
    Xannthippe Posts: 126 Member
    Options
    4-5 Roma tomatoes
    1/2 yellow onion
    2 cloves garlic
    2 jalapenos
    1/2 avocado
    small handful cilantro
    1tbsp oregano
    salt and pepper to taste

It's my favorite and I love it, make a batch each week for tasty toppings.
  • vanessa915
    vanessa915 Posts: 68 Member
    Options
    Just bumping this to keep it on my page...

Vanessa
  • msarro
    msarro Posts: 2,748 Member
    Options
    Just curious if anyone knows -
    Because its highly acidic, there aren't any special preparations needed to can this salsa, right?

I'd like to make a great big batch and can it.
  • Wishful
    Wishful Posts: 618 Member
    Options
    These all look yummy! How long are they safe to keep in the refrigerator?
  • Xannthippe
    Xannthippe Posts: 126 Member
    Options
    Mines usually gone pretty quick, but as a rule we usually won't keep it longer than a week. :)
  • rockchic9382
    Options
    Same here about a week.
  • ametis
    ametis Posts: 15
    Options
    ohhh that's lokk good. I can't wait to try it :)
  • chrissyh
    chrissyh Posts: 8,235 Member
    Options
    One of my best friends gave me this recipe and we use it all the time - we LOVE it! My kids make it too - we never buy salsa.

1 can Rotel
    1 can petite diced tomatoes drained
    garlic salt 1/2 tsp
    cumin 1/2 tsp
    sugar 1/4 tsp
    onion 1 Tbs
    jalapeno (I use pre-jarred diced) 1tsp
    cilantro - handful
    zest of lime ( I Never add this)

mix all ingredients. You can use the blender on the tomatoes so that it's not so chunky, my chunks are from the onion and Jalepenos...I usually double the onions

ENJOY!
  • moujie
    moujie Posts: 229
    Options
    I've been told my salsa is awesome (and hey, who am I to argue :wink: ). there's really no recipe but I generally have the same ingredients - great thing about salsa is that you can make it more or less complicated depending on what you have at hand or what's in season:

4 tomatoes (seeded & chopped)
    1 can nibblets corn
    1 can black beans (rinsed and drained)
    cilantro - fresh chopped
    few tablespoons of tomato paste
    small can of tomato sauce
    about 2 teaspoons of a good flavored vinegar
    diced jalapenos

we make our own chips by cutting up whole wheat tortillas and baking them in the oven!
  • chrissyh
    chrissyh Posts: 8,235 Member
    Options
    One of my best friends gave me this recipe and we use it all the time - we LOVE it! My kids make it too - we never buy salsa.

1 can Rotel
    1 can petite diced tomatoes drained
    garlic salt 1/2 tsp
    cumin 1/2 tsp
    sugar 1/4 tsp
    onion 1 Tbs
    jalapeno (I use pre-jarred diced) 1tsp
    cilantro - handful
    zest of lime ( I Never add this)

mix all ingredients. You can use the blender on the tomatoes so that it's not so chunky, my chunks are from the onion and Jalepenos...I usually double the onions

ENJOY!

I am eating this right now....yummmmmm