New to the Boards and ALWAYS hungry

2»

Replies

• I always feel really hungry towards the night time-ish...idk why. I try to keep my mind off food by doing some cleaning (aka my bedroom is ALWAYS a mess since my 2yr old daughter's bed is in the same room & is super messy) but i still always keep thinking about food or that i'm hungry. I even try drinking lots of water to get my self feeling 'full' but no luck. :/
  • jcomley1
    jcomley1 Posts: 133
    Why dont you try adding more protein to your diet. Instead of just having a salad, add in half a can of Chick Pea's. Low in fat, high in protein, good for energy, they are GREAT fillers. Try and eat food like Oats which are full of fibre and will keep you full for the entire morning. I am highly active and always on the go, and by eating food such as this, i struggle to hit my 1200 calorie intake for the day because they do such a good job of keeping me full.
    Good luck!
  • SuffolkSally
    SuffolkSally Posts: 964 Member
    Seconding an earlier point - calculate your BMR and TDEE. MFP sets 1200 as a default - I struggled to until I realised that actually I need to be eating 1700! Which is comfortable. And do log your exercise and eat back about 50% of those calories (if MFP was accurate you'd eat all of them, but it overestimates calorie burn for some reason).
  • MoooveOverFluffy
    MoooveOverFluffy Posts: 398 Member
    From my personal opinion I think you should be upping your cals! Find out your BMR & TDEE and make sure you're netting at or above your BMR x

^^^THIS. i know it sounds counterproductive, but please, please, please search the forums for topics like "success with eating higher calories" and " BMR/ TDEE"................

here's a link that may explain things a little better....

http://www.shapefit.com/basal-metabolic-rate.html

GOOD LUCK!
  • ChitownFoodie
    ChitownFoodie Posts: 1,562 Member
    You're diary is private so I can't see what types of foods you are eating, but I find eating a whole grain English muffin when I am hungry will curb that for hours. Also, you are allowed to eat your exercise calories back.
    Not to sound negative, but you might be setting yourself up to fail by committing to 1,200 a day. I eat roughly 2,100 calories a day and maintain and I am only 4'11" and weigh in at about 101 pounds. I was losing weight when I would be about 1,500 a day.
  • jr1985
    jr1985 Posts: 1,033 Member
    Flax seed... loaded with fiber I started adding it to my foods about a week ago and notice I'm quite a bit fuller for longer than before I added it to my food... 1TBS of ground flax seed dietary supplement only has 70 calories... You can't really taste it, it just adds texture... try mixing it in with your food once or twice a day
  • MoooveOverFluffy
    MoooveOverFluffy Posts: 398 Member
    oh, and eggs, greek yogurt, almonds, and fish (sardines, tuna) keep me feeling full the longest.........
  • cfriend71
    cfriend71 Posts: 207 Member
    Protein is definitely more satisfying so if you can add a little more protein you might find that you're not as hungry. Good luck!
  • cfriend71
    cfriend71 Posts: 207 Member
    If you don't love greek yogurt, try adding truvia or splenda to it, and maybe some fresh strawberries. The sweetener takes the bitterness/sour taste away. I have done this with the plain since there isn't much flavor, but I like it because it's the lowest in sugar.
  • myfitnessnmhoy
    myfitnessnmhoy Posts: 2,105 Member
    I always feel really hungry towards the night time-ish...idk why. I try to keep my mind off food by doing some cleaning (aka my bedroom is ALWAYS a mess since my 2yr old daughter's bed is in the same room & is super messy) but i still always keep thinking about food or that i'm hungry. I even try drinking lots of water to get my self feeling 'full' but no luck. :/

If you're hungry at night, you aren't eating a protein or fat late enough in the day. Save a couple hundred calories during the day and have a slice of cheese or glass of milk something as an evening snack.