A little help please about upping calories

Options
This topic has probably been posted over a hundred times.

Maybe I'm a dummy..lol..IDK..the first 19 lbs I lost while on 1240 cals. and excercise.

I have just upped my calories once again to 1720 from 1540. Can anyone just help me out and let me know what to expect from upping the cals? I do excercise 5-7 days a week for over an hr at times. My TDEE is 2496 and my BMR is 1516. I know I have to stay over my BMR and under my TDEE. Soooo confused and weight fluctuating up and down the same few lbs.

Thanks u in advance.

Replies

• olong
    olong Posts: 255 Member
    Options
    Bump I'm interested in what others have to say, too. I've not bumped up my calories at a 200K jump and would like to know others' opinions on how much, when, etc.
  • auroranflash
    auroranflash Posts: 3,569 Member
    Options
    You're probably going to fluctuate some until your body gets used to it. You are right about not eating below your BMR. I am in support of you upping your calories, make sure you're eating exercise calories also.

Don't freak out if you gain a few pounds after increasing your calories, give it about 4 to 6 weeks and see if it levels off, you might get over your plateau that way...
  • Jenjaz1910
    Jenjaz1910 Posts: 447 Member
    Options
    You need to make sure you NET at or above you BMR!! Give your body a few weeks to get used to the higher cals but I upped mine 4 weeks ago and I stated the same weight for over 2 weeks but I e now lost 2.3lbs plus 10.5 inches! If you find it hard to eat all the new cals just try upping them 100 cals per week! Good luck x
  • Sarauk2sf
    Sarauk2sf Posts: 28,072 Member
    Options
    You may have a slight temporary increase in weight (although quite a few find a quick drop) - you need to give it at least 4 weeks for your body to adapt. One thing to remember - 1 lb of fat = 3500 calories, and unless you have been on a VLCD for a long time and your metabolism if screwed up, it will be impossible to gain weight at 1720 - this is 796 below your FDEE.

It looks as though you are very near your goal - you should only be looking to lose about 0.5lb a week at this stage - so you may want to look into upping them even more soon.
  • UponThisRock
    UponThisRock Posts: 4,522 Member
    Options
    If you're holding any water, you could release due to lowered cortisol. Or, you could retain a bit of water due to increased carbohydrate intake.

Whatever happens in the first week, ignore it.
  • babygurl48
    babygurl48 Posts: 1,236 Member
    Options
    It looks as though you are very near your goal - you should only be looking to lose about 0.5lb a week at this stage - so you may want to look into upping them even more soon.
    that's a mini goal.. my main goal is 155
  • peaceinside
    peaceinside Posts: 272
    Options
    After a LOT of perousing and "researching" this is what I have found to be the best. First figure out what your manintenance calories will be at your goal weight. Then reduce by 200 and set that as your daily calorie goal and don't eat back your exersice calories. You may loose more slowly than what you are used to but that is better in the long run and it's quite simple. And for me the bonus is that if I go over it's normally around 200 calories which just brings up to maintenance level. Good luck in what ever path you choose.
    Peace! :flowerforyou:
  • Sarauk2sf
    Sarauk2sf Posts: 28,072 Member
    Options

How much more do you have to lose to get to your main goal?
  • babygurl48
    babygurl48 Posts: 1,236 Member
    Options

How much more do you have to lose to get to your main goal?