Lost a pound today in under an hour.....

Options
tyrtill
tyrtill Posts: 31 Member
.... by donating blood. I'm curious how much of a blood donation isn't "water weight". I know the donation as a whole is somewhere in the neighborhood of 1.2-1.5 lbs with all the vials and the extra small bag of blood.

Does anyone donate blood for this added benefit?

Replies

• Hannalore13
    Hannalore13 Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    Nah, I just like to donate blood :) I think only about 20% of the blood isn't "water weight," or possibly even less, but It doesn't really count as weight loss because our body will build right back up to the blood we need.

I'm at college, and a lot of students donate blood and then drink later so they don't have to consume as much alcohol before feeling the affects haha.
  • tyrtill
    Options
    Well that 20% has to come from somewhere if you're below maintenance calories.

I found this info:

Your blood is approximately 44% red blood cells, 1% white blood cells and the remaining 55% is composed of plasma.

Plasma contains about 90% water, dissolved proteins, glucose, clotting utilities, mineral ions, hormones and carbon dioxide.

And I found the blood cells are about 36% stuff and the rest is water.

So 20% isn't that bad of an estimate of "dry mass" in blood
  • ElizabethRoad
    ElizabethRoad Posts: 5,138 Member
    Options
    Yeah, that works out to be a little over a pound a year. Great diet plan.
  • GasMasterFlash
    GasMasterFlash Posts: 2,206 Member
    Options
    I regularly drop a pound or two first thing every morning. I can usually gauge how much based on the number of flushes it takes to get it down.
  • _GlaDOS_
    _GlaDOS_ Posts: 1,520 Member
    Options
    I regularly drop a pound or two first thing every morning. I can usually gauge how much based on the number of flushes it takes to get it down.

I do the same. But I step on the scale before and after, for better accuracy.
  • tyrtill
    Options
    Lol I guess that is something that should be pointed out. (The 1 lb a year thing not the toilet loss)

I always find it amazing that I lose 3lbs between going to bed and waking up in the morning. Kind of inspires me to wash my bed more often.
  • infamousmk
    infamousmk Posts: 6,033 Member
    Options
    Don't you 'gain' this pound back as your body replenishes it's blood?
  • Qarol
    Qarol Posts: 6,171 Member
    Options
    Don't you 'gain' this pound back as your body replenishes its blood?
    Seriously, this.
  • WarriorMom2012
    WarriorMom2012 Posts: 621 Member
    Options
    So if you donate every day for a month, you'll lose 30 lbs. I think that's an excellent idea. You should try that! :flowerforyou:
  • GasMasterFlash
    Options
    You could also deposit onto the scale. it gets messy though. Also, I was spending too much on Saran-Wrap to cover the scale.
  • tyrtill
    Options
    Well 80% you'd get back once you're re-hydrated (a day or 2) but the other 20% is going to either have to be replenished by food or taken from stores in your body so I would consider that real weight loss.
  • Sp1nGoddess
    Sp1nGoddess Posts: 1,138 Member
    Options
    You could also deposit onto the scale. it gets messy though. Also, I was spending too much on Saran-Wrap to cover the scale.

Well, now your just getting anal......
  • GasMasterFlash
    Options
    Guilty as charged!

I wrap it all up in aluminum foil, carefully folding the edges before throwing into the trash. :blushing:
  • LorinaLynn
    LorinaLynn Posts: 13,247 Member
    Options
    Unless you have insane amounts of cholesterol, it's not like you're losing any fat by donating blood. Losing weight is easy. A good stomach flu can set you back ten pounds overnight. Losing fat? Not so much.
  • rml_16
    rml_16 Posts: 16,414 Member
    Options
    Yeah, that works out to be a little over a pound a year. Great diet plan.

And it certainly won't come back on as your body recovers from the loss.
  • mandasimba
    mandasimba Posts: 782 Member
    Options
    Guilty as charged!

I wrap it all up in aluminum foil, carefully folding the edges before throwing into the trash. :blushing:

Like a doggy bag swan?

Just use a different scale for your stool and food, problem solved.
  • hiker282
    hiker282 Posts: 983 Member
    Options
    I lose at least a pound every morning by 'taking care of business'.
  • BondBomb
    BondBomb Posts: 1,781 Member
    Options
    This is why I exculsively date vampires.
  • CoryIda
    CoryIda Posts: 7,887 Member
    Options
    I lost 5 pounds once after a particularly impressive bathroom break.
  • rml_16
    rml_16 Posts: 16,414 Member
    Options
    I once lost about 25 pounds in just 6 hours. I'm probably not the only one.