Tell me more about Shiritaki noodles!

Options
fitJoce
fitJoce Posts: 137 Member
I had head about them and finally bought a package today. I'm looking forward to trying them but have heard that there are better ways to prepare it than others. Not really looking for recipes here but if you have one that is a must try, feel free to post it. Otherwise I am mostly curious about the best way to prep them so that they have the best texture and taste.

Replies

• Ready2Rock206
    Ready2Rock206 Posts: 9,488 Member
    Options
    I've never tried them because they sound disgusting, but I've heard you need to rinse them very well so they don't have a fishy taste/smell and then just use like regular noodles.
  • katiedidd66
    Options
    I'm dying to try them, but I haven't been able to find them anywhere :(
  • _HeyMommy_
    _HeyMommy_ Posts: 323 Member
    Options
    I have a bag in my fridge right now.. havent tried them yet, but was told to rinse ALOT.
  • fitJoce
    Options
    I'm going to make them for lunch today. I'll report back.
  • slimmergalpal
    slimmergalpal Posts: 235 Member
    Options
    Hungry Girl is where I get my recipes for using them. It will take a few times to get use to the texture, but it is filling like a pasta- and you can eat a lot. Just remember that when you rinse them, you have to pat them dry. Then i microwave mine for a min. Then dry them again. Liquid left on them makes for a runny sauce and a slimmy feeling. Have Fun =)
  • aost
    aost Posts: 44
    Options
    i love them..
    YES they have a fishy smell when u open them but it dosnt bother me.. just follow the guide on the pack..
    love them with thai green curry or anything with tomato (i use the "rice" ones instead of pasta in bolognese sauce)
  • bonjolie1971
    Options
    I love them! They're pretty versatile. I always rinse them first, and then follow the directions. I've made a stir-fry with them, and it was pretty yummy.
  • tananichelle
    tananichelle Posts: 103 Member
    Options
    I've never tried them because they sound disgusting, but I've heard you need to rinse them very well so they don't have a fishy taste/smell and then just use like regular noodles.

Not fishy... More like amonia. It's from the natural fermentation process when they're made. But I LOVE them! Crazy low calorie... Good with stir fry, Italian sauces, by themselves... Mmmmm!

Just make sure you rinse them a few times, and don't over cook them (they get mushy), and you'll love them.
  • jamiesadler
    jamiesadler Posts: 634 Member
    Options
    They are really a great sub for pasta or rice. I always got mine form miraclenoodle.com They dont really have any taste they will taste like whatever you cook them in.
  • bmorton82
    bmorton82 Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    Seriously, my new favorite food find!! The fishy smell is a little odd but once you microwave them for a min or two, it seems to go away. I've only done veggie stir fry dishes with them but I could definitely see the spaghetti with a red sauce and some low fat turkey meatballs. YUM!
  • aries7298
    aries7298 Posts: 225 Member
    Options
    if you have a Whole Foods around you, that's you're best bet.... I haven't found them any place else. you could order them off the website too, but it gives me a reason to make the trip to our "local" whole foods. LOL!
  • PeaceCorpsKat
    PeaceCorpsKat Posts: 335 Member
    Options
    I love the Tofu ones... had them with Brocoli and Baked Tofu last night.... Yum :)
  • TexanThom
    TexanThom Posts: 778
    Options
    I like them. Don't get turned off by the smell when you open them, think bad fish. Like someone else said, RINSE, RINSE and RINSE.

Also, you might try spaghetti squash.....reallly good.
  • JaceyMarieS
    JaceyMarieS Posts: 692 Member
    Options
    I'm dying to try them, but I haven't been able to find them anywhere :(

I can find the tofu version, but i'm allergic to soy. I can buy a case of non-soy from miraclenoodle.com, but don't want that many until I'm sure I'll like them because i am positive that the rest of the family will refuse to touch them.
  • cassmonster
    cassmonster Posts: 58 Member
    Options
    I have had them twice.....they were good, I could not make a steady diet of them...rinse, rinse, rinse. A good recipe is the Hungry girl beef stroginoff (spelling)....but it is good!!!!
  • Meatsies
    Meatsies Posts: 351 Member
    Options
    They're best served up the way Chelle (an MFP member) does:

Rinse, rinse, rinse.
    Then throw 'em in a hot skillet. No oil or sprays needed; they won't stick.
    Then just flip 'em around in the pan a lot.
    I tried them microwaved and HATED them. Loved them cooked in the pan. I added a TON of bean sprouts & some spices & sriracha sauce.
  • lshaw12302
    Options
    They are great.....you do need to rinse them...I have put them in soup which is wonderful....makes a great filler and no calories! I have only tried the thin spaghetti kind . I have not used them as spaghetti which is the obvious use but will.....don't let them scare you.....go to Hungry Girl and check out the possibilities and also skinnydipnoodles.com
  • pmdhardy
    pmdhardy Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    I love them.. Just started eating them a while ago . Being from Newfoundland..lol. the fish smell does not bother me.. it goes away if you rinse them good and then in the microwave for a min.. then add to a stirfry.. or some soup.. The other day I had spagetti using these noodles.. and I ate the whole bag which made me full.. The tofu spagetti is my favourite.. the fettuchini..( spelled wrong I am sure ) is a little too chewy for me.. but still good. I dont eat them everyday.. because I am sure I will get sick of them.. but a couple meals a week.. and now trying the cauliflower mashed potato.. my next adventure.. they are yummy to.. ate last night for supper and could not believe how full I was...
  • fitJoce
    Options
    OMG!! I just made them for lunch and it was AMAZING!! I rinsed them well, boiled them for about 2 minutes, drained and added them to my stir fry pan which was made up of lean ground chicken breast, french green beans, sliced mushrooms, red and green bell pepper, red curry sauce, lime juice, cilantro, and sriracha sauce. It was a huge bowl of food and came out to only 300. Low carb, high protien!

My new favorite food!!