why do people use protein powder?

I see nearly everyone on here uses protein powder. Why is this?

Replies

• ChristyU74
    ChristyU74 Posts: 234 Member
    Let's start by saying I'm definitely no expert. But your body needs protein to help with muscle recovery and to build muscle after working out. I use it right after I lift weights. I like it because it's convenient, but I suppose if you just ate something with a lot of protein that would work too.
  • acresfield
    acresfield Posts: 122 Member
    Just to change the balance of your diet in a healthy way and fill your allotted calories with good stuff that Your body needs (protein) and reduce the stuff that you need less of like fat. Proteins help with muscle recovery after a workout and make you feel fuller for longer reducing the urge to snack.

I stand to be corrected as I am not an expert but that's my take on it
  • protein helps build muscle. muscle boosts metabolism. personally, i know i have a VERY hard time getting all my protein - tofu just doesn't cut it and i'm a vegetarian/almost-vegan so i don't eat eggs unless they're in a recipe i'm mixing (the thought of what i'm eating if they're raw stops me from comsuming) and i don't eat chicken. that's why i need protein powder anyway.
  • To help me get most of my protein for the day, plus... it's chocolate flavored.
  • SirZee
    SirZee Posts: 381
    Protein gives you a good "bang" for your calorie "buck". Its critical for muscle development. Whey protein is a good way to get a lot of extra protein.
  • DopeItUp
    DopeItUp Posts: 18,771 Member
    Protein gives you a good "bang" for your calorie "buck". Its critical for muscle development. Whey protein is a good way to get a lot of extra protein.

Exactly. Good protein powders can have something like <3g carbs, <3g fat and >25g of protein. Caloric efficient way of boosting protein intake. I have a shake every morning.
  • for the days that you are on the go, after a workout, days you do not want to cook chicken or something
    high in protein. As a supplement.
  • jennifer52484
    jennifer52484 Posts: 888 Member
    I just drank 51g of vanilla whey protein and it was fantastic. I can't seem to get enough protein from foods so I supplement it with Whey powder/wheyshots/premade whey drinks.
  • xx_donna_xx
    xx_donna_xx Posts: 144
    Thanks everyone.

What do you think is the best one? Are they very expensive? I must have a wee look into this as I eat alot of eggs and chicken but could always do with a wee healthy boost
  • ck1416
    ck1416 Posts: 154 Member

^^Like^^
  • Ninatoots
    Ninatoots Posts: 192 Member
    I just love it blended with plain greek yogurt and frozen strawberries or blueberries. Sometimes I put a banana. This is with the vanilla whey protein. If I use chocolate ( it's not my favorite) I'll add some unsweetened cocoa powder, and maybe a tablespoon of peanut butter.
  • Seanb_us
    Seanb_us Posts: 322 Member
    Once in a while, after a workout at the gym, I get a shake with 25g of whey protein in it. Why? Because I'd rather get calories from protein than carbs, as much as I looovveeee carbs.

It's not perfect, but I like to think it supplements my approach of using cardio to primarily burn calories and machines/weights to build a little strength.

Cheers,

Sean
  • ChasingSweatandTears
    ChasingSweatandTears Posts: 504 Member
    GNC has a 100% egg protein powder that I LOVE. It is made from egg whites, which I also snack on when I need more lean protein. It only comes in chocolate but the flavor is divine, it's minimally processed and whey protein gives me gas :blushing:
  • MissJay75
    MissJay75 Posts: 768 Member
    I see nearly everyone on here uses protein powder. Why is this?

I know a lot of poeple do, but I don't think it's nearly everyone. I don't use protein powder, I am building muscle tone using 5lb weights in circuit training but not doing any heavy lifting.
  • hiker282
    hiker282 Posts: 983 Member
    Especially after working out (strength training, mostly), there is a short window where protein synthesis is most effective. There are certain amino acids required to build new muscle that the body can't produce by other means that are the most easily consumed from a protein powder, since it requires virtually no prep time other than throwing it in a bottle and mixing in some water.

I use Body Fortress Advanced Whey chocolate protein powder. I can't remember how much it costs, but it has a good flavor, dissolves well and has those essential amino acids needed to help repair and build my muscles after a session at the gym.
  • ChasingSweatandTears
    ChasingSweatandTears Posts: 504 Member
    Also, usually protein powder comes to about 1.00 per serving, which is much cheaper than meat! :) Just make sure if you replace any of your meals with it, that you are also taking a high quality multivitamin/mineral supplement, as pure protein is missing criticial nutrients for it to be considered a "meal".
  • thistimeismytime
    thistimeismytime Posts: 711 Member
    I use protein powder because my protein goal is around 150+gm of protein/day. While this is not impossible to achieve with food, I find it impractical for my lifestyle. I try to get most of my protein from real food, but I use protein powder as a dietary supplement. I've never achieved such fast results with training when I was younger, and the only real difference is that now I'm getting adequate protein to fuel my muscles.
  • wocko6092
    wocko6092 Posts: 69 Member
    I would recommend this website www.myprotein.com. to buy protein from
  • 05suu
    05suu Posts: 90 Member
    I'm a vegetarian so with the reduced calories find it difficult to get my quota of protein in a day..I can get 17g with one tablespoon, and if I chuck in some fruit and soy milk, and for a treat, frozen yogurt,it makes a good tasting smoothie....
  • gabbymom2
    gabbymom2 Posts: 175 Member
    I use Muscle Milk Light or Pure Protein. Women have a harder time getting enough protein. I make a smoothie/shake everyday. You can mix the powder with water or soy milk, add any berries, and/or sugar free pudding or jello (just a small amount) or stevia. I just love them for breakfast and usually get 23-40 grams depending on what I use.