Sugar levels

Options
Minifeet
Minifeet Posts: 18 Member
I've input what I was planning to have for breakfast tomorrow and have already blown my sugar target out of the water. 100g grapes with a small banana, natural yogurt and a handful of almonds.

I know fruit contains sugar, but how realistic are the sugar targets? I don't eat a lot of fruit, that's probably it for the day, and don't really eat any added sugar. Adding new potatoes and green beans to dinner has added even more sugar.

Should I worry about my sugar intake?

Replies

• finchest
    finchest Posts: 245 Member
    Options
    i posted a similar forum post last week & there were some very helpful responses! check it out:
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/561665-sugar-mfp-allowance-help

the consensus seemed to be:

- many people on the site don't acknowledge naturally occurring sugars (ie, fruit) as being sugar at all. they just mentally subtract it from the daily total.
    - unless you are diabetic, you don't have to firmly stick to MFP's sugar allowance
    - however too much sugar is never a good thing, even if the sugars are natural
  • CyberEd312
    CyberEd312 Posts: 3,536 Member
    Options
    I am a type 2 diabetic and throughout this weightloss I have never tracked sugar intake. I only track Calories, Carbs, Proteins, and Fats. I eat a well balance meal plan and stay within my caloric intake.....
  • mkbledsoe
    mkbledsoe Posts: 132
    Options
    yogurt is loaded with sugar. I gave up eating it. I sometimes get yogurt with sweeteners when I would really like some yogurt, but that isnt' good for you either.
  • debbiestine
    debbiestine Posts: 265 Member
    Options
    I've cut down my fruit intake since noticing the sugar issue, too.
    My sister is a big fruit eating vegetarian (no white sugar though) and her dr told her that her blood sugar is high. So now she has to cut back on the fruits b/c of it. She weighs maybe 120-125 at 5'1. And my cholesterol was 201 when i only weighed 128 (5'2) Now, I eat 1/2 banana in my protein shake and no more than 1 C of berries (lowest in carbs).
    The great thing about this site is that you can track everything and adjust your choice and portions so that the numbers come out the way you want them too. It's ok to go over on protein and calcium, but not sugar and carbs. At least that's what I've found. Goodluck!
  • vrycheri
    vrycheri Posts: 6
    Options
    I avoid most sugar, including fruit. Some scientist are stating that sugar is just as bad for you as salt or even tobacco. 60 Minutes just did a piece on the toxic effects of sugar a couple of weeks ago. Banana is very high is sugar, especially as it gets ripe.
  • Minifeet
    Minifeet Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    Thanks all.

The yogurt I use doesn't have added sugar, only natural sugars, so buying one with sweeteners wouldn't help and I try to avoid sweeteners anyway.

I'll continue to keep an eye on it but not freak out about it unless I have a reason to.
  • issyfit
    issyfit Posts: 1,077 Member
    Options
    yogurt is loaded with sugar. I gave up eating it. I sometimes get yogurt with sweeteners when I would really like some yogurt, but that isnt' good for you either.
    I love Carbmaster yogurt--only 3g sugar in 8 oz, and lots of good flavors.
  • mkbledsoe
    mkbledsoe Posts: 132
    Options
    i did just recently discover the carbmaster yogurt. I love the raspberry. I have found that the artificial sweetners are causing terrible gas however.
  • carlynn13
    carlynn13 Posts: 281
    Options
    I am a type 2 diabetic and throughout this weightloss I have never tracked sugar intake. I only track Calories, Carbs, Proteins, and Fats. I eat a well balance meal plan and stay within my caloric intake.....

Wow, 306 lbs lost...That is absolutely amazing!!