Calories - how many is too few

Luludog1
Luludog1 Posts: 119
edited September 19 in Health and Weight Loss
I have been on a straight 1200 calorie diet for the last 7 months and I exercise every day. I have not been eating my burned calories....is this bad?

I have noticed lately by other MFP members that they are eating all or at least half their burned calories.

I have also hit a plateau lately and have not lost any weight for a couple weeks…just maintaining…

I thought the lack of weight loss was my exercise plan but now I am thinking maybe I am eating too few calories…any thoughts?

Replies

• lotusfromthemud
    lotusfromthemud Posts: 5,335 Member
    I have been on a straight 1200 calorie diet for the last 7 months and I exercise every day. I have not been eating my burned calories....is this bad?

Yep. If you're working out every day, this is too little, and most likely the cause of your weight loss stalling.
  • kandyjo
    kandyjo Posts: 4,493 Member
    your body may be in "starvation mode" (:
    not loosing any weight because you aren't getting enough calories....
    I'm no expert...that is just what I have heard.
  • Luludog1
    Luludog1 Posts: 119
    Thanks for the reply...it hard to think i need to eat more to lose more
  • lindseyk
    lindseyk Posts: 8
    I just calculated my BMR to determine how much I should be eating. Whatever your total is take 15-20% off that and that should be about what you should be eating (without exercise). It seems to have helped me.. I am working out 5-6 times a week and have only seen a difference in my inches and not lbs..as soon as I increased my calories the weight started to come off. Good luck!
  • lotusfromthemud
    lotusfromthemud Posts: 5,335 Member
    I just calculated my BMR to determine how much I should be eating. Whatever your total is take 15-20% off that and that should be about what you should be eating (without exercise). It seems to have helped me.. I am working out 5-6 times a week and have only seen a difference in my inches and not lbs..as soon as I increased my calories the weight started to come off. Good luck!

No, no, no. The BMR is what you need to stay alive were you in a coma. . .the bare minimum you should take in. When you set MFP, it figures out a calorie level you would need to maintain your current weight (usually quite a bit more than your BMR, due to calorie burn from even minimal daily activity.)

Essentially, long story short, do what MFP tells you to do. It's figuring in your daily requirement to maintain your weight, subtracting calories based on the goal (Ie: one pound a week) you set, and then adjusting if you exercise.

BMR does not equal what you need to eat to maintain. :flowerforyou:
  • LeanLioness
    LeanLioness Posts: 1,091 Member
    Thanks for the reply...it hard to think i need to eat more to lose more

Think of your body like a car...............

You have to put fuel in your car to go anywhere, without it, you will run empty.......

Your body is the same way..........................
  • lindseyk
    lindseyk Posts: 8
    I have always had the unusual problem of under eating, which has slowed my metabolism. I looked into this site which helped me calculate how much I would need...otherwise your body goes into starvation mode..

To determine your total daily calorie needs, multiply your BMR by the appropriate activity factor, as follows:

1. If you are sedentary (little or no exercise) : Calorie-Calculation = BMR x 1.2
    2. If you are lightly active (light exercise/sports 1-3 days/week) : Calorie-Calculation = BMR x 1.375
    3. If you are moderatetely active (moderate exercise/sports 3-5 days/week) : Calorie-Calculation = BMR x 1.55
    4. If you are very active (hard exercise/sports 6-7 days a week) : Calorie-Calculation = BMR x 1.725
    5. If you are extra active (very hard exercise/sports & physical job or 2x training) : Calorie-Calculation = BMR x 1.9

I started at 1200 calories, which for me was too low. After I calculated everything..I noticed that I was under eating..I am no expert..but this has been my experience. My energy level has increased and weight has started to come off. Hope this helps!
This discussion has been closed.