Running on consecutive days

Options
I'm doing weights 3 times a week and stepping up cardio too. Would it be ok to do running on consecutive days? I'm doing 30 minutes running at 6mph on the treadmill.

Replies

• muddyventures
    muddyventures Posts: 360 Member
    Options
    I'm no expert, but that seems fine. I know I run 6 days a week and recently increased my mileage and tried to decrease my time, which has left me with the beginnings of shin splints. I'd say listen to your body.
  • pdworkman
    pdworkman Posts: 1,342 Member
    Options
    How long have you been running? People tend to overestimate and increase their mileage too quickly.

I run M-W-F-S, so I do run two consecutive days, but the rest of the time have a rest/cross-train day in between.
  • LorinaLynn
    LorinaLynn Posts: 13,247 Member
    Options
    Since my stress fracture, I try not to run on back to back days, unless it's under 2 miles.
  • BaseToThePlace
    Options
    I just got back into running in the past month or 2. I am really struggling to lose weight and need to step things up
  • muddyventures
    Options
    I've been running alot and like I mentioned in the above post, I think I'm working on some shin splints. I didn't run today and I only was able to run 2 painful miles yesterday. The rest of the post above seem to really have good advice. I started increasing because I was trying to step things up to, but now I'm wondering how long I'll be slowing it down.
  • keenslk
    keenslk Posts: 126
    Options
    I got a stress fracture in my shin from running 30-45 mins 6 days a week (some days would do 60mins plus) - it was too much too soon for me - at the mo I run every second day and am injury free... and still just as fit - hoping to run a half marathon in two months. listen to your body but running is hard on your joints... trust me your dont want shin splints which could eventually become a stress fracture - like what hap to me :cry:
  • muddyventures
    Options
    I got a stress fracture in my shin from running 30-45 mins 6 days a week (some days would do 60mins plus) - it was too much too soon for me - at the mo I run every second day and am injury free... and still just as fit - hoping to run a half marathon in two months. listen to your body but running is hard on your joints... trust me your dont want shin splints which could eventually become a stress fracture - like what hap to me :cry:

Good Advice, I'm sitting here this morning wondering if I can even run today ( a bit tearfully I might add). :(
  • tenunderfour
    tenunderfour Posts: 429 Member
    Options
    When I first started running it bothered me to run consecutive days. Now i can do it, but I try not to. If I have to.... it's only one back to back per week. And I keep my high intensity and long runs separated by a day. Does that make sense?
  • sarafil
    sarafil Posts: 506 Member
    Options
    I probably would not run consecutive days, especially if you are also weight training, and just getting back in to running.
  • kace406
    kace406 Posts: 80 Member
    Options
    How long have you been running? People tend to overestimate and increase their mileage too quickly.

I run M-W-F-S, so I do run two consecutive days, but the rest of the time have a rest/cross-train day in between.

I'm certainly no expert, but I've been getting into running and read nearly everything I could find about training properly and most of the training regimens and articles recommended something like this. IF you are running 4 times a week, one back to back is fine, but they all recommended cross training other cardio in between to rest the running muscles. I've been swimming to rest my joints and biking once or twice a week. No injuries thus far.
  • rgrange
    rgrange Posts: 236 Member
    Options
    During the summer I jog 6 days in a row, as well as weights 5 days a week. You should be fine if you don't overexert yourself.
  • engineman312
    engineman312 Posts: 3,450 Member
    Options
    at first, i would advise against doing it on consecutive days. cardio Tu-Th-Sa, lift M-W-F, rest sunday. plan for a loooooong run on saturday so you can have two rest days from cardio to recover.
  • deadstarsunburn
    deadstarsunburn Posts: 1,337 Member
    Options
    I got up to running 6 times a week. Never felt better.
    There were days where I wouldn't push as hard or cut the time down. I didn't have any issues.
  • whitephoenix1023
    Options
    I just started running about a month ago. I would do about 10 minutes a day, and I've been gradually doing more. Now I run about 30-60 minutes a day, approximately 5-10 miles. So start out slow, and gradually increase time/distance as you get adjusted.
  • acstansell
    acstansell Posts: 567 Member
    Options
    I run every other day - So, if I want cardio on an off day, I'll walk. Often I'll run every other day and then supplement with weights and sit-ups/push-ups/lunges.

That's my day today - I'll probably take the dog for a walk and then do a weight/strength round.
  • Colbyandsage
    Colbyandsage Posts: 751 Member
    Options
    bumping. I wanted to ask this question :smile:

thank you!
  • Aperture_Science
    Aperture_Science Posts: 840 Member
    Options
    I've had long periods of time where I ran on consecutive days tue, wed, thur, sat, sun; in fact most of the Runners World half and full mara programs follow a 5 day pattern such as this.

So yes, it is possible, even for long term. But, you need to be sensible with it: On your off days you shouldn't be going on long mountain hikes and your should be careful not to increase your total distance/total time spent running by more than 10% per week.

Many runners maintain a 5 day training regime but ensure that they concentrate on speed or distance on a given week, not both at the same time and when increasing distance cutting the other runs that week back a little.

Best wishes.
  • lporter229
    lporter229 Posts: 4,907 Member
    Options
    I just got back into running in the past month or 2. I am really struggling to lose weight and need to step things up
    [/quote

Do you belong to a gym where you can try other equipment like an eliptical? I would definitely recommend mixing it up if you can, especially if your goal is weight loss because the last thing you want to do is risk an injury. It can really set you back.
  • BrianSharpe
    BrianSharpe Posts: 9,248 Member
    Options
    I'm no expert, but that seems fine. I know I run 6 days a week and recently increased my mileage and tried to decrease my time, which has left me with the beginnings of shin splints. I'd say listen to your body.

Too much, too soon, too fast.

To the OP: there are lots of runners who run on consecutive days (I'm not one of them) if you're going to run on consecutive days make sure you're mixing up the intensity and distances. Personally I'd recommend alternating days to allow for adequate recovery and cross train on your non-running days.
  • thepetiterunner
    thepetiterunner Posts: 1,238 Member
    Options
    As you can see, it really depends on your current level of fitness and what else you're doing training wise. I'd say be smart about it, listen to your body and as a general rule, don't increase your mileage too much week to week.

Also, since you're running on the treadmill, it's a lot easier on your body than running outdoors. I imagine you wouldn't have the same issues you would if you were trying to pound concrete/pavement 6 days a week.

Take rest days when you're tired. Listen to your body. Don't push through lingering pains to prove to yourself you're a badass. Stretch before/after your runs. Ice as needed. Have fun :)