Lost 112 pounds now having food issues

Options
Hi,

I've found myself having a little issue. I've lost 112 pounds in one year and I've found myself fearful of eating. I am so afraid of putting on any of the weight that I can't allow myself to let go a bit. Even moving into maintenance is a bit daunting. Anyone have or had this issue? Is this normal? I'm seeing my doctor tomorrow for my yearly physical and my #1 concern I'm going to chat with her about is my weight. Does she feel I need to lose that last 10 I'm hoping for and I'll tell her my concerns with food and the issues I'm having. Also I want to see a sports nutrition person and really work out a food plan as I'm struggling.

I had lost a lot of weight in the past, put it back on, battled my way to take it off again and swore to myself I would keep it off this time. I think this is part of my fear mode kicking in.

fatfatfat.jpg
CindyLouisProm2012.jpg
scan0014.jpg
Cindywinterformal.jpg
006.jpg

Replies

• stevenleagle
    stevenleagle Posts: 293 Member
    Options
    Cindy, I think that the fear you have is only natural. And probably a little wise too.

At the end of the day, I too am a little worried as to what I will do once I reach "goal" weight. I too worry that I may regain weight.

However, I have to say, I still enjoy food and don't have a problem eating up when I want to - it's just that I try to limit this once or twice a week, preferably on special occasions. I did have a particularly crazy high calorie day recently (as an mfp friend, you would have noticed lol). This was quite liberating and scary for me - liberating as I realised I could still enjoy food, but scary as too how much food I could actually still eat!

If you feel that you cannot "eat" on special occasions for example, it may be worthwhile discussing this with your doc (though I personally don't believe you have an ED type problem).

At the end of the day, I cannot really offer much more as I do not know what it will feel like at maintenance or whether or not I can do this without mfp. Logging foods and exercise does become a little "OCD" at times but I guess its better than being obese.

I definitely look forward to hearing from others on their views on this topic.
  • theartichoke
    theartichoke Posts: 816 Member
    Options
    First, congratulations on your transformation! I think I'll be nervous to let go and gain weight again too. I agree that you're being properly cautious. The fact that you're writing here, going to speak with your doctor and plan on seeing a nutritionist shows a healthy concern for yourself. Moving to maintenance under the supervision of professionals is a great idea and I'm sure they can hep ease you into it at a pace that's most comfortable for you. Great job taking care of yourself!
  • debbiestine
    debbiestine Posts: 265 Member
    Options
    I've only lost 15lbs( I don't need to lose anymore) but I feel the same way. I get up in the am and jump on the scale fearful that the weight may have come back overnight-lol. I'm doing a bible study group thru this site called, made to crave. look into it- it's about how we focus too much on our worries and anxieties and we should be casting our cares on Him. We are made to crave God, not food! I'm praying for you to be able to let go of your anxieties and give it to him who is faithful and true! I noticed your hubby in uniform. Mine is 29+ in the usaf (in dubai,oman this week). he retires in November!
    And great job-you look fantastic!
  • ThePunkHippie
    Options
    I'm actually starting to feel the same way, & I've barely started losing my weight. Today I broke down & cried because I was hungry but everything seemed to have too many calories to be worth eating

Remember, you didn't gain all that weight overnight, & provided you're watching what you're eating/doing, you shouldn't have any problems keeping it off
  • Kebby83
    Kebby83 Posts: 232 Member
    Options
    It's not that "now" you are having food issues... You have had them all along, it just changed up a little. I think it is scary but you have room to experiment and fix and try to find the right way to maintain weight.
  • hml86
    hml86 Posts: 225 Member
    Options
    Wow...you look AMAZING!!!! Congrats on your weight loss!! I thinks it's normal to be fearful of eating and gain the weight back! I think that you should just try to eat and in smaller portions!! Just don't overdue it!!
  • keeponkickin
    keeponkickin Posts: 1,520 Member
    Options
    Opps, had one picture that didn't turn out the right size. I'll put it here.

CindyLouisProm2012.jpg
  • becka0983
    Options
    Congrats on the weight loss! That's incredible! I know EXACTLY how you feel... over the past 10 years I've lost about 100 pounds myself and it really is a daily struggle to keep it off and to really appreciate all the work I've already put in. I still have a fear of looking in the mirror...

Talking to your doctor is a good idea. I'm in the process of trying to let myself enjoy some things in moderation (one day a week) too. For me, I find it difficult because once I start I can't seem to stop and then the binge eating begins... but I think that's because I was sort of depriving myself for so long before that I would just lose control... so watch out for that!

Let yourself enjoy some of your favourite indulgences once a week... but keep weighing yourself once a week too, soon you'll see that it won't matter all that much to your waist. However, also keep in mind that if your working out your weight may go a little higher because you've gained muscle or are sore from a previous workout... I've had my scale show me a 5 pound difference! Go by how your clothes and you feel more than the scale.

Hope that helps a little bit! :)
  • cannonsky
    cannonsky Posts: 850 Member
    Options
    This thread is directed at people still working to lose weight... but I'm thinking you can expect the same sort of things when moving into maintenance. Knowing what to expect could help eliminate any fears. Hope this helps.

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/521728-upping-cals-what-to-expect-why-you-need-patience?error_user_id=16550266&error_username=cannonsky&hl=upping+calories+what+to+expect
  • mkbledsoe
    mkbledsoe Posts: 132
    Options
    Just keep track of your calorie intake just like you did when you were dieting except now you are keeping track of maintenance calories. That is what I plan to do. I have regained lost weight before and I don't want to do it again.
  • Angie_Fritts
    Angie_Fritts Posts: 263 Member
    Options
    First of all, let me congratulate you on all your hard work!! You look amazing and I am sure feel amazing too!

Absolutely talk to your doctor about how you are feeling. I would encourage you to continue to log your food daily and weigh yourself weekly. If you see the scale creep up a bit, then you know you need to make some adjustments. Consulting a nutritionist....great idea.

Sounds like you know what you need to do and that is great. I would encourage you to see a therapist for a bit to determine what exactly caused your weight gain in the first place. What were you feeding?

Congratulations again!!!
  • Feathil
    Feathil Posts: 163 Member
    Options
    I think we all hit this fear when we get to maintenance. I know I'm worried about it and have only stepped up my calorie goal 200 instead of the 400, as a way of easing myself back to normal calories.

When you change your calories to maintenance, you're gonna have to trust that the goals are your safety net. Don't go above the calorie count, and you'll be safe. If after a few weeks you think it's too many extra calories, you can adjust it. The calorie count is what stops you from going back to the old ways, because you know exactly what you're inputting.

As long as you keep telling yourself the daily calorie goal is the safety net, it should help you to deal with maintenance a bit, until you see that it's ok.
  • keem88
    keem88 Posts: 1,689 Member
    Options
    totally natural to be afraid to put that weight back on. you look amazing! but no need to be afraid of food my dear. just keep doing what you have been doing, and make sure you keep track of what you are eating. maybe in the past you didn't have support from mfp buddies and a way to track your progress? i know that was hard for me before i started using anything, i would just guess what i was eating and i found it harder to maintain the weight i wanted. good luck!!
  • ceebs9
    ceebs9 Posts: 511 Member
    Options
    Wow. You look amazing! So inspirational! I don't really have any advice, but wanted to tell you I have a friend who has lost a large amount of weight and has kept it off a long time now. But she says she still has the "fat girl" living inside of her and it dictates her actions more than she'd like. So now it isn't food or workouts she struggles with, but that old self. I think it makes sense. Just because you've lost the weight you're still the same you. Or at least parts of you are. I think being aware of that is the reason you'll keep the weight off this time. Talk to a doctor, yes. Maybe even some therapy to help deal with that old mentality. I just think you are awesome for taking control of your life like you have!
  • keeponkickin
    Options
    First of all, let me congratulate you on all your hard work!! You look amazing and I am sure feel amazing too!

Absolutely talk to your doctor about how you are feeling. I would encourage you to continue to log your food daily and weigh yourself weekly. If you see the scale creep up a bit, then you know you need to make some adjustments. Consulting a nutritionist....great idea.

Sounds like you know what you need to do and that is great. I would encourage you to see a therapist for a bit to determine what exactly caused your weight gain in the first place. What were you feeding?

Congratulations again!!!

Thanks. I know exactly what I was feeding, worked that out and lost all the weight. I am completely gripped by fear of gaining. I can't even allow myself one cookie here and there. I won't touch anything, even on a special occasion. Tomorrow is my birthday and am I have a piece of cake? No way. This is what needs to change. I weigh daily. I know weight fluctuates but if I see it going up any then I am dropping calories again. UGH. I'm glad I realize I need to chat with the doctor about this and see a nutritionist.
  • UrbanRunner81
    UrbanRunner81 Posts: 1,207 Member
    Options
    I felt like this when I was nearing my goal. I lost 40 lbs and was kind of scared that I would gain it back.
    But I thought to myself, I learned a lot of the things and not the same person I was 40 lbs ago. I know how much food properly fills me up instead of just stuffing myself on high fat/calorie foods. I exercise regularly, before not so much. and if I need to I can continue to count calories. I am kind of addicted to tracking. I know I could probably do fine without calorie counting but I like knowing how much I should eat each day with the amount of exercise I put in.

Congrats on your weight loss. It takes a little bit to get rid of that fear.
  • purpleipod
    purpleipod Posts: 1,147 Member
    Options
    Thanks. I know exactly what I was feeding, worked that out and lost all the weight. I am completely gripped by fear of gaining. I can't even allow myself one cookie here and there. I won't touch anything, even on a special occasion. Tomorrow is my birthday and am I have a piece of cake? No way. This is what needs to change. I weigh daily. I know weight fluctuates but if I see it going up any then I am dropping calories again. UGH. I'm glad I realize I need to chat with the doctor about this and see a nutritionist.

You are speaking about this like it's a diet. Make it a lifestyle change. Give yourself a buffer of say, 5 pounds max. If you gain over that number you will reevaluate what you are doing and get back on board. There is no reason you should let your diet control your life to this extent. How could you not be miserable?
  • amanda776
    amanda776 Posts: 50
    Options
    Congrats on your accomplishment! I actually lost 116lbs about 4 years ago, and I was in your same position. However, my was kinda the opposite (I thought I could revert to my old habits and everything would be okay). It's really hard to find that balance, and you'll overcome this. Talk to your doctor, explain how you feel and I'm sure he/she will help you put together a plan going forward.

And remember, if you conquered losing the weight, there's nothing you can't do now!!!
  • keeponkickin
    Options
    You are speaking about this like it's a diet. Make it a lifestyle change. Give yourself a buffer of say, 5 pounds max. If you gain over that number you will reevaluate what you are doing and get back on board. There is no reason you should let your diet control your life to this extent. How could you not be miserable?

I'm not thrilled about it that's why I'm talking to my doctor about it. I'm happy with the healthy eating and have no desire to go back to my old life....thus part of my fears. I would LOVE, LOVE, LOVE to have the 5 pound buffer. That is why I want to lose the last 10 pounds so I have the buffer. Right now, I'm at the top of my weight range. I wanted to go a little further in for this buffer for special occasions or if I creep up a bit and I can stay on top of it. But my weight hasn't dropped in 4 1/2 months. Another frustration.
  • auto63
    auto63 Posts: 156 Member
    Options
    Wow you look amazing....I can say I feel your fear I have lost 50+ pounds more times than I can count on 1 hand, and have managed to gain it back plus. I can say I love food and don't take much to get me going in the wrong direction. So I am hoping this time I am headed in the right direction making a life style change.