What Do You Spend On Groceries Per Week?

Options

Replies

• cyberskirt
    cyberskirt Posts: 218
    Options
    It's just me... and I swear I spend about $500 a month.. maybe more! I do buy dog food and cat food etc... but yeah, it seems like a lot.

I could spend a lot less, but since I started buying a lot more fruit and veggies my grocery bill has gone up by several hundreds of dollars.

I used to live off canned and packaged food and spend maybe 150$ a month on myself and another 100$ on pet food and supplies. Now everything is fresh and unprocessed... and it's a lot more... vegetables are really expensive.
  • HYBRIDXXX
    HYBRIDXXX Posts: 86
    Options
    $60 A WEEK FA ME & MY GIRLFRIEND
  • stewives
    stewives Posts: 2
    Options
    How are you people doing this? I can easily spend $500+ a month on just myself! Mad props to all of you ingenious ladies and gentlemen
  • whoiskat23
    whoiskat23 Posts: 103 Member
    Options
    There is four of us and I spend about 125 a week some weeks less. I am a coupon queen..yes I am one of those with the binders..I am lucky my stores do double every day and some months they do super doubles and triples. I load up stock up and for most things we are not brand loyal..unless its frosted flakes for my son..NO getting anything else past him..he is our super taster..LOL. I also hit farmers markets now that it got nice out..just got tomatoes for 49 cents a pound....woohoo..:)

Ditto for me. There are 3 of us and I am a couponer, binder and all. :laugh: I usually spend about $100 to $150 for two weeks and get about $250 of groceries depending on what is on sale, etc. Couponing has really helped me with gas at $3.90. Ugh.
  • inetgirl
    inetgirl Posts: 174 Member
    Options
    $450.00 or so a month for 2 people.

However, that does not include when we go out to eat or when we have to pick up other items. We usually run out of almond milk, cereal and sugar free sweet tea.
  • fruitful9
    fruitful9 Posts: 32
    Options
    Feeding 10 people on $650/month. We do lots of Sam's Club/Aldi's stocking of shelves, buying in bulk, making from scratch, etc.
    I don't use coupons because we don't eat those things! (ever notice that only processed foods come with coupons???) Our kids are homeschooled so they are all home 24/7....including 3 teens. Oh, and this includes toiletry/diapers/beauty items, too.
  • whoiskat23
    Options
    It's just me... and I swear I spend about $500 a month.. maybe more! I do buy dog food and cat food etc... but yeah, it seems like a lot.

I could spend a lot less, but since I started buying a lot more fruit and veggies my grocery bill has gone up by several hundreds of dollars.

I used to live off canned and packaged food and spend maybe 150$ a month on myself and another 100$ on pet food and supplies. Now everything is fresh and unprocessed... and it's a lot more... vegetables are really expensive.

Frozen veggies can supplement your fresh for next to nothing or free with coupons and store specials. They also last longer.
  • fruitful9
    fruitful9 Posts: 32
    Options
    Oh, and if you're a student, Sam's (possibly Costco) has an annual student discount to where you only pay $40/year instead of the usual $100/year.

YIKES! Our Sam's regular membership is only $40. We live in the Midwest.
  • whoiskat23
    Options
    Feeding 10 people on $650/month. We do lots of Sam's Club/Aldi's stocking of shelves, buying in bulk, making from scratch, etc.
    I don't use coupons because we don't eat those things! (ever notice that only processed foods come with coupons???) Our kids are homeschooled so they are all home 24/7....including 3 teens. Oh, and this includes toiletry/diapers/beauty items, too.

There are coupons for many, many healthy items. It takes a little effort, but you'd really be surprised. And I make everything from scratch also.
  • carriem29
    carriem29 Posts: 28
    Options
    I aim for $200 every two weeks for a family of four (kids ages 4 &1) but that almost never happens:( I'm an impulse buyer and have a hard time sticking to a list. I'm working on it though:)
  • k8blujay2
    k8blujay2 Posts: 4,941 Member
    Options
    I usually spend around $100-$125 a week (usually closer to the $100 though)... that's for two adults and one baby... I also count non-food items... sometimes I count petfood and supplies, sometimes not... since that's not a weekly thing and it's more like bimonthly. And the funny thing is... I have found that 100% whole wheat bread is cheaper than white bread... by almost a whole dollar now... at least it is at our Target... and I'm talking Mrs. Baird's bread (not sure if that's sold outside of Texas very widely)... I usually buy two or three different kinds of fruit (depending on sales)... enough produce to make a fresh green salad in addition to frozen veg... and everything else.
  • k8blujay2
    k8blujay2 Posts: 4,941 Member
    Options
    COUPON.
    COUPON COUPON COUPON.

Yeah, that's great if you have the time... Couponing is like having a full time job almost... not everyone has the time to do it... with that said, I do try to at least get coupons for non-food items and wait for that to go on sale...
  • gsbanks1
    gsbanks1 Posts: 69 Member
    Options
    I spend about $150.00 a week for groceries for a family of two. Let me explain! My daughter has about 13 food allergies so everything is from scratch and organic. I wish I could cut this amount down to at least $100.00.
  • sjv1966
    sjv1966 Posts: 121 Member
    Options
    I live in Chicago and I spend about $50 to $60 per week for myself only. My shopping cart is usually about 2/3 full of fresh fruit and veggies and the rest is pantry staples (whole wheat pasta, dried beans), low fat dairy, a limited amount of meat and some toiletries and things. I am lucky that I have a non-chain neighborhood store that has great prices on produce since I buy so much. That somewhat offsets the fact that when I do buy meat I always buy the expensive organic/humainly raise kind. I cook almost all of my meals (I eat out maybe two meals a week).

I feel like I am pretty frugal -- for example I make my own chicken stock instead of buying stock in a box -- but after hearing what other people spend maybe not so much! :-)
  • manic4titans
    manic4titans Posts: 1,214 Member
    Options
    COUPON.
    COUPON COUPON COUPON.

I agree and coupon for anything i can... but don't you find that it's more so for unhealthy items.. I definitely stock up when things are on sale and even more so if I have coupons...

IF you use coupons for toothpaste, bodywash, deodorant, etc , it will save you money to use towards the healthy stuff.

I do NOT pay for toothpaste, deodorant, shampoo, etc. I combine coupons with sales. In fact, yesterday I got 4 kid toothpaste for FREE (had to pay tax) at Walgreens. That saved me $3ish per tube.
  • GroupXZ
    GroupXZ Posts: 196 Member
    Options
    I spend about $15 - $20 a week on myself.
  • harribo_mum
    Options
    We spend £70 for all 5 of us a week I'm in the UK so don't know what that is in $ sorry
  • pooka1184
    Options
    I spend around 50-75 dollars a week for 2 adults and a cat
  • BAMFMeredith
    BAMFMeredith Posts: 2,829 Member
    Options
    I'd say we spend about $150 a week on a family of 3. This includes all non-food items as well, I think that's pretty average.
  • BAMFMeredith
    BAMFMeredith Posts: 2,829 Member
    Options
    I spend about $15 - $20 a week on myself.

HOW IS THAT POSSIBLE??? Including toiletries? All food?? Everything??