Lower fat foods with higher fiber and higher protein

Options
bfgalvan
bfgalvan Posts: 13 Member
I need to get some higher fiber and higher protein foods into my diet. Everyday I seem to be short on protein and fiber.

Replies

• amaodonnell
    amaodonnell Posts: 100 Member
    Options
    I am looking for some higher protein foods too that aren't too terribly high in calories. So I am bumping this!
  • amaodonnell
    amaodonnell Posts: 100 Member
    Options
    I did a little reading, flax seed is good for both protein and fiber. Try to incorporate it into things.
  • CMB1979
    CMB1979 Posts: 588 Member
    Options
    Ditto... I do get enough protein but my fiber is bad. One visit to the potty every 3-4 days can't be healthy.

I'll try to find Flaxseed, lentils, and Black Beans today.
  • Toddrific
    Toddrific Posts: 1,114 Member
    Options
    beans
    broccoli i believe
    i like me some raspberries for fiber, mix them with greek yogurt, bam!
  • DyannAlvarez
    DyannAlvarez Posts: 162 Member
    Options
    Chia seeds are good too for both.
  • bluefox9er
    bluefox9er Posts: 2,917 Member
    Options
    Red kidney beans, black beans,and chick peas..
  • spammyanna
    spammyanna Posts: 871 Member
    Options
    Check my diary, I eat a lot of high protein/high fiber foods. That ratio it really important to me.
  • RachFace1000
    RachFace1000 Posts: 154 Member
    Options
    bump for later (:
  • Silver_Star
    Silver_Star Posts: 1,351 Member
    Options
    Yummy Pinto bean soup!!! Soooo good and high in fiber and low in fat if you dont add much oil!
  • DonnaRe2012
    DonnaRe2012 Posts: 298 Member
    Options
    Ground or milled flax seeds. Your body cannot process the whole seeds
  • Rjdj3530
    Rjdj3530 Posts: 154
    Options
    Tilapia does real well for this.
  • micheles234
    micheles234 Posts: 73 Member
    Options
    I've been low on fiber lately. just snacked on fiber one 80 calorie honey square cereal. 80 calories for 3/4 cup and it was 10 grams of fiber!! I ate it dry, gonna pack some for my morning snacks at work.
  • thelovelyLIZ
    thelovelyLIZ Posts: 1,227 Member
    Options
    Fiber:
    Oatmeal
    Quinoa
    Brown rice
    Whole wheat bread
    Most fruits and veggies

Protein:
    Lean cuts of meat
    fish
    eggs
    nuts and nut butters
    tofu
    tempeh
    quinoa
    whey powder
  • msunluckythirteen
    msunluckythirteen Posts: 335 Member
    Options
    I have at least one smoothie a day. I use almond milk, frozen unsweetened fruit, 1 cup of fresh spinach, and whey powder. You could easily add chia seeds or flax seeds to this also.
  • DominiqueSmall
    DominiqueSmall Posts: 495 Member
    Options
    Black beans are awesome for protein as are eggs, cheese, chicken, fish, tuna, brocolli, peanut butter, almond butter and so forth.
  • zenchild
    zenchild Posts: 680 Member
    Options
    I love Greek yogurt for protein. Chia seeds have protein and fiber but you have to find a good recipe. I tried them for the first time today and they're like little blobs of flavorless jello. Not much fun. I have a batch in the fridge now that I'm hoping will be more like chocolate tapioca.
    Fruits and veggies are a good way to increase fiber. I like having a sliced apple and PB2 (powdered peanut butter, low fat with all the protein) for breakfast or a snack. A lot of berries are in season now too. I've been eating strawberries and blueberries on the way home from work. I like having something to munch in traffic and I eat less for dinner if I'm not starving.
  • jenalderman
    jenalderman Posts: 411 Member
    Options
    La Tortilla Factory HIgh Fiber Low Carb Tortilla Wraps are an absolute staple for me. 12 grams of fiber for only 80 calories! Also, for my evening snack I have a Blue Bunny Ice Cream which has 3-4 grams hidden in them. Sweet potatoe burgers are a good source between the sweet potatoes and white beans. Of course veggies....veggies....veggies.
  • tmpartington
    Options
    Protein: egg whites (9g/white), tuna (13g/can), whey protein powder/shake (23g protein/100 cal scoop), Fage 0% yogurt (14g/cup)

Fiber - fruits, veggies, high-fiber breads/wraps, oatmeal, nutrigrain low fat eggo waffle, brown rice

Good luck!
  • gogospice
    gogospice Posts: 185 Member
    Options
    I use Quinoa and Chia seeds. Does the trick for me!
  • 77tes
    77tes Posts: 8,013 Member
    Options
    Although fruit can be high in calories, veggies are almost free and have loads of fiber.

Beans are great for both.