How to fit my calories in while teaching

Options
I was on Easter break last week and did great with my calorie monitoring. Now I am back to teaching and I cannot fit my eating into my schedule. I am not one to eat in front of my kids, so I can't stop and take a mid morning snack break. By noon today, I had only eaten 187 calories of my daily required total. I know this isn't good eating practice.

I don't want to drop into starvation mode, but I can't eat during class in front of my students. I'm not sure how to manage my new eating regimen while teaching.

Ideas?

Replies

• skichick1968
    Options
    Why don't you eat a snack when the kids do? I would also eat a protein packed breakfast. Oh, and what about a protein shake. You wouldn't be eating in front of the kids??
  • samf36
    samf36 Posts: 369 Member
    Options
    Maybe add a little More for breakfast like hard boiled eggs or some almonds?
  • whoiskat23
    whoiskat23 Posts: 103 Member
    Options
    Why not eat while they are changing classes? Also don't you have a planning period? What about when they go to lunch?
  • CrazyTrackLady
    CrazyTrackLady Posts: 1,337 Member
    Options
    The kids don't get a snack (I teach middle school students). I don't like protein shakes, they taste yucky. I can fit in a breakfast, but it's the mid morning and mid afternoon snacks I can't do in front of my kids.

I am all for allowing the students to bring in healthy snacks and we all stop to have snack time together. But, I can't monitor the kids' snacks, and I don't want the rest of the students in the school who aren't getting morning snacks to feel left out.

(I'm all about promoting good nutrition and healthy eating, but school policy says no eating in class, including teachers).
  • ErnieM88
    ErnieM88 Posts: 146 Member
    Options
    If you add a few more calories in at breakfast (good ones) then by the time lunch rolls around you will have eaten more calories, also it depends on whether you're hungry or not - if your 187 calorie breakfast is tiding you over until lunch then I wouldn't worry too much about it and just eat those calories at lunch time or dinner time instead.
  • vallemic
    vallemic Posts: 278 Member
    Options
    I am also a teacher. I actually find it easier to eat healthy when I'm teacher (compared to Christmas, Easter and Summer breaks). I plan all my meals and snacks the night before work. I take out what I will have for b'fast (to speed up my morning routine) and pack my lunch box. When the kids go outside for recess break, I usually have my 100 cal morning snack. When they are done eating their lunch, they go outdoors again and that's when I go to the staffroom to have my lunch (ex: salad with chicken, yogurt, apple, maybe a cookie). At the end of the day, when the kids leave, I have my last snack before heading home for dinner.
  • CrazyTrackLady
    Options
    Maybe add a little More for breakfast like hard boiled eggs or some almonds?

I do pop a few almonds into my mouth when the kids are working (but I feel bad for doing so :)

I can't stand hard boiled eggs -- never could keep from gagging on them.
  • vallemic
    Options
    Correction - "when I'm teaching" :)
  • DixiedoesMFP
    DixiedoesMFP Posts: 935 Member
    Options
    Just eat more at lunch and dinner?
  • tigersword
    tigersword Posts: 8,059 Member
    Options
    Eat more before working, and then eat more after working. When you eat your calories don't matter, the total calories is all that matters. If you can't eat at work, just plan around it.
  • pspetralia
    pspetralia Posts: 963 Member
    Options
    I'm also a teacher and on the days I know I can't have a mid-morning snack I eat a bigger breakfast that has a good amount of protein and fiber. Otherwise I eat my snack during my prep time or when the kids are having a snack.
  • cmduncan
    cmduncan Posts: 69
    Options
    I also teach middle school students. I have a planning period in the morning that allows me to have an unobserved mid-morning snack but sometimes I can't make it until the end of the day without an afternoon snack. I eat in front of my students often. I usually give them the same courtesy and allow them to eat too as long as they clean up after themselves and aren't disrupting the class in anyway. They seem appreciative and I haven't had an trouble with it. .You have to take care of you - and teach them how to also.
  • thelovelyLIZ
    thelovelyLIZ Posts: 1,227 Member
    Options
    Eat more for breakfast. Also, if you have some time between passing periods or other short moments of down time, try grabbing a quick snack like a granola bar.
  • CrazyTrackLady
    Options
    Great idea!! I get my planning period right before lunch three times a week, and mid morning twice a week. I just need to take the time to actually eat, versus running around actually working (such is the life of a busy teacher!!)

I managed to sneak a few fresh strawberries in today while the kids were watching an educational video, but boy did I feel guilty for eating in front of them.

I wholeheartedly believe kids should be allowed to have mid morning snacks in my room, as long as I monitor the trash and make sure they clean up. I am teaching health right now and would love to get them into the habit of bringing in ONLY healthy snacks where we can stop, drop and eat mid morning.

The good news is that some of my students are now looking at their food labels and asking themselves "Is this really good to eat?" which is exactly what I want them thinking and doing.
  • vallemic
    Options
    Ok, I just read your scheduling explanation. If no snacking is allowed mid morning and mid afternoon for students and teachers, it's quite simple... you'll have to add calories (I would suggest protein) to your breakfast and lunch in order to get you through to the next meal.

Breakfast - try a cereal higher in fiber and/or protein to keep you full longer
    Lunch - nuts, cheese, meat in your salad followed by greek yogurt (higher in protein)
  • Bloviate
    Bloviate Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    Cheese sticks and nuts are very quick to eat while the students are changing classes.
  • Kooraloo
    Kooraloo Posts: 362 Member
    Options
    I know you don't like protein shakes, but you can make a really yummy strawberry-banana smoothie (add strawberries, bananas, almond milk, yogurt, and 1/2 scoop protein powder) or add protein powder to morning oatmeal (keeps me full for hours).

Also: can't you talk to the administration about the food policy? Our school has one, but the administration agreed to undo the policy. So now, teachers decide if students get food in class or not. You can always eat during passing/planning periods, too!
  • engineman312
    engineman312 Posts: 3,450 Member
    Options
    yucky protein shakes?? i love mine. how are you making them?? i like it with some orange juice, frozen fruit, and a little yogurt.
  • AABru
    AABru Posts: 610 Member
    Options
    I teach high school ,and when we have class changes, I grab something quickly...do you have planning time? Unlike you, I don't feel bad eating in front of the kids and speak openly about my quest for health and wanting to play with my OWN children without getting tired. I also have been known to quickly eat an apple on the short walk to the restroom when I have to go...
  • jayliospecky
    jayliospecky Posts: 25,022 Member
    Options
    If it's school policy for there to be no eating in class, and you don't really get a break, then yeah, you're a bit stuck. But if you eat a bigger breakfast and a bigger lunch and bring a snack for RIGHT when school is done, shouldn't that help?

I'm surprised there's no time for a little break. What happens if you have to use the bathroom?

Also, I know teaching is busy, but if you don't take a snack when you need one, you might become SCARY teacher, which is much worse. If you have a prep period, it doesn't take long to have a quick snack. A hungry teacher is a scary teacher.