Food for stress relief?

Options
So my doctor has told me physically I'm great. But my reoccuring sinus problems and other numerous issues are being caused by stress. I had two options - remove all medications for a month (only one I take is birth control) or take anti-depressants for a month.

I don't want anti-depressants I want to take control of this myself. There's nothing in my life I feel particularly stressed about but I googled a bit and came across stress relieving foods?
Does anyone have any they can suggest that actually do help? I came across asaparagus?

Replies

• tacticalhippie
    tacticalhippie Posts: 596 Member
    Options
    Anything with magnessium and calcium is supposed to help stress.

I know the supplements to help, because I didn't feel like eating all the recommended foods (and I can't remember them right now).

Vitamin D and Omega 3's are supposed to help.
  • Kymmu
    Kymmu Posts: 1,650 Member
    Options
    I second the magnesium and calcium. I purchased some organic raw cacao pure and dark, which is brimming with magnesium, the bag mentions this may be a reason why women look for some chocolate each month!
    magnesuim in the liquid form when rubbed diresctly onto skin is quickly absorbed. You can also get a salt bath called radox here in Australia which is magnesuim crystals. Good for stress and also for muscle fatigue.
    I hope you are feeling better soon!
  • Alanakrahenbil
    Alanakrahenbil Posts: 811 Member
    Options
    When I'm stressed I go to chocolate, it calms me down. Probably not the best answer but it works for me. I don't keep it in the house or all I would eat is chocolate.lol
  • Meopinionated
    Options
    Here is an interesting link. It first talks about other ways to handle stress/depression. Towards the bottom it addresses foods.

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC2077351/

I would suggest you look up foods rich in tryptophan. You could try meditation for management of stress. Yoga is said to be stress relieving. Sex is said to release anti-stress hormones. :) Also music therapy is suppose to help with stress.

Here is a link I found with a list of tryptophan foods. I am always a little mistrusting of sites unless I know they are authentic. I suggest you do some research on several sites before choosing.

http://www.whfoods.com/genpage.php?tname=nutrient&dbid=103