Muscle Soreness

Options
Can eating protein after your workout and/or taking a daily multivitamin help prevent muscle soreness?

I had two workouts, exactly the same, and after the first one I was REALLY sore for two days, and then I did the other one, but that time I had a dinner rich in protein and I started a daily multivitamin and I haven't been sore at all. I know your muscles need protein and all that, my question is just strictly wondering if the protein (and/or vitamin) also helps in the soreness?

Replies

• rinalynn
    rinalynn Posts: 87
    Options
    I drink a protein shake after a hard workout and it does help recover faster.
  • kandyjo
    kandyjo Posts: 4,648 Member
    Options
    Hmmm....I really don't know.... I know that soreness (moderate) is common.... That is just your muscle doing what its supposed to be doing and that is where the benefits come in.... So, when i have muscle soreness I know that something good is taking place.... I don't work that muscle group again for a day or two to let it recover...

Sorry, I don't have an answer to your qustion though....
  • hiddensecant
    hiddensecant Posts: 2,446 Member
    Options
    If you research recovery drinks, you'll find a carb to protein ratio of 4:1. An easy way to get it is with chocolate milk which is highly recommended among professional atheletes and trainers.

Some runners swear by having some banana before their workouts. And your post-workout meal should be rich in protein within 45 minutes of working out. The multivitamin couldn't hurt either; it's the optimal time for nutrient absorption but I don't know if there is a benefit in terms of muscle soreness.

Anyway, yes, protein is good for muscles.