How do you Deal With Grief?

Options
2»

Replies

• 12skipafew99100
    12skipafew99100 Posts: 1,669 Member
    Options
    That truely is a sad way to be. Believe me, you will see him again, one place or another.
  • FJMilner
    FJMilner Posts: 407
    Options
    I lost my Dad in December 2010....he was my hero and I don't think i'll ever "get over it" just learn to manage it and fit the grief into my life. I found that fundraising for the hospice he died at and running helped me lots, I like to think of running time as a time when I can be with Dad, think about him without interuption, even talk to him sometimes (is that crazy??)

Hope you can find something to ease yr pain....x
  • skyeashlee
    skyeashlee Posts: 108 Member
    Options
    hi there, i lost my grandma 2 weeks ago - its very hard part of life to deal with but...it is life.
    we are all still obviously in the grieving stages over here, it has really effected me as was my last grandparent and the one i was most close to! anyway;
    if i can say anything is that from my experience with my grandma, she is at peace now and her last 7weeks on earth was very painful and not living, just existing.. i try not to get selfish and wish her back or why her- type of thing and for me personally trying to accept.....my motto is to live an even fuller life as she would want me to...she as im sure with ur pop wouldnt want tears and to be so full of main...
    also, ive lost 12KG/25lb since the beginning of this yr and am half way to reaching my goal, the last she would want for me is to turn back or stop ..... only would want me to keep going and i have no doubt your grandpoppy would want the exact same from you... so use your energy to go stronger, harder, and be sure to force a smile on your face it would make him proud......hope this helps, thats all i can spare to write as still too fresh for me
    cheers :O)

First of sorry its not really much to do with fitness but I believe in a healthy mind healthy body so how do you cope with grief?
    My grandad died and his 4th year anniversary is coming up this Friday and well for some they may think four years I should get over it but I just can't life ain't fair :'( why did it have to be him there are pretty of people that are unhealthy,murders,rapeist,pedophiles why him he was a great man but because are lifes suck we all die and ill never get to see him or anyone else who dies again,wots the point in life we are born we learn then work till we die just seems pointless.

But hey everyone got problems just wondering how u all cope and stop yourself at times like this doin stupid things?
    Religion is a nice thought and if that makes u sleep better then great but I no ill never see him again
    Ain't writing this to to get replys from u to say sorry for your loss etc coz first of you ain't sorry your just glad it ain't your family second how can u b sorry u ain't done nothing thirdly only coz am writing this don't mean am a soft lad just can't talk to anyone about it so just askin how do u deal with a loss

Thank you ahead of time
  • pinkraynedropjacki
    pinkraynedropjacki Posts: 3,027 Member
    Options
    My mother died of lung cancer 3 years ago next week. I had not spoken to her for years, and even when I was told that she was dying I didn't give a crap. I was then told she had about 2 weeks left, so I went & saw here. Even though I didn't want to, but knew it would kill me if I didn't at least try. I saw her 2 days before she died. I was not even told when she died & actually was in the hospice to see her perhaps one last time & when I got there the nurse had to tell me she'd died the night before.... my family had no intentions of letting me know at all.

So how did I deal with my grief? I drank. Like a freaking fish. I turned into an alcoholic. At the age of 33 I was drinking 1ltr bottle of Jack Daniels, of a 1ltr bottle of Vodka every night.

My son & husband said nothing. I was never a violent drunk & could touch type like a mo fo while off my head. I could remember everything I did at the time I was drunk as well. I never did anything that I should not have done.

Then I stopped. One day out of the blue. Hubby said he would love it if I didn't drink anymore. SO I poured out the whole bottle that I had in the fridge..... and have not touched a drop of anything for 3 years now.

I delt with it in my own way. Like everyone else will in their own way. But remember that at some point you have to move on from it, even though that sounds harsh. If you wallow in grief it WILL destroy you. You don't have to forget the person/s, but you don't have to kill yourself because they are no longer there.
  • marydb0000
    Options
    There's a saying that goes "Holding on to anger is like drinking poison and waiting for the other person to die." You have to find whatever mechanism you can find to let it go. Some use religion, others have tattoos. I've lost both parents, a husband, several friends, and almost lost my son (twice). Believe me, this can eat you up. My faith has healed me and given me hope. Just find SOMETHING - or someone - to help you let go of toxic emotions before they consume you.

Mary
  • myers0machine
    Options
    Dam that was hard reading them but thank you all soo much its helping and will continue to help me so thanks again everyone
  • Kay2405
    Kay2405 Posts: 54
    Options
    I totally know how you feel. My Grandad passed away beginning of January. He'd been ill for a while, so we were kind of expecting it. Exactly 3 weeks later, my Grandma passed away of a heart attack. We were all really shocked. Part of me thinks that she couldn't live without him. It doesn't make it any easier though.
    I started comfort eating a lot, and put quite a bit of weight on. Only had myself to blame really. I realised though, that they wouldn't have wanted me to suffer, and so I made the decision to change my eating habits and join a gym. I always think about them, every day.
    Anyway, if you all need support and motivation, I'm happy for you all to add me. I could do with some encouragement myself. Just remember, they're gone, but never forgotten. xxx
  • Iheartpsychosis
    Options
    First of sorry its not really much to do with fitness but I believe in a healthy mind healthy body so how do you cope with grief?
    My grandad died and his 4th year anniversary is coming up this Friday and well for some they may think four years I should get over it but I just can't life ain't fair :'(

Thank you ahead of time

My sister died 22 years ago, my dad and grandfather 20 years ago. I have never gotten over it and I don't want to. Their deaths played an important part of my life, if i got over it - I would never appreciate how precious life really is.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,695 Member
    Options
    That truely is a sad way to be. Believe me, you will see him again, one place or another.
    There's no assurance of that. Not to turn this into a debate about religion, but no one can say for sure that an afterlife exists.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 28+ years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition