PCOS and BMR

Options
(PCOS = polycystic ovarian syndrome)

I did some research tonight and found this study:

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/18678372

Which determined that the average BMR for a woman without PCOS was 1868 cals.
The average BMR for a woman with PCOS and insulin resistance was 1116 cals.

That's a full 40 percent lower. No wonder it's so hard for those of us with PCOS to lose weight!!

Replies

• ness55811
    ness55811 Posts: 10
    Options
    That is a very interesting article. And a huge difference. Ugh! That explains why at 1200 calories a day, and burning 900-1000 calories a day...I am barely passing the 20 pound mark!
  • Micahroni84
    Micahroni84 Posts: 452 Member
    Options
    Thank you for posting this. I have both and I recently lowered my cal intake from1400 to 1200 to see if it will help and i have a feeling it will!
  • TXBelle1174
    TXBelle1174 Posts: 615 Member
    Options
    I just posted this on the PCOS board. Do you think taking my normal BMR and deducting 40% will put me in the correct range for calorie intake. I am at 1650 right now and also under 50 carbs per day and my weight loss has come to a standstill.
  • sandywerks
    sandywerks Posts: 94 Member
    Options
    Bump
  • dahlialia
    dahlialia Posts: 16
    Options
    I just posted this on the PCOS board. Do you think taking my normal BMR and deducting 40% will put me in the correct range for calorie intake. I am at 1650 right now and also under 50 carbs per day and my weight loss has come to a standstill.

I don't know, it's all just averages, and therefore impossible to know what your own BMR is specifically. I think I would focus on trying to improve the insulin resistance (& therefore raise your BMR).

What seems to be working for me is to be strict about the carbs, and also doing interval training (which is known to improve insulin resistance).
  • littlelily613
    littlelily613 Posts: 769 Member
    Options
    I guess that is why I gain if I eat at my supposed BMR (but I too have pcos and insulin resistance). I guess I'll stick with the calorie intake MFP has given me since it seems to be working thus far.
  • Micahroni84
    Micahroni84 Posts: 452 Member
    Options
    I've lowered my calorie intake to 1200 and continued the same workouts and the weight started melting off. I guess I fit right in that range for women with pcos and IR.
  • ChunTingO
    ChunTingO Posts: 225 Member
    Options
    Thank you so much i have been having a hard time too
  • krisrpaz
    krisrpaz Posts: 266 Member
    Options
    I just want to tell you ladies that PCOS is totally reversible so don't think you have to eat 1,200 calories the rest of your life. I knew I reversed my insulin resistance when the "dirty ring" on my neck cleared up and I realized the 1,200 calories that used to satisfy me no longer did. I am working on raising my calories and repairing my metabolism now. But I feel it was important to eat low carb and low calorie for a while until I lost enough to fix my blood sugar.
  • bookyeti
    bookyeti Posts: 544 Member
    Options
    Interesting article.

However, I'll take losing slower over reducing my calories that low, any day! I know drastically cutting my calories like that would not work for me personally. I would be unhappy, ravenous, and as a result such a way of eating would not be sustainable.

I have PCOS, hypothyroidism and insulin resistance. At almost 5'9" (large framed) my caloric intake is about 1600-1700 a day; I aim for mostly whole foods, less processed. I take Metformin and work-out daily to keep my insulin resistance at bay; I also eat back at least half of my exercise calories. Works for me.

I won't lie... losing weight has been very difficult - despite my efforts - but not impossible. It just takes time (a slow loser) and a lot of extra work. I'm okay with that. I'm in this for the long haul.