Just registered for my first 5K - any help/advice?

Options
2»

Replies

• goaliema
    goaliema Posts: 150 Member
    Options
    bump
  • Anayalata
    Anayalata Posts: 391 Member
    Options
    Don't mean to hi-jack the thread but I got a knee injury while "training" for my first 5k coming up on mid-May.

I don't think it's anything serious as I only really feel the pain when I put all my weight on my leg (like when I'm climbing stairs). There's no swelling and there was no pop or anything like that.

You think I'll be able to run it? I was able to run 3.5 miles without a problem, endurance wise. Just my knee started hurting a lot and I had to stop otherwise I'd probably be able to run a lot longer.
  • Allegi32
    Allegi32 Posts: 302 Member
    Options
    Thank you all for the great tips!!!

I did splurge for some very good running shoes for myself and that definitely helped. I'm planning on starting Couch 2 5K next week - I'm actually going to try doing a workout from Week 3 just to see where I am and how i feel. I really thought my hangup would be trying to catch my breath, but I'm finding it's my legs holding me back. I feel like each leg weighs about 100 pounds and I just can't keep them going. Does that get easier?
  • wbgolden
    wbgolden Posts: 2,071 Member
    Options
    also, never forget: the key is drafting.
    tumblr_llqryze32K1qaggjuo1_500.gif
  • josieandcasper
    josieandcasper Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    Good for you! I ran my first 5k last October and will do it again this Oct. I was so proud of myself, husband and kids. I set this goal and couldn't believe I actually did it and enjoyed it. Some days I had to force myself to get out and run but when I did I felt great!! We finished the 5k in 37 mins:)
    Best of luck to you and enjoy. You will rock!! :flowerforyou:
  • amyindm
    amyindm Posts: 93 Member
    Options
    Yay you!! I had a lot of success with the C25K program... it's a great way to prevent injury by going in too fast/too much too soon and you'll feel a lot happier about your workouts. Stretch lots after if you're having tightness/discomfort, it makes a big difference for me at least.

As far as the heavy leg feeling goes... it really does go away. It still comes back for me if I take more than a few days off and then subsides quickly. Those runs as a new runner will absolutely feel that way.

A few things that helped me a lot this year as I returned to running:

1) feeling like I'm running going forward instead of the bouncing up and down feeling...

2) pushing through my butt with each stride... this will likely lengthen your stride a bit and may make your run feel harder til your body gets used to it.

3) making sure that my arms aren't crossing my body as I run. I've heard different opinions on this of course but this seems to be a popular opinion.

Once you get to that 20 minutes of running mark you'll feel a lot more solid. Then you can knock out a 5k pretty easily. The adrenaline and fun of the race will get you through to the end!