runners: ready for a half marathon in one month?

Options
sarah307
sarah307 Posts: 1,363 Member
ATTENTION RUNNERS :)

Okay, there is a half marathon in ONE MONTH that is in memory of 161 people who lost their lives last year from a tornado in a town about an hour from where I live. I really, REALLY want to run in the race because I am personally connected to this. The furthest distance I've ran EVER was 11 miles back in Dec. I consider my long distance runs now about 7 miles - 9 miles. I try to do one long distance run a week.

*DO YOU THINK I CAN BE READY FOR A HALF MARATHON IN ONE MONTH???*

thanks so much for your comments and advice and support!

Also, what kind of running schedule should I do since it is down to one month time?? because most of the training schedules are 2 to 3 months time?? :)

Replies

• COOKINATOR
    COOKINATOR Posts: 94 Member
    Options
    Im not sure but I think you can give it your best shot......After all you are doing it for a great cause......You talking about the one for Joplin?
  • sarah307
    Options
    Im not sure but I think you can give it your best shot......After all you are doing it for a great cause......You talking about the one for Joplin?

that is correct!
  • xraychick77
    xraychick77 Posts: 1,775 Member
    Options
    if you regularly run 8-9 miles then a few extra should be no problem for you
  • kaitimae
    kaitimae Posts: 727 Member
    Options
    Sounds like you should be good to go! My first half, I trained like crazy, only ran 9 miles as my longest run, and had a wonderful time.

I am doing my 6th half next month and haven't been doing a lot of running. Lots of weight lifting and cycling, but nothing else. I'll still do the half, even though it will probably be difficult. You are in much better shape, so I think you'll be fine!
  • neverstray
    neverstray Posts: 3,845 Member
    Options
    If you run 7-9, you can easily run a half.
  • chuckyp
    chuckyp Posts: 693 Member
    Options
    Sounds like you can pull it off, but remember you can always walk a portion if you need to. Sounds like the cause is more important to you than your finish time anyway. Good luck!
  • godblessourhome
    godblessourhome Posts: 3,892 Member
    Options
    i think you would be able to be ready in a month if you are already used to doing a longish run once a week.

i would do:
    9.5 this week
    5-6 next week
    11 third week
    4 last week
    half marathon

in addition to two short 3 miles runs each week. good luck!
  • lilyfluffbottom
    lilyfluffbottom Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    I think you'll be fine as long as you're running on a regular basis. As previously mentioned you can always walk if you need to. Maybe get an 11miler in next week or two. Good luck!
  • ambeer2
    ambeer2 Posts: 66 Member
    Options
    I think you can do it. That adrenaline you'll have race day will help push you through 13 — just make sure you don't run too fast the first mile!

Did some Googling and found this link about "The Monster Month" from Runner's World that might be helpful:

http://www.runnersworld.com/article/0,7120,s6-238-244-255-8820-0,00.html

I haven't run a half, but am training for a 10K in June and 15K in November. I'd imagine if you just increase your mileage on your long run days by a mile each week, but make sure to rest, you'll be good to go.
  • sarah307
    Options
    oh my gosh! thanks everyone for such great advice!!! I am definitely going to sign up!!!

the worst that can happen is that I walk the last two miles ?! so why not attempt!! i've heard that the adrenaline really gets you through the last part though!

THANKS!
  • wolfchild59
    wolfchild59 Posts: 2,608 Member
    Options
    If you can already run 9 miles, and have run 11 miles in the past, I'd bet that you could just jump into the last month of a training schedule and be just fine. I've done that in the past with training schedules when I had a shortened time from the full schedule vs the time I had before the race I signed up for.

I increased my mileage by a mile each week when I was training for my half and then did just one taper run before, but taper runs aren't required and are totally a personal preference.

So you could do four weeks of starting at 9, then 10, 11, 12, and then the Half on your long run days and be just fine.

I used a modified Hal Higdon plan for my half training and I felt really ready and good to go the morning of my run. My training schedule was:
    Sunday - Long run
    Monday - Strength, full body
    Tuesday - Mid-length run (usually just under half the length of the long run distance)
    Wednesday - alternated weeks of fartleks and hill training since I wanted to improve pace and my half was in San Francisco, but this could easily be another regular run night or cross cardio night.
    Thursday - Strength, full body and a three mile run
    Friday - Rest
    Saturday - 45-60 minutes of cross cardio

I think that you could easily jump into something from where you are and do an awesome job.
  • hailz840
    hailz840 Posts: 136 Member
    Options
    i too am using hal hidgon's training plan -at least it is loosely based on this. i plan to run 10mile maximum before the half. look forward to hearing your progress and the run sounds like it is for a good cause
  • amusco_rn
    amusco_rn Posts: 32
    Options
    You'll do great. I ran my 1st only 3 weeks after completing my 1st 10K. Essentially no prep - longest run before the half was 9 miles, and I only did that once.

what a motivational reason!
  • tenunderfour
    tenunderfour Posts: 429 Member
    Options
    Yes, you will be fine. The Runnersworld SmartCoach app can guide you with a program based on the number of weeks you have left.
  • polar135
    polar135 Posts: 319 Member
    Options
    You can totally do it, just set up good work out schedule (I run 5 miles Tuesday trail style, 6 miles on Thursday Trail style, and then on the weekend i do my long runs on the weekend. (Started @ 7 and now up to 11 miles) My first half is in about ten days.

going to do 13 miles trail style this weekend. Can't wait!
  • sarah307
    Options
    okay guys!!

i am officially signed up for the half marathon! i'll let you guys know how it goes!